An upgrade from Galaxy S7?

Joduko
Go to solution Solved by steelo,

I have the S20 and absolutely love it. I think you'll be very happy coming from a S7. I had a S8 which wasn't such a huge leap but everything felt smoother and the pictures were a hell of a lot better with the S20.

I'm looking for an all-around upgrade from the Galaxy S7, especially where battery size/life and camera quality are concerned

Searching in the under 700 USD range, but can expand if absolutely necessary.

Anybody got suggestions?

get something decent.

Not some chinese Huawei or ZTE, trust me you do not want to know what kind of mess they are bringing with them.

Id suggest Samsung again, maybe Samsung Galaxy A71 5G or the Samsung Galaxy A52 5G ?

Used or New? You can comfortably afford a beaten up, maxxed out note 9/10 and the parts to refurb it back together with that budget. But other idea would be the Galaxy A series or S10 Lite which i dont really recommend because of the cheaped out """Glasstic""" body. But if you dont care about that, both will suit you.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

End of 2018, i upgraded from my S7 Edge to a Oneplus 6t. In my Opinion, Pictures were a LOT better, and Performance was also a different league.

Not saying you should get the 6t, but 2018 flaggships are already a huge step.

With other words: It doesn't need to be a Flaggship model, even midrange with like Snapdragon 765~ can give you a huge upgrade, if you don't want to hit 700 USD.

But if you want, a Oneplus 8 Pro (on Sale for 650 atm?) if you don't mind a last years model.
But Oneplus 9 and 9 Pro are very good choices right now: https://www.oneplus.com/oneplus-9

Oneplus 9 comes with the same Camerasensor as the 8 Pro, so i would prefer it over the 8 Pro. 8 Pro however has 1440p. But the 120 Hz Panels from this year are better, they support variable refresh rate, and aren't stuck at 120 Hz at all times.

Since you're not from Europe, you also can't go much wrong with latest Samsung flaggships.

Also, Xiaomi is not bad. But i personally prefer Oneplus alot, because they have a somewhat clean UI but still usefull features (i don't like Vanilla Android), and also the Alert Slider.

So.. Oneplus 9 is my recommendation, very good allround device, and great Camera.

24 minutes ago, Joduko said:

I'm looking for an all-around upgrade from the Galaxy S7, especially where battery size/life and camera quality are concerned

Searching in the under 700 USD range, but can expand if absolutely necessary.

Anybody got suggestions?

I recently upgraded from a Google Pixel 2 to a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G. The difference is night and day when it comes to performance and battery life. Got the S21 in mint condition from a reputable used electronics website for less than $600 after taxes/shipping.

The S21's battery is larger but with the dynamic screen refresh rate I found that it was draining the battery quite significantly. Had to install a screen refresh optimizer (see Galaxy Max Hz on XDA) and tune sleeping apps. Getting a day and a half before needing to recharge. Runs perfectly now with no need to root!

Personally, I liked the way the Pixel Camera on the Pixel 2 took pictures (more vibrant but close to natural colours, great sharpness, excellent portrait mode), but I'm starting to like the S21's as the photos look more natural than previous generations where there was heavy post-processing to smooth skin and flatten images.

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

I recently upgraded from a Google Pixel 2 to a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G. The difference is night and day when it comes to performance and battery life. Got the S21 in mint condition from a reputable used electronics website for less than $600 after taxes/shipping.

The S21's battery is larger but with the dynamic screen refresh rate I found that it was draining the battery quite significantly. Had to install a screen refresh optimizer (see Galaxy Max Hz on XDA) and tune sleeping apps. Getting a day and a half before needing to recharge. Runs perfectly now with no need to root!

Personally, I liked the way the Pixel Camera on the Pixel 2 took pictures (more vibrant but close to natural colours, great sharpness, excellent portrait mode), but I'm starting to like the S21's as the photos look more natural than previous generations where there was heavy post-processing to smooth skin and flatten images.

I have a S20, but one of the best features IMO for the S8 thru S21 is Samsung Dex...I've been using it 75% of the time as a 'PC' (along with a keyboard, mouse and monitor) I'm even able to play AAA games on it (sort of) if I use GeForce Now.

19 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

An upgrade from a flagship that has OIS. Noted

For how long have you used the S7?

How did its battery fare when it was new? Was that good or acceptable?

How is it performing now? What is your target uptime and charge frequency?

Are you in the US? If yes, what carrier?

If no, please provide link to the site where you intend to get it from.

All that aside, what did you like and dislike about the S7?

What features of it do you use, and would like it to be present in the new phone? How is the internal storage? Do you need dual sim? Do you use the headphone jack? Do you need ingress protection? What did you feel about its size and feel.

You are the one paying for and using the new phone. So your opinion and wants are not to be questioned. More info will allow me to exact down to the most suitable candidates for your specific case.

I can't really remember the new battery life, but it doesn't bother me even now. There's nothing bad about the phone, it's exceeded my expectations. I've just had it for so long that I want something newer and better.

US, Verizon

Currently comparing the Samsung S20 vs the A52. Any thoughts?

42 minutes ago, Joduko said:

I can't really remember the new battery life, but it doesn't bother me even now. There's nothing bad about the phone, it's exceeded my expectations. I've just had it for so long that I want something newer and better.

US, Verizon

Currently comparing the Samsung S20 vs the A52. Any thoughts?

I'd definitely lean toward the S20 FE. It'll just be faster and more capable all around, and coming from an S7 it'll feel like a minor revelation.

I have the S20 and absolutely love it. I think you'll be very happy coming from a S7. I had a S8 which wasn't such a huge leap but everything felt smoother and the pictures were a hell of a lot better with the S20.