up and down: Twitter testing upvote and downvote buttons

WolframaticAlpha
9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

People still use cancerous Twitter? Their random locking of account and then pushing the "Verify account to unlock" and e-begging for your phone number even though it can be done with e-mail too, but they purposely hide that. It was just so thirsty and lame I just deleted account when they did it for the 3rd frigging time.

Twitter is only good as notification tool for "influencers" and companies. So you're kept in the loop for news and notifications about updates or new releases. Beyond that, it's useless cancerous platform.

Yeah. I go on twitter if I ever feel stupid. It lets me remember that there are stupider people in the world. I used to use it for news, but Google News and an app called inshorts suits me better.

17 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Yeah. I go on twitter if I ever feel stupid. It lets me remember that there are stupider people in the world. I used to use it for news, but Google News and an app called inshorts suits me better.

Google News? Wow you so smart 😂 

There's a 103% chance of this going wrong. Just like every time I roll in DnD... 

Spoiler

Just stop playing the game... that's all you have to do... 

Sorry, DnD trauma runs deep. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I only use Twitter to follow people and don't engage in conversations.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:48 AM, Sauron said:

I agree with this forum's mod team that downvotes add nothing but toxicity. They're not as bad if they're only visible to you and used as suggestions for the algorithm I guess. Different reactions than just "like" or "dislike" would probably be a better addition.

This pretty much.

Like the rules on reddit are "upvote relevant, downvote irrelevant" but most people just downvote everything they disagree with. That's what happens on all social media, which is why "downvote" buttons should not exist.

However...

What twitter, reddit, youtube, etc need is a "do not show me this again" button, which acts as a combination "mute, report, block keyword", and let the algorithm determine the intent by first blocking just that post (mute), the thread, everyone in the thread, and then escalating it blocking the original post and everyone in the thread if multiple "do not show me this again"'s are are selected.

And the reason I bring this up, is that, like clockwork, around the third week of every month, twitter will be spammed with clickbait, where every third post will be garbage, and the usernames are always new ones, but it's the same misleading garbage every time, predictably 4 images and some clickbait title to some clickbait site. Now, doing "I'm not interested in this" seems to do absolutely nothing, and instead twitter has started sending me random tweets on my phone and email because multiple people I follow, follow, liked some big celeb's rhetorical tweet.

I want the "topics to follow", "who to follow" and the "what is trending" side panel to disappear permanently. I'm okay with "who to follow" once in a while, but for months it's people I explicitly am not following and am not interested in, and it will keep suggesting the same people for weeks.

I could load something to delete/hide those panels so that it behaves like it does when the window is narrow, but since I run it in the browser, I can't just make one tab a different size.

Anyway I digress, twitter get's "doom scrolled" and "hellsite" a lot for this kind of thing, where they make changes that are detrimental to enjoyment of the site, and instead waste a lot of the user's time, something they can only get away with because "they're not facebook, the other hellsite"

Make the downvote button like a placebo button. It does nothing at all, but clicking it makes the person feel a bit better thinking that it does do something

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 7/24/2021 at 1:30 AM, comander said:

The problem with reddit (and twitter) is that there's too many people. Healthy, non-shoddy communities can only sustain so many people... probably 50-200-1000 (tight-knit core group, extended core, periphery wanderers). LTT seems to have that about down, which is nice. 

true, which is why the smaller reddits tend to do just fine 

On 7/27/2021 at 12:46 AM, comander said:

The only issue is that they're vulnerable to collapse. People come and go. Too much in either way (growth/dillution and user flight) "kills" the community. 

Reddit seems weird to me, there doesnt seem to be a "community" at all, just random users who dont know or care about each other, with similar interests however, but often what they're saying does make the most sense and reflects my own opinion, plus the information is often really helpful and unique in the way you literally cannot find it anywhere else on the internet - the weird thing, and the big downside , is discoverability… you really have to go through a lot of random bs or get really lucky to find what your looking for (for help subjects especially)

So, yeah, weird and somehow weirdly impersonal… but, in its bubble, it works!

On 7/26/2021 at 7:29 PM, Caroline said:

Heh you should try the PC related sites on reddit, Twitter's a kindergarten compared to that.

my fav reddits are r/pcmr (ironically) and r/amd (also ironically because  i dont particulay like amd…)

I only use twitter for p0rn tbth… doesnt seem to serve any purpose besides that.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ah yes the reddit experience.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition