Sports Photography Superzoom

Hello, I will eventually purchase front row seats on my favorite sport. F1 but before I do the only lens I have to film with is a 55-250mm is stm by canon. I need a superzoom and a smooth zoom at that. for shots like these 

and yes this is a exaggeration I dont expect the quality to be like that they have dedicated professional photographers and I have my little canon m50. But im saying that concept of zooming.

EDIT: skip to this time 1:29

How much longer do you want? 

Id really just keep the m50 and the 55-250, and crop a bit if needed, should look a good amount better, and you already have the equipment. 

Also IDK how the stadium looks, but most of the spots the audience is in isn't great for photos/videos, and the media/cameras have much better location. Id try to get a media pass if you want better pictures(not sure how it works for this event, but smaller races should be somewhat easy)

13 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Hello, I will eventually purchase front row seats on my favorite sport. F1 but before I do the only lens I have to film with is a 55-250mm is stm by canon. I need a superzoom and a smooth zoom at that. for shots like these 

and yes this is a exaggeration I dont expect the quality to be like that they have dedicated professional photographers and I have my little canon m50. But im saying that concept of zooming.

Where will you be situated. with many F1 GPs theres fences to contend with

13 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I dont think that shot is produced by zooming, just tracking/panning.

16 hours ago, For Science! said:

Really?

Edit: it is because of the distortion when it gets wider.

18 hours ago, For Science! said:

there are multiple camera systems being used in this video, ranging from broadcast cameras with box/power-zoom lenses to PTZ cameras placed at various locations and the POV cameras mounted around the cars.  the zoom lenses being used for the shots where there is zooming are power-zoom lenses that are likely parfocal in design, not manual zoom like photocamera lenses.  formula 1 is a industry that has a value of at least a few billion, the media coverage for the event is going to have a big budget and the media setup/crew will be using very expensive equipmnet.

just look at the price of professional video camera lenses
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lenses/ci/1884

you have camera systems that are helicopter mounted

big heavy shoulder mounted cameras that cost well over $20000, specially with the lenses for those cameras. not your cheap DSLrs

Formula one camera operator at the Hungarian Grand Prix 2019. GV LDX86n  (OC) : Broadcasting

Formula 1 - Qualifying Results - 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

2 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

there are multiple camera systems being used in this video, ranging from broadcast cameras with box lenses to PTZ cameras placed at various locations and the POV cameras mounted around the cars.  the zoom lenses being used for the shots where there is zooming are power-zoom lenses that are likely parfocal in design, not manual zoom like photocamera lenses.  formula 1 is a industry that has a value of at least a few billion, the media coverage for the event is going to have a big budget and the media setup/crew will be using very expensive equipmnet.

im saying I want to take a low budget type of shot like that, Like I dont expect at all to be anywhere close to that quality.

11 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

im saying I want to take a low budget type of shot like that, Like I dont expect at all to be anywhere close to that quality.

its easy to mimic shots like these using a dslr and a lens, for an experienced camera operator and iwth a bit of post editing

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

8 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

its easy to mimic shots like these using a dslr and a lens, for an experienced camera operator and iwth a bit of post editing

is there any way I can get a gear on my lens and get like a motor for smooth zooming? Or would I better off just doing it in post.

Edit: im gonna need a fluid head wont I.

16 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

just look at the price of professional video camera lenses
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lenses/ci/1884

big heavy shoulder mounted cameras that cost well over $20000, specially with the lenses for those cameras. not your cheap DSLrs

wow yes ENG lenses aimed at broadcast studios are pricey, its not like their target has massive wallets

yeah broadcast cameras are pricey but they don't need to be. sonys "interchangeable camcorder line" FX/FS do lots of this work for 1/2 or more the cost
let alone something like a Panasonic bgh1

9 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

is there any way I can get a gear on my lens and get like a motor for smooth zooming? Or would I better off just doing it in post.

best thing you can do to help you get more smooth zooming is a follow focus system, which means your turning a wheel instead of the lens barrel

1577444407_IMG_1285002.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1524982-REG/tilta_ff_t06_new_light_follow_focus.html

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

wow yes ENG lenses aimed at broadcast studios are pricey, its not like their target has massive wallets

yeah broadcast cameras are pricey but they don't need to be. sonys "interchangeable camcorder line" FX/FS do lots of this work for 1/2 or more the cost

best thing you can do to help you get more smooth zooming is a follow focus system, which means your turning a wheel instead of the lens barrel

1577444407_IMG_1285002.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1524982-REG/tilta_ff_t06_new_light_follow_focus.html

: o cool ima have to dump one of my lenses to fit those though. Which lens should I dump 15-45 or 22mm f2.0. on top ima have to do some upgrading to my setup (new tripod)

11 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Edit: im gonna need a fluid head wont I.

You could utilize a follow focus system for the zoom. Fluid tripod head could help too.

But IMO you're way overthinking this. Your camera and lens is 100% capable of recording the shot as is. The only limitation now is the operator. Go find an active road and practice the motions. You'll need to simultaneously rotate the zoom and pan the camera while maintaining a steady grip. Tricky yes, but absolutely possible and something professionals do handheld all the time. 

A tripod may help, but honestly it will likely make the motion more cumbersome, particularly with the ergonomics trying to simultaneously zoom. With a lightweight camera like the M50, you're less restricted handheld.

Just now, harryk said:

You could utilize a follow focus system for the zoom. Fluid tripod head could help too.

But IMO you're way overthinking this. Your camera and lens is 100% capable of recording the shot as is. The only limitation now is the operator. Go find an active road and practice the motions. You'll need to simultaneously rotate the zoom and pan the camera while maintaining a steady grip. Tricky yes, but absolutely possible and something professionals do handheld all the time. 

A tripod may help, but honestly it will likely make the motion more cumbersome, particularly with the ergonomics trying to simultaneously zoom. With a lightweight camera like the M50, you're less restricted handheld.

its night in australia so ima wait till the next day and try tracking cars

4 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

: o cool ima have to dump one of my lenses to fit those though. Which lens should I dump 15-45 or 22mm f2.0. on top ima have to do some upgrading to my setup (new tripod)

nether can really be sold if you don't have something to fill their need.

if I were you I'd just enjoy the race and let other people work

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

nether can really be sold if you don't have something to fill their need.

if I were you I'd just enjoy the race and let other people work

im doing it for fun, and on top I love doing it.

Edit: im probably only gonna take 100 different photos

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

budget for a Sony FX9 camera kit that can be used for an event like a Formula 1 race or other sports event

fx9 = abput $10000 for the body

v or gold mount batterie system to keep the camera running all day with minimal need to switch out batteries = at least $500-1000

power zoom lens with parfocal capabiity (not cine or photo lenses) = at least $4000-10000 depending on the make model

wireless video transmission system = at least $1500

this doesn't include other customizations individual camera ops might want, like replacing the native sony viewfinder with a better model from a third party or other accessories

we;re still talking quite a big chunk of money

while camera bodies or the brain doesn't have to be the most expensive or highest end (we still use a canon 5D MK II that's 10+ years old), its the accessories that bring up the cost of a kit

this is a video of someone with an older Fs7 rigged out for eng work

or adapters for mounting professional lenses on a Sony E mount

1 minute ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

budget for a Sony FX9 camera kit that can be used for an event like a Formula 1 race or other sports event

fx9 = abput $10000 for the body

v or gold mount batterie system to keep the camera running all day with minimal need to switch out batteries = at least $500-1000

power zoom lens with parfocal capabiity (not cine or photo lenses) = at least $4000-10000 depending on the make model

wireless video transmission system = at least $1500

this doesn't include other customizations individual camera ops might want, like replacing the native sony viewfinder with a better model from a third party or other accessories

we;re still talking quite a big chunk of money

this is a video of someone with an older Fs7 rigged out for eng work

or adapters for mounting professional lenses on a Sony E mount

I cant even afford a good nd filter. Lol I can afford a tripod cause I can justify my self and I am not doing it professionally. 

here is a photo of someone using a sony FS or FX camera, maybe FS7

the body of the fs7 mk 1 or mk 2 brand new is around $5000 with a good bargain, but the add ons needed to do the job likely will bring the cost of the kit to at least $20000

F1 confirms season three of Netflix series 'Drive to Survive' is in  production · RaceFans

This setup below likely costs about $15000 at the minimum
May be an image of one or more people, camera and screen

This one below is a lot more expensive and this is a kit owned by someone I know uses for motorsports coverage.  here this kit also includes a talkback/intercom system which is integrated in the camera so that the camera operator can communicate with the people working in the production control room
May be an image of one or more people

Just now, LaFemmeEnVert said:

here is a photo of someone using a sony FS or FX camera, maybe FS7

the body of the fs7 mk 1 or mk 2 brand new is around $5000 give or take, but the add ons needed to do the job likely will bring the cost of the kit to at least $20000

F1 confirms season three of Netflix series 'Drive to Survive' is in  production · RaceFans

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I cant even afford a good nd filter. Lol I can afford a tripod cause I can justify my self and I am not doing it professionally. 

14 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

my comments are not to you, but people who think they know more than someone who does camera work full time and team up with others who do the same job.  some of my friends work as formula 1 and nascar and other sports camera crews, others work producing stuff like eurovision

if you want to do this for fun or hobby or for your own personal use, you don't need expensive gear like this.  but you will need to think ahout how you can block the shot and with some editing in post to mimic the visual style

if you want to add a power zoom capability to any lens, you can do it by adding a motorized focus system which have come down in prices in recent years
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1438685-REG/tilta_wlc_t04_nucleus_nano_wireless_lens_control.html

I use this kit and similar with some of my Nikon and Canon photo lenses on cinema cameras to do power zoom and follow focus, even wirelessly when the cameras are mounted on gimbals or cranes

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1367922-REG/tilta_nucleus_m_wireless_follow_focus.html

20 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

my comments are not to you, but people who think they know more than someone who does camera work full time and team up with others who do the same job.  some of my friends work as formula 1 and nascar and other sports camera crews, others work producing stuff like eurovision

if you want to do this for fun or hobby or for your own personal use, you don't need expensive gear like this.  but you will need to think ahout how you can block the shot and with some editing in post to mimic the visual style

if you want to add a power zoom capability to any lens, you can do it by adding a motorized focus system which have come down in prices in recent years
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1438685-REG/tilta_wlc_t04_nucleus_nano_wireless_lens_control.html

I use this kit and similar with some of my Nikon and Canon photo lenses on cinema cameras to do power zoom and follow focus, even wirelessly when the cameras are mounted on gimbals or cranes

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1367922-REG/tilta_nucleus_m_wireless_follow_focus.html

okay.