who thinks earlier 2000-2017 was the golden age of pop music? and now its just "meh" feel free to prove me wrong :) (warning can have oppions)

Justplayedcards
Go to solution Solved by Justplayedcards,

ye 🙂

I have a hard time picking any era's pop music over 1960s pop music. And while I'm old, this isn't nostalgia speaking. I'm not THAT old, these were still out long before I was born.

This is far too expansive a time period to have any meaning as a comparison. 2000-2017 takes us from boy bands to many of the same artists that are popular today. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

agreed 100%. current pop music is trash, and the era from 2005-2015/16 was the best. Still my playlist is stuck in that era. 

21 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I have a hard time picking any era's pop music over 1960s pop music. And while I'm old, this isn't nostalgia speaking. I'm not THAT old, these were still out long before I was born.

Yeah i love those songs too 🙂

20 hours ago, clayface said:

agreed 100%. current pop music is trash, and the era from 2005-2015/16 was the best. Still my playlist is stuck in that era. 

true

Give Dua Lipa’s ‘Future Nostalgia’ and Rina Sawayama’s ‘Sawayama’ a listen. Both albums span decades of sound and various genres with unique production. Easily my two most played albums this past year, outside of film scores.

This is permanently on my gym playlist:

I want to experience this live so badly:

Eh. Every generation of pop music has it's good & bad. Music is subjective. My taste in music is rooted deep in Thrash Metal & Hard Rock. But, I can't ignore that pop artists like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, P!nk etc have some absolute bangers.

Like this from Katy Perry, albeit a rip off from pop artist Dagny.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

18 hours ago, Vangeli said:

Give Dua Lipa’s ‘Future Nostalgia’ and Rina Sawayama’s ‘Sawayama’ a listen. Both albums span decades of sound and various genres with unique production. Easily my two most played albums this past year, outside of film scores.

This is permanently on my gym playlist:

I want to experience this live so badly:

bet i willl give them both a listen 😄

14 hours ago, Virus__ said:

Eh. Every generation of pop music has it's good & bad. Music is subjective. My taste in music is rooted deep in Thrash Metal & Hard Rock. But, I can't ignore that pop artists like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, P!nk etc have some absolute bangers.

Like this from Katy Perry, albeit a rip off from pop artist Dagny.

yeah true i love classic rock like Beatles ,queen,  ACDC, etc. and I'm 16 but I love older song but i have nostalgia  for older songs from 2010-2017 idk I just don't like the "new" songs now 

music makes the happy juice in the brain = good. 

Doesn't matter if that music came out in 2021 or the 1970s, I listen to what I enjoy across a fuckload of genres. I don't think music has gotten any worse over the years. Usually when people say pop is bad now it's because of the written-for-radio stuff played on the radio, but they overlook the thousands of pretty meh songs from every famous classic band as well. I don't think I've found an artist/band under any genre who produced/produces 100% great songs. And bands/artists I'm predisposed to dislike have produced fucking bangers, so seems it's neither here nor there. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 4/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, Zando Bob said:

Doesn't matter if that music came out in 2021 or the 1970s, I listen to what I enjoy across a fuckload of genres. I don't think music has gotten any worse over the years. Usually when people say pop is bad now it's because of the written-for-radio stuff played on the radio, but they overlook the thousands of pretty meh songs from every famous classic band as well. I don't think I've found an artist/band under any genre who produced/produces 100% great songs. And bands/artists I'm predisposed to dislike have produced fucking bangers, so seems it's neither here nor there. 

Yeah bro

On 4/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, Zando Bob said:

🙂

ok, this is pretty simple, the 80s and 90s exist , therefore you're proven wrong, or at least mistaken 😉

Only redeeming feature of the early 2000 was "big beat" and maybe Eminem, everything past that was really like super meh, especially if we exclude j and k pop, which do have some gems here and there.

But yeah, conventional pop music is dead since ~2000

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Did anyone say pop musik?

lol

On 4/30/2021 at 8:21 PM, Mark Kaine said:

ok, this is pretty simple, the 80s and 90s exist , therefore you're proven wrong, or at least mistaken 😉

Only redeeming feature of the early 2000 was "big beat" and maybe Eminem, everything past that was really like super meh, especially if we exclude j and k pop, which do have some gems here and there.

But yeah, conventional pop music is dead since ~2000

ye 

I'd argue most of us didn't grow up in the "golden era" of pop music. After all, it's just what is mainstream of the time.

80's had some outstanding artists that we just wouldn't get today, for example. But you may think the 80's was cheesey garbage. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

On 4/27/2021 at 9:05 PM, Zando Bob said:

Usually when people say pop is bad now it's because of the written-for-radio stuff played on the radio, but they overlook the thousands of pretty meh songs from every famous classic band as well

Its not overlooked, the comparison is indeed beween whats *popular* and nowadays popmusic is simply at an all time low, no innovation, no energy, nothing... that doesn't mean there is no good music made anymore, but its usually niche genres that thrive, you dont hear that stuff on the radio. 

So yes, if you want to get into  semantics, those may still be pop music, but not necessarily popular music, which i think most people talk about when they say "pop music nowadays sux"

*with exceptions, like these girls who give metallica a run for their money for example

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, SeriouslyMikey said:

I'd argue most of us didn't grow up in the "golden era" of pop music. After all, it's just what is mainstream of the time.

80's had some outstanding artists that we just wouldn't get today, for example. But you may think the 80's was cheesey garbage. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.

valid point

On 5/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, SeriouslyMikey said:

yes 🙂

• 3 weeks later...