Is microcenter scamming us?

I recently went to a microcenter to see if there were any new cards to my surprise they had some amd cards. Me not being too familiar with their prices I bought a RX 6800, as I sold my 1080ti before the 30 series was released, and have been waiting ever since. Because of this desperation I just threw my card at the cashier and paid 1100$ for the card, when I looked it up it seems that the card should only be valued at 500$. Did I just get scammed by micro center or is there a reason the card is currently priced like this. I think I'm going to return the card, and put my pc out of commission again. As much as I hate waiting I don't think I can justify the price. Has anyone else noticed this? 

Keep in mind the card has a 30 day return which i am planning to take advantage of, and i am more just probing to see if this is common for everyone else/ if any one has some insight. The money isn't a huge deal to me personally as ill just be returning it shortly. Also keep in mind i'm using scamming liberally, i do not feel as though micro center is maliciously trying steal my lunch money. it is just there to grab attention and raise discussion on the topic of the increasing rates we are starting to see with retail prices, specifically with the over 100% mark up on AMD cards. At least locally Nvidias offerings have not had such a drastic increase.

My name chef

Just now, Bi0 said:

I recently went to a microcenter to see if there were any new cards to my surprise they had some amd cards. Me not being too familiar with their prices I bought a RX 6800, as I sold my 1080ti before the 30 series was released, and have been waiting ever since. Because of this desperation I just threw my card at the cashier and paid 1100$ for the card, when I looked it up it seems that the card should only be valued at 500$. Did I just get scammed by micro center or is there a reason the card is currently priced like this. I think I'm going to return the card, and put my pc out of commission again. As much as I hate waiting I don't think I can justify the price. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, they're not scamming you, they're just not AMD direct. They are third-party cards. You pay a premium for this. 

I feel like I would have done a little research before dropping $1100 but either way, yeah that's normal with what's going on right now. Unless you buy your cards at Best Buy or AMD Direct, you're not getting MSRP. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=AMD+Radeon+6800&_sacat=0

The price increases are near universal among graphics cards and retailers. The simple idea behind supply and demand just made it so the prices had to have been increased.

The MSRP AMD Radeon or Nvidia puts on a graphics card are irrelevant, when the market is in a state it is.

I wouldn't say you were scammed, as I would assume the price was shown on the shelves and the screen when using your card, plus the price can likely be seen on their website (and all other retailers their websites), but I understand why this feels shitty.

If you are not happy with the price you paid and can return the card, do that. 

I don't expect the market to normalize any time soon though.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

I feel like I would have done a little research before dropping $1100 but either way, yeah that's normal with what's going on right now. Unless you buy your cards at Best Buy or AMD Direct, you're not getting MSRP. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=AMD+Radeon+6800&_sacat=0

I figured 30 return policy, will come in handy worst case. lol

My name chef

The price the card "should be valued at" is whatever people are willing to pay, in the end.

Micro Center is selling cards at market price. If they sold them at MSRP most of them would just be bought by people who would resell them for a profit. Micro Center is a business, so they're not going to leave money on the table like that.

Please do a bare minimum of research before spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, minibois said:

The price increases are near universal among graphics cards and retailers. The simple idea behind supply and demand just made it so the prices had to have been increased.

The MSRP AMD Radeon or Nvidia puts on a graphics card are irrelevant, when the market is in a state it is.

I wouldn't say you were scammed, as I would assume the price was shown on the shelves and the screen when using your card, plus the price can likely be seen on their website (and all other retailers their websites), but I understand why this feels shitty.

If you are not happy with the price you paid and can return the card, do that. 

I don't expect the market to normalize any time soon though.

I am using "scammed" liberally, i'm not actually accusing them of this, i just was curious as the Nvidia options are only slightly higher than msrp. The amd cards seem to have doubled/ tripled in microcenter. 

My name chef

Just now, tkitch said:

You still haven't said what card you got. 

it does in the description, it was just a rx6800 the gigabyte variant.

My name chef

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Please do a bare minimum of research before spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

Hundreds of thousands? You know when people say that they mean 100,000+. I dont think they spent over 100,000 dollars.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

2 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Hundreds of thousands? You know when people say that they mean 100,000+. I dont think they spent over 100,000 dollars.

It was a typo for hundreds or thousands, as I'm sure you could figure out. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 minutes ago, Bi0 said:

I am using "scammed" liberally, i'm not actually accusing them of this, i just was curious as the Nvidia options are only slightly higher than msrp. The amd cards seem to have doubled/ tripled in microcenter. 

Yeah I assumed the word "scammed" was probably used more in the figurative way.

As for the pricing between AMD Radeon and Nvidia, from my anecdotal experience, I've noticed there is just way less supply of AMD Radeon cards, as compared to Nvidia.

That is not to say Nvidia is readily available, far from it. I think AMD Radeon is just proportionally hit worse by the entire shortage of chips (whatever the reason behind that may be).

That may be why the pricing difference is so much bigger between MSRP and retail in AMD Radeon vs. Nvidia.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It was a typo for hundreds or thousands, as I'm sure you could figure out. 

instructions unclear dog is in microwave.

My name chef

47 minutes ago, Bi0 said:

Keep in mind the card has a 30 day return which i am planning to take advantage of, and i am more just probing to see if this is common for everyone else/ if any one has some insight. The money isn't a huge deal to me personally as ill just be returning it shortly.

It's incredibly short sighted to even suggest that Microcenter "may" be scamming you.

I'd change your title, it's offensive to anyone that knows Microcenter.

IMO, you have failed at every turn to understand what's involved in your purchase.

Do some research into the pandemic and it's effect on economics the world over, or even narrow it down into the chip and silicon shortages that effect everything from your GPU to Ford/Toyota/GMC shutting down plants.

But please, understand that Microcenter has been at the forefront of getting people great deals on PC parts for years.  Kicked Fry's, Amazon's, Newegg's asses many times over with some of their specials.

🙂   Much love for MC.  Much.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I am going to say something that may not win me any friends or be a popular opinion. 

If you return the card after opening in and using it because of buyers remorse, you are "scamming" them, not the other way around. 

I understand and get that you are within your rights to do so, but it's a dick move. That is one more card that can't be sold as new in a time where cards are already difficult to get. 

With how long this gpu drought has been going on, and how widely it's been reported on (even non-tech news sites have reported on it) I find it extremely hard to believe that you didn't know that prices were jacked up. And even if you truly didn't, why not bust out your phone and read a review of the card before buying it? 

First MSRP is basically meaningless. For an AMD card, it would only apply to a reference model from AMD direct. I'm not sure about AMD in particular, but I know that with Nvidia the MSRP is actually only a 1-5% margin over the cost of the GPU + VRAM to AIB partners. In other words, it's basically impossible for a partner to sell their cards at MSRP and make a profit. As result, partner cards are always more expensive than the reference/founder's.

Then, the actual manufacturing and shipping costs are more right now because of the pandemic and supply chain issues. So, cards are more expensive than they normally would be because of that.

Finally, in the U.S., you have an automatic 25% tariff on top because of the Trump administration. So if the card would have been $800, it's now a $1000.

This isn't Micro Center. It's just the world we now live in.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Funny that thats what you found. Up here in Canada at Memory Express which is our closest thing to a microcenter AMD cards have been FAR easier to get a hold of and are selling for about MSRP. Now I assume the reason why its easier is because they backordered way more Nvidea cards for customers so when they get shipments they are already spoken for where as AMD cards being less popular have less backorders but still, I was able to walk in to one a couple days ago and get my 6800 for CAD MSRP

On 6/18/2021 at 12:27 AM, Blue4130 said:

I am going to say something that may not win me any friends or be a popular opinion. 

If you return the card after opening in and using it because of buyers remorse, you are "scamming" them, not the other way around. 

I understand and get that you are within your rights to do so, but it's a dick move. That is one more card that can't be sold as new in a time where cards are already difficult to get. 

With how long this gpu drought has been going on, and how widely it's been reported on (even non-tech news sites have reported on it) I find it extremely hard to believe that you didn't know that prices were jacked up. And even if you truly didn't, why not bust out your phone and read a review of the card before buying it? 

Yeah, I mean I didn't know the MSRP at the time, I also mistook it as the 6800xt. So lost on both accounts.

I find it hard to think of it as a "dick move" then the market that this card is intended for cannot afford it because it is over MSRP by roughly 120%. So the people i could be effecting wouldn't be able to buy it in the first place, fault lies with the third party, or microcenter. Also micro center should just resell it as an open box product, so either way it's not a "dick move" on my part.

On 6/18/2021 at 1:11 AM, Ravendarat said:

Funny that thats what you found. Up here in Canada at Memory Express which is our closest thing to a microcenter AMD cards have been FAR easier to get a hold of and are selling for about MSRP. Now I assume the reason why its easier is because they backordered way more Nvidea cards for customers so when they get shipments they are already spoken for where as AMD cards being less popular have less backorders but still, I was able to walk in to one a couple days ago and get my 6800 for CAD MSRP

I'm curious, was it a reference, or a third party card?

On 6/18/2021 at 12:56 AM, Chris Pratt said:

First MSRP is basically meaningless. For an AMD card, it would only apply to a reference model from AMD direct. I'm not sure about AMD in particular, but I know that with Nvidia the MSRP is actually only a 1-5% margin over the cost of the GPU + VRAM to AIB partners. In other words, it's basically impossible for a partner to sell their cards at MSRP and make a profit. As result, partner cards are always more expensive than the reference/founder's.

Then, the actual manufacturing and shipping costs are more right now because of the pandemic and supply chain issues. So, cards are more expensive than they normally would be because of that.

Finally, in the U.S., you have an automatic 25% tariff on top because of the Trump administration. So if the card would have been $800, it's now a $1000.

This isn't Micro Center. It's just the world we now live in.

I'm just surprised as the Nvidia cards are only up by 25% at the most usually less aib or not. so in wondering is amd is just making them at a drastically lower price than aib compared to Nvidia and their aibs.

My name chef

They're not really scamming anyone, as it's just the MSRP of aftermarket cards that can add hundreds of dollars more than what a reference design card sold by AMD or Nvidia will ever be. I got my RX 6900XT from Micro Center for MSRP price and it's great!

Do more research about the costs of the components before going in to make a purchase. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Im just curious as to why it seems amd aib, are so high compared to nvidias. If anything I would expect it to be the other way around.

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

They're not really scamming anyone, as it's just the MSRP of aftermarket cards that can add hundreds of dollars more than what a reference design card sold by AMD or Nvidia will ever be. I got my RX 6900XT from Micro Center for MSRP price and it's great!

Do more research about the costs of the components before going in to make a purchase. 

My name chef

1 minute ago, Bi0 said:

Im just curious as to why it seems amd aib, are so high compared to nvidias. If anything I would expect it to be the other way around.

It's not that amd is high, it's thst Nvidia msrp was unrealistically low (as far as letting the aib guys to make a profit) 

I don't agree with the pricing, I think cards are too high, but I see why amd msrp is higher. 

And as for the dick move. I am specifically talking about not doing your research and then finding out after the fact but still using the card. This is one reason why msrp is high. (not the only reason obviously) but manufacturers bake in to their calculations people that return cards for any reason. Less cards returned = lower msrp (it doesn't happen generation by generation, it's a historical calculation) 

If you were to return the card unopened, my dick move comment is negated. 

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It's not that amd is high, it's thst Nvidia msrp was unrealistically low (as far as letting the aib guys to make a profit) 

I don't agree with the pricing, I think cards are too high, but I see why amd msrp is higher. 

And as for the dick move. I am specifically talking about not doing your research and then finding out after the fact but still using the card. This is one reason why msrp is high. (not the only reason obviously) but manufacturers bake in to their calculations people that return cards for any reason. Less cards returned = lower msrp (it doesn't happen generation by generation, it's a historical calculation) 

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I mean in saying that your essentially telling me that what I do don't actually contribute to anything harmful lol. And I was originally intending to just keep it if it preformed at the level I needed it to unforchantly that is not the case.

My name chef

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

But that is a good point, amd may be more relaxed, and the aibs are likely taking advantage of that. That's the only theory so far with any substance. With what ravendarta said idk if It holds up.

My name chef

7 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I don't see how Nvidia MSRP was too low, Nvidia undercut the AIB companies with an FE card that is comparable to the mid tier AIB cards at the same price or cheaper.

Although in North America FE cards are more difficult to find than an AIB card, Nvidia only sells FE cards through Bestbuy, instead of their store directly.

The AMD GPU msrp being higher makes sense though, TSMC 7nm is used for both AMD CPU and GPU's, making supply and demand the main issue.

3 minutes ago, Bi0 said:

I mean in saying that your essentially telling me that what I do don't actually contribute to anything harmful lol. And I was originally intending to just keep it if it preformed at the level I needed it to unforchantly that is not the case.

If you aren't satisfied with the performance you can likely sell it for what you paid even if the box was opened and you actually used it. The whole GPU market is crazy, everything is worth a lot more even old used gpus.

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't see how Nvidia MSRP was too low, Nvidia undercut the AIB companies with an FE card that is comparable to the mid tier AIB cards at the same price or cheaper.

Although in North America FE cards are more difficult to find than an AIB card, Nvidia only sells FE cards through Bestbuy, instead of their store directly.

The AMD GPU msrp being higher makes sense though, TSMC 7nm is used for both AMD CPU and GPU's, making supply and demand the main issue.

If you aren't satisfied with the performance you can likely sell it for what you paid even if the box was opened and you actually used it. The whole GPU market is crazy, everything is worth a lot more even old used gpus.

Yeah I have been thinking about it, i just don't know if I can wait for the possiblity of a buyer. I don't wanna be stuck with it.

My name chef