Is Gaming Keyboard Nessesary?

iCoNrant

Is Gaming keyboard the last peripherals to upgrade or first to upgrade. Need you thoughs on this? 

1 minute ago, iCoNrant said:

Is Gaming keyboard the last peripherals to upgrade or first to upgrade. Need you thoughs on this? 

If you are going from the peripherals only then the Important stuff goes like this 1)keyboard 2)mouse or mice 3)headset, the 1 and 2 could be changed based on the person which is more important to him like I can go with the keyboard -must be mechanical- then the mouse     

you really cant really convey how much of an difference a gaming keyboard makes by writing about it here,

but in all seriousness Yes, theres a huge difference between a simple office and gaming specific keyboard

I dont like the term "gaming" or "office" for keyboards. There are high end ones that focus on giving good typing experience and low end ones that focus on being cheap on both sides.

If you're talking about getting a high end keyboard first or last, I recommend getting it first. It's one of the few things that pretty much never gets outdated and you can use it as long as the keyboard itself still works.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

Gonna depend on what type of games you play. If you play shooters then the keyboard should be the last thing you upgrade since in those games aiming and sound is much more important. If you however play games that mostly use the keyboard then yes, it would be beneficial to get a better, more comfortable one.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I go for Quiet keyboards due to roomies.

As long as it has NKEY rollover (2-3+button mashing doesnt stop inputs going in) and doesn't flex too much I'm good. Extra hotkeys a bonus.

Also easy to find/replace for whatever reason.

I also standby rock solid mechanicals with good reputations, no flex and goodfeels.... due to friend choices and using them as well.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hey there.

1 hour ago, iCoNrant said:

Probably depends on what you value most: typing experience, auditory enjoyment, productivity-centered mouse (i.e. macro buttons), etc.

Plus, also partly dependent on what peripherals you currently possess and how worthwhile the upgrade is for you. For instance, if the setup currently consists of a subpar pair of headphones, a decently satisfying keyboard, and a solid mouse, then I'd be more inclined to replace the headphones first.

In terms of practicality, if you already have a functional keyboard that is comfortable to use, "upgrading" to another keyboard -- "gaming" or otherwise -- is not strictly necessary. Case in point, I'm perfectly happy with the cheapo (but very reliable and comfortable) Lenovo Essential Wired Keyboard I main at work, and don't feel an urge to replace it:

Spoiler

20210204_110736.jpg

Lenovo Essential Wired Keyboard

Membrane Keyboard w/PBT Keycaps + PBT Exterior

On the other hand, I also do enjoy my keebs and I heavily value my casual typing experience, hence my keeb hoard at home:

Spoiler

20201227_203927.jpg

'Chew's Keebs

MGK64 (Build Log) + Qisan Magicforce Numpad (Status Update)

REALFORCE R2 TKL (Build Log)

Eighty #391 (Build Log)

TLDR: Eh, kind of a cop-out answer, but it's up to personal preferences. I'd prioritize the peripheral upgrade based off how much value or enjoyment you'd gain out of the purchase, or attempting to fulfill whatever you find lacking in your current set of peripherals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

3 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Probably depends on what you value most: typing experience, auditory enjoyment, productivity-centered mouse (i.e. macro buttons), etc.

Plus, also partly dependent on what peripherals you currently possess and how worthwhile the upgrade is for you. For instance, if the setup currently consists of a subpar pair of headphones, a decently satisfying keyboard, and a solid mouse, then I'd be more inclined to replace the headphones first.

In terms of practicality, if you already have a functional keyboard that is comfortable to use, "upgrading" to another keyboard -- "gaming" or otherwise -- is not strictly necessary. Case in point, I'm perfectly happy with the cheapo (but very reliable and comfortable) Lenovo Essential Wired Keyboard I main at work, and don't feel an urge to replace it:

Reveal hidden contents

20210204_110736.jpg

Lenovo Essential Wired Keyboard

Membrane Keyboard w/PBT Keycaps + PBT Exterior

On the other hand, I also do enjoy my keebs and I heavily value my casual typing experience, hence my keeb hoard at home:

Hide contents

20201227_203927.jpg

'Chew's Keebs

MGK64 (Build Log) + Qisan Magicforce Numpad (Status Update)

REALFORCE R2 TKL (Build Log)

Eighty #391 (Build Log)

TLDR: Eh, kind of a cop-out answer, but it's up to personal preferences. I'd prioritize the peripheral upgrade based off how much value or enjoyment you'd gain out of the purchase, or attempting to fulfill whatever you find lacking in your current set of peripherals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, CreativeName642 said:

For most, it will go Keyboard -> Mouse -> Headset

4 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I go for Quiet keyboards due to roomies.

As long as it has NKEY rollover (2-3+button mashing doesnt stop inputs going in) and doesn't flex too much I'm good. Extra hotkeys a bonus.

Also easy to find/replace for whatever reason.

I also standby rock solid mechanicals with good reputations, no flex and goodfeels.... due to friend choices and using them as well.

5 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Gonna depend on what type of games you play. If you play shooters then the keyboard should be the last thing you upgrade since in those games aiming and sound is much more important. If you however play games that mostly use the keyboard then yes, it would be beneficial to get a better, more comfortable one.

5 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

I dont like the term "gaming" or "office" for keyboards. There are high end ones that focus on giving good typing experience and low end ones that focus on being cheap on both sides.

If you're talking about getting a high end keyboard first or last, I recommend getting it first. It's one of the few things that pretty much never gets outdated and you can use it as long as the keyboard itself still works.

5 hours ago, Haraikomono said:

you really cant really convey how much of an difference a gaming keyboard makes by writing about it here,

but in all seriousness Yes, theres a huge difference between a simple office and gaming specific keyboard

5 hours ago, Omar.B said:

If you are going from the peripherals only then the Important stuff goes like this 1)keyboard 2)mouse or mice 3)headset, the 1 and 2 could be changed based on the person which is more important to him like I can go with the keyboard -must be mechanical- then the mouse     

These are unexpected by you guys for so many comments, my keyboard is k480 from Logitech, I feel I don't really care about macros, n-key roll overs.

But I have a decent headset with a crappy microphone, do I need to change to a microphone or a keyboard (I mainly play fps so a keyboard is just a base line I think) 

4 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

These are unexpected by you guys for so many comments, my keyboard is k480 from Logitech, I feel I don't really care about macros, n-key roll overs.

But I have a decent headset with a crappy microphone, do I need to change to a microphone or a keyboard (I mainly play fps so a keyboard is just a base line I think) 

well as a fps player or basically a gamer going with mechanical keyboard is the best choice you may not be interested in such of things but it does affect your game play for example going with a keyboard with cherry mx red is one of the best options cuz its good manufactory and high respond time  you can look at youtube if you need any additional information 

5 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

Hm, sounds like you aren't satisfied with both your mic and your keeb. I don't suppose allocating a bit more in your budget to replace both is an option?

Gaming on a non-standard/non-"gaming" keyboard isn't impossible, but accessing certain keys might feel awkward (e.g. smaller function row or arrow keys). I tried it out with a Microsoft Arc Wireless for a time and found that, while it was perfectly functional, it wasn't really optimal for my typing and gaming habits. In my case, a new keeb was definitely worth it, but in yours, it's your call to make whether you'll find value in a new keeb purchase.

As for the headset/mic, I'd say it's less essential than a dissatisfying keeb if you aren't regularly recording your voice, or using it for other important matters (work, family, streaming, podcasts, etc.). For in-game voice chat, if you're shy about the quality of your mic, typing out messages is always an option? I understand it might be a bit clunky for FPS games, though.

If voice chat/recording is essential, however, then I'd prioritize getting a standalone decent mic over a new keeb, if I were in your shoes.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

gaming is mostly focused on a different design. Although there is a lot of trends to HATE around it.

Bad design choices, expensive, riddled with software some being more BS than others, less durable while being more expensive but has the neat features you want?!? From keyboards to mice, headsets etc.

RGB can be pretty fun and sometimes helpful, to choosing a color you prefer or able to read the keys when its dark etc.

RGB software, a hit or miss, found that for keyboards at least steelseries had an built in memory for the lights which helps compared to some of the corsair I got which is more expensive and worse.

If its easy to clean? Is it waterproof? Some of these gaming ones arent. Depending on personal taste and handling, you have to try a bit differnt keyboards. Will say not really too much of a fan for mechanical keys compared to a more laptop style (or low profile mech keys?). Some takes time to get used to.

As for mechanical keys, they can be personalised in feeling if you want, from sound, loud or quiet and key type, strenght or method (light tap, bottom out, half way kind of) etc. Which can be a mess to explore and how much more expensive they can be, to the time to get used to them.

If you ask me, I would say: Depends on your priority. Let's break into reason why I would say this.

Before we begin, let's talk priority, or in other words, the importance the gaming keyboard to you. Many people do have their own priority, and also, the importance of things to them.

So what is importance? Importance means the thing you wanted to have. For example, performance of the system. For gamers, of course they need their computer to be able to run their game, hence this is very important to them.

Priority, on the other hand, is what matter most. You want the best CPU, the best motherboard, the best GPU, and the best gaming peripheral available, and you can have it if you have a lot of cash lying around. But what if you don't? Then priority comes into play. Do you want a powerful processor, while sacrificing a little performance from GPU? Do you, say, I adores beautiful graphic, and go all the way to get the best GPU while sacrificing your processor?

Back to your title: Is Gaming Keyboard Necessary? I would say no, and a big NO in fact. Many people still like to type on normal keyboard. However, this really depends on your preferences. Do you like the mushy membrane keyboard, mechanical clicky keyboard, or the silent keyboard? Do you want a backlit keyboard or fully customisable rgb keyboard? Do you like the feel of the keyboard?

So in conclusion, it really depends on you yourself. Whether you want to upgrade your gaming keyboard first or last is up to you. From here, I would suggest you to slow down and ask yourself: What is important to me, and what is my priority.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I'd argue that, for most people, the difference between a working keyboard (basic membrane) and a good/great keyboard won't make that much of a difference. But once you experience that great keyboard with the perfect switches for you, you won't be able to go back.

Going from a basic membrane keyboard to a fancy mechanical keyboard will give you diminishing returns. A $25 office keyboard is much more cost effective than a $100 mechanical keyboard. I'm not saying people shouldn't get a good keyboard, but rather, if you need to upgrade other peripherals, the keyboard can definitely wait. Though, that also depends on your wants and needs.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

for gaming about any functioning keyboard will do ... and mostly any kind will do ... the mouse is more important than a keyboard can be specially with shooter games ...

That being said if you don't like your keyboard then just change it ... look for features you like and buy accordingly ... also switches is a personal preference and you can game on about any switches and the difference between them will be barely noticeable at best.  Of course if you have really heavy switches you might get tired a bit faster but in the end it won't affect your performances much.  also cherry is overrated imo ... if you can get something else than those just do it, you won't miss anything unless it's basic outemu switches ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

13 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

for gaming about any functioning keyboard will do ... and mostly any kind will do ... the mouse is more important than a keyboard can be specially with shooter games ...

That being said if you don't like your keyboard then just change it ... look for features you like and buy accordingly ... also switches is a personal preference and you can game on about any switches and the difference between them will be barely noticeable at best.  Of course if you have really heavy switches you might get tired a bit faster but in the end it won't affect your performances much.  also cherry is overrated imo ... if you can get something else than those just do it, you won't miss anything unless it's basic outemu switches ...

@Dr0yI now waiting for my kemove snowfox 61 to arrived. I don't choose a mic for now because I'm not streaming yet but I will buy the standalone mic as always. 

8 hours ago, Dr0y said:

yes and no, to that too.

Some gaming mouses have more issues than "normal" mouses and will be useless quickly.

Either by poor design, use of software, or by bad hardware for causing double clicks or scrollwheel issues.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

yes and no, to that too.

Some gaming mouses have more issues than "normal" mouses and will be useless quickly.

Either by poor design, use of software, or by bad hardware for causing double clicks or scrollwheel issues.

that is exactly my point ... you still can game with an ordinary or subpar keyboard but the mouse is quite important and will impact the gaming more than a keyboard will do ... you're saying the same thing as I do ... also I was not talking about gaming mouse specifically but any mouse

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD