What is your iq?

Mao_Zedong
Message added by colonel_mortis

We know this topic is old, but for topics like this it is preferable to reuse the same topic than to create a new one.

Yeah but a lot of people here have other interests like science and mathematics. Generalizing here, but usually people who enjoy these subjects have an above average IQ.

Agreed but being interested in computers usually goes hand in hand with other subjects that I mentioned.

Anyways you dodged my question. 100 is average for Europeans, did you expect us to be below average? By your logic liking computers makes you less intelligent.

It was really just the way you described it though... I have been told that my brain is in my dick before, but never the other way around :lol:

The average result for a properly calibrated IQ test should be 100 across the population as a total.  If it isn't then the IQ test is wrong.  When I said for a certain group (e.g quantum physicists) I would expect the average to rise to 110, what I meant was I would expect the average IQ of the person in that specific group to be higher, but for every person with 110 there will be another person somewhere else with 90 thus bringing the global average back to 100.   In a forum like this the average should still be 100 because it is a broad representation of society, we are not all physicists or math professors, some members clean toilets and others work in petrol stations.  When every second person says theirs is 120 or above then we know that it is all wrong.  There is no way the average IQ on these forums is that high.  It just doesn't work that way.

As much as it would be nice to think my enthusiasm for computers and science means I likely have a higher IQ, unfortunately it doesn't.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Seems that the IQ of most of the people on the internet is over 130. What a coincidence . The problem with a high percentage of people  achieving an IQ 130 means that the average IQ of the world would go up, and since an IQ test is a test of how intelligent you are compared to other people, that will consequently make your(and the IQ of the world) IQ be 100 (IQ of 100 means when you are 10 years old you are as smart as a 10 year old, if everyone was a "genius" around you then everyone would no longer be considered a "genius" and would be considered average since everyone has approximately the same intelligence level). Not sure if the above makes since, I suck at explaining anyways.

Mr-moose explains what I am trying to say, but does it way better (above post)

Also, for an IQ to be 100% accurate, everyone in the world would have to take the same IQ test.

person below me is a scrub

The average result for a properly calibrated IQ test should be 100 across the population as a total.  If it isn't then the IQ test is wrong.  When I said for a certain group (e.g quantum physicists) I would expect the average to rise to 110, what I meant was I would expect the average IQ of the person in that specific group to be higher, but for every person with 110 there will be another person somewhere else with 90 thus bringing the global average back to 100.   In a forum like this the average should still be 100 because it is a broad representation of society, we are not all physicists or math professors, some members clean toilets and others work in petrol stations.  When every second person says theirs is 120 or above then we know that it is all wrong.  There is no way the average IQ on these forums is that high.  It just doesn't work that way.

As much as it would be nice to think my enthusiasm for computers and science means I likely have a higher IQ, unfortunately it doesn't.

This is getting silly now, you think that someone who cleans toilets or works in a petrol station necessarily has a low IQ? It's not always related to your job either.

I agree that there's a few people messing about on the poll and others who have probably just taken some dodgy online tests, but I'm fairly certain that a decent number of people claiming to have IQ's in the region of 100-140 are telling the truth. It's not that exceptional.

This is getting silly now, you think that someone who cleans toilets or works in a petrol station necessarily has a low IQ? It's not always related to your job either.

I agree that there's a few people messing about on the poll and others who have probably just taken some dodgy online tests, but I'm fairly certain that a decent number of people claiming to have IQ's in the region of 100-140 are telling the truth. It's not that exceptional.

you miss understand me,  I was indicating the varying social representation of members on the forum, Meaning that just because we are all computer enthusiasts does not mean we gravitate to the sciences and necessarily have higher IQ's. 

I did not say that toilet cleaners have low IQ's, I don't even now how you read that from my post to be honest.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

just 135 iq is around top 2%, so very few will have that.

I am unfollowing this thred now, so if you want my input, quote me.

Mine is 117 I was tested by a local professional not any of that online BS. 

you miss understand me,  I was indicating the varying social representation of members on the forum, Meaning that just because we are all computer enthusiasts does not mean we gravitate to the sciences and necessarily have higher IQ's. 

I did not say that toilet cleaners have low IQ's, I don't even now how you read that from my post to be honest.

I would argue that people interested in computers and technology do gravitate towards the sciences, and that people who enjoy these subjects tend to have an IQ above average. Okay not everyone has to like science or mathematics on here, but a lot do.

The poll is definitely not to be taken literally here, but I think quite a few of our members have above average intelligence, I would argue the majority, so no IMO its not comparable to the general populous, we are not a perfect slice of the population there will be bias.

just 135 iq is around top 2%, so very few will have that.

I am unfollowing this thred now, so if you want my input, quote me.

So you think it's odd that we might have members here that were in the top 2% of their class in school? Assuming everyone here went to school that would cover the population.

I just don't find it that unbelievable, not talking about the poll here btw, which we know probably isn't accurate. You also have to factor in that this thread is optional, only those who have been tested should participate and generally IQ tests are only offered to those with exceptionally high or exceptionally low expected figures.

I agree that these tests are pointless for accuracy but I think they are good for generalization, lets say below 60 suggests developmental issues, 100 is average and over 145 is genius. I don't think you can really split hairs in between and that an IQ test is not going to affect how successful you are in life or how much of an interesting person you are.

we got the test at our school as of 2010

i have an IQ of 167

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

I would argue that people interested in computers and technology do gravitate towards the sciences, and that people who enjoy these subjects tend to have an IQ above average. Okay not everyone has to like science or mathematics on here, but a lot do.

The poll is definitely not to be taken literally here, but I think quite a few of our members have above average intelligence, I would argue the majority, so no IMO its not comparable to the general populous, we are not a perfect slice of the population there will be bias.

So you think it's odd that we might have members here that were in the top 2% of their class in school? Assuming everyone here went to school that would cover the population.

I just don't find it that unbelievable, not talking about the poll here btw, which we know probably isn't accurate. You also have to factor in that this thread is optional, only those who have been tested should participate and generally IQ tests are only offered to those with exceptionally high or exceptionally low expected figures.

I agree that these tests are pointless for accuracy but I think they are good for generalization, lets say below 60 suggests developmental issues, 100 is average and over 145 is genius. I don't think you can really split hairs in between and that an IQ test is not going to affect how successful you are in life or how much of an interesting person you are.

Why does an interest in maths an science mean someone has a high IQ? And why would LTT forum members have a higher IQ? 

Do you have any statistical data to back this up?

It's not odd that some might, but definitely not as many as are claiming.

IQ tests are completely useless, if you want to prove your knowledge then use it to do something impressive, I don't care about a number.

It's like degrees in music or art, want to impress me, show/play me something cool or tell me about the history of it. The piece of paper means little.

Or something I've got more experience in, car audio. While it's fun seeing how many db your car can do, it's a lot more fun listening to each others systems and trying them out, talking about how they built things, and just generally enjoying it. 

There are many things that are just used as a penis measuring competition, and it is stupid.

2600k@4.5GHz ~ H100 ~ Asus P8Z68V-pro gen3 ~ Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600 ~ Sapphire VaporX 7950 ~ Gigabyte DCU 5770 ~ Kingston 128GB HyperX ~ WD black 2TBx2 ~ WD red 4TB ~ Hauppauge HVR2200 ~ Asus BR drive ~ RAT7 ~ Unicomp model-M

Intelligence, I think some people with an "IQ" of 50-60 would be smarter and more aware of not only themselves, but other people and be more ready to go out and go into the world than one with an IQ of say 180 or something. Just my opinion

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

The concepts you might be looking for are passion and individualism. Those are traits that may be closer associated with to what would be called intelligent (exceptional, in this context) and I don't disagree with you either. 

What you said can be applied to this forum, a music forum, a history forum, or a literature forum. 

IMO the whole IQ system and attempting to approximate how smart someone is, is inherently flawed on account of it being a method to correleate biometrics and organic theory into defined intellect and empiricals.

Sure it might suggest a strong correlation, but it's a designed generic blanket system set to operate with defined parameters and will be increasingly more inaccurate the more exotic the subject is. It just doesn't work trying to simplify something so complex, intricate, and unique, so much to the point of a single number. Unfathomable if you'd ask me. 

And we all know people are exotic, many of us would fall under what we could agree on 'exotic' to mean. Though we do have a fair share of members who are dumb as bricks, so maybe that'll even us out? Lol.

To reiterate, I do think the forum would have a higher than expected average "IQ" (if you so choose to claim validity) because this is not a good sample of the typical population. The divergence would definitely not be to the degree represented by the poll though. 

Error: 410

Why does an interest in maths an science mean someone has a high IQ? And why would LTT forum members have a higher IQ? 

Do you have any statistical data to back this up?

I do believe that people who enjoy these subjects and more importantly understand them tend to have an IQ over 100... Sorry, hands up, no statistics to prove this, just an observation of my own.

To your second question, mr moose was trying to say that the community of LTT was a direct representation of the population of the world, if that was the case then we could just run all statistics based on this community... I think the YouTube community would give a far more realistic (but again not fully accurate) result as it covers a much larger demographic... and we've all seen the comments made on there :lol:

Yeah IQ tests are for the most part pointless, I wasn't disputing that, but I imagine that the majority of people I have spoken to on here could score more than 100 on an IQ test provided by somewhere like Mensa.

And yeah, like I said the poll is obviously distorted by jokers and people who take those basic online tests. This whole argument is based off a comment made earlier which you have reiterated, that this is just a penis measuring contest... I shared my result which I took when I was 15 that just so happened to be over 100 because I thought it added to the topic... I took offence to that because it was not my intention at all, it wasn't to gloat, it was to try and give an accurate representation in this thread.

So I raised the question.

I've never actually taken an official IQ test, and all I have to go on is an online Mensa test that I just sorta muddled through. If I recall, I got something in the 120-130 range, but it really isn't that important in the first place, and much less so due to the fact that I'm a teenager and my mind is still developing. So, whatever.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

The concepts you might be looking for are passion and individualism. Those are traits that may be closer associated with to what would be called intelligent (exceptional, in this context) and I don't disagree with you either. 

What you said can be applied to this forum, a music forum, a history forum, or a literature forum. 

IMO the whole IQ system and attempting to approximate how smart someone is, is inherently flawed on account of it being a method to correleate biometrics and organic theory into defined intellect and empiricals.

Sure it might suggest a strong correlation, but it's a designed generic blanket system set to operate with defined parameters and will be increasingly more inaccurate the more exotic the subject is. It just doesn't work trying to simplify something so complex, intricate, and unique, so much to the point of a single number. Unfathomable if you'd ask me. 

And we all know people are exotic, many of us would fall under what we could agree on 'exotic' to mean. Though we do have a fair share of members who are dumb as bricks, so maybe that'll even us out? Lol.

To reiterate, I do think the forum would have a higher than expected average "IQ" (if you so choose to claim validity) because this is not a good sample of the typical population. The divergence would definitely not be to the degree represented by the poll though. 

Completely agree with a lot of this, as pointless as IQ tests are, I am interested in comparing the results of different forums. It's never going to happen, but I'll wager that it would show some signs of correlation depending on the subject matter.

They are mostly pointless and people arguing between a 120 and a 130 score (which never happened in this thread) would be a penis measuring contest... Being curious about what people got in the tests is not and no one should be put down for posting their results.

I do believe that people who enjoy these subjects and more importantly understand them tend to have an IQ over 100... Sorry, hands up, no statistics to prove this, just an observation of my own.

To your second question, mr moose was trying to say that the community of LTT was a direct representation of the population of the world, if that was the case then we could just run all statistics based on this community... I think the YouTube community would give a far more realistic (but again not fully accurate) result as it covers a much larger demographic... and we've all seen the comments made on there :lol:

Yeah IQ tests are for the most part pointless, I wasn't disputing that, but I imagine that the majority of people I have spoken to on here could score more than 100 on an IQ test provided by somewhere like Mensa.

And yeah, like I said the poll is obviously distorted by jokers and people who take those basic online tests. This whole argument is based off a comment made earlier which you have reiterated, that this is just a penis measuring contest... I shared my result which I took when I was 15 that just so happened to be over 100 because I thought it added to the topic... I took offence to that because it was not my intention at all, it wasn't to gloat, it was to try and give an accurate representation in this thread.

So I raised the question.

I'd have to disagree. I know a few techies, as in, in person, and none of us have particular high grades nor IQ's.  We sometimes even sit in the lower end of our form/grade. True, were not out of school yet, but still, we are at an age where they are starting to predict out final scores for 12th grade (some are in 12th grade).  My IQ sits at about 50-90, depending on when I take it. (which shows how much it is actually good for). So I think not always a tech community would be above average.  Just some food for thought.  Not all techies are top of the line smart people.  I mean, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to build a PC.  

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Completely agree with a lot of this, as pointless as IQ tests are, I am interested in comparing the results of different forums. It's never going to happen, but I'll wager that it would show some signs of correlation depending on the subject matter.

They are mostly pointless and people arguing between a 120 and a 130 score (which never happened in this thread) would be a penis measuring contest... Being curious about what people got in the tests is not and no one should be put down for posting their results.

we need a general reddit IQ test, that would be very interesting...

I'd have to disagree. I know a few techies, as in, in person, and none of us have particular high grades nor IQ's.  We sometimes even sit in the lower end of our form/grade. True, were not out of school yet, but still, we are at an age where they are starting to predict out final scores for 12th grade (some are in 12th grade).  My IQ sits at about 50-90, depending on when I take it. (which shows how much it is actually good for). So I think not always a tech community would be above average.  Just some food for thought.  Not all techies are top of the line smart people.  I mean, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to build a PC.  

There's too many ways to interpret to meaningfully discuss without writing a book.

To preface that, above average of a standard averaged by a set of data is still based on the same pool. It is very believable that below average, average, and higher than average will find their way in. Quantities are varied. 

Grades don't really correlate to IQ. At the same time you're holding the IQ test as credible. Of course there is always diversity, but I don't explicitly mean "a tech community," I mean any community of a higher order. 

Error: 410

mr moose was trying to say that the community of LTT was a direct representation of the population of the world,

It is, with 61,000 members and the only common denominator is computers and/or gaming.  The diversity of people on the forum would be huge and if people were to take polls seriously the results would closely reflect results from other such surveys.  As I said earlier an enthusiasm for computers does not correspond to a rise in IQ.

Here is a research article that shows how you can predict a positive attitude toward computers based on mathematical performance, however you cannot predict IQ based on attitudes toward computers:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1359813990100106#.Uzet_tfrYb8

Many researchers have looked into the effects of computers on IQ, most have discovered improvements social skills and increased ability to concentrate on specific tasks, but no correlation to intelligence.

It is, with 61,000 members and the only common denominator is computers and/or gaming.  The diversity of people on the forum would be huge and if people were to take polls seriously the results would closely reflect results from other such surveys.  As I said earlier an enthusiasm for computers does not correspond to a rise in IQ.

Here is a research article that shows how you can predict a positive attitude toward computers based on mathematical performance, however you cannot predict IQ based on attitudes toward computers:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1359813990100106#.Uzet_tfrYb8

Many researchers have looked into the effects of computers on IQ, most have discovered improvements social skills and increased ability to concentrate on specific tasks, but no correlation to intelligence.

It is not, and I shouldn't have to prove that.

There is a relationship between IQ and environment, there are literally hundreds of research papers based on that, I'll let you Google them and you can pick your favorite. This is one of the major flaws of IQ tests, but there are reasons why certain cultures or communities have lower IQ's, they have no need to increase their cognitive ability. I'm not saying because you have an interest in PC's that you are automatically some sort of genius, but a lot of the forum members are quite young and have clearly have had their PCs bought by their parents, so it's safe to assume that they have been provided with an education, the averages span across communities that do not have access to these resources, this shouldn't affect IQ, but it does and can be affected by things like fear and anxiety in relation to social class, that is why it is flawed. 

This community is not a perfect representation of society as a whole and it should be clear that there will be no correlation to the global average and that in all likelihood it would be higher as the global averages include those that have severe cognitive issues, the kind of people that couldn't even work out how to turn on a computer, so naturally they would bring the average down.

I don't explicitly mean "a tech community," I mean any community of a higher order. 

See above, I would expect that if you took the average of a lot of online communities that they would be above the average, because of the flaws in the IQ tests and also in relation to environment and disability. I agree that there are too many variables associated with it though and the averages we see are probably not an accurate representation.

My IQ sits at about 50-90, depending on when I take it.

Your IQ shouldn't fluctuate that much, but I suppose things like anxiety could be having an affect here. Regardless, if your IQ was actually 50, you would have had a very hard time writing that post.

And I think it's important to say it again, I'm not saying everyone in this community has a higher than average IQ, but that the average itself should be higher than the global and regional averages based on what I have said earlier in this post. 

It's funny the way that quite a lot of the people who answered this probably got their answer from the IQ tests on the internet, Well, I have news for them:

1. The tests on the internet are fake and give a false result
  2. IQ isn't a very good measure of intelligence

Sorry guys; I hate to burst your bubble there :/

Compatible with Windows 95

:D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

It's funny the way that quite a lot of the people who answered this probably got their answer from the IQ tests on the internet, Well, I have news for them:

1. The tests on the internet are fake and give a false result
  2. IQ isn't a very good measure of intelligence

Sorry guys; I hate to burst your bubble there :/

You could have read my thoughts!

It is not, and I shouldn't have to prove that.

There is a relationship between IQ and environment, there are literally hundreds of research papers based on that, I'll let you Google them and you can pick your favorite. This is one of the major flaws of IQ tests, but there are reasons why certain cultures or communities have lower IQ's, they have no need to increase their cognitive ability. I'm not saying because you have an interest in PC's that you are automatically some sort of genius, but a lot of the forum members are quite young and have clearly have had their PCs bought by their parents, so it's safe to assume that they have been provided with an education, the averages span across communities that do not have access to these resources, this shouldn't affect IQ, but it does and can be affected by things like fear and anxiety in relation to social class, that is why it is flawed. 

This community is not a perfect representation of society as a whole and it should be clear that there will be no correlation to the global average and that in all likelihood it would be higher as the global averages include those that have severe cognitive issues, the kind of people that couldn't even work out how to turn on a computer, so naturally they would bring the average down.

See above, I would expect that if you took the average of a lot of online communities that they would be above the average, because of the flaws in the IQ tests and also in relation to environment and disability. I agree that there are too many variables associated with it though and the averages we see are probably not an accurate representation.

Your IQ shouldn't fluctuate that much, but I suppose things like anxiety could be having an affect here. Regardless, if your IQ was actually 50, you would have had a very hard time writing that post.  IQ fluctuates a huge amount depending on stress, sleep, and many other factors that impair brain function.

And I think it's important to say it again, I'm not saying everyone in this community has a higher than average IQ, but that the average itself should be higher than the global and regional averages based on what I have said earlier in this post.  This is completely impossible.  you can't be average and higher than average at the same time.

I think you need to research what you are trying to say, If you want me to believe then you post some proof.  I have already provided a link to a peer reviewed article that shows there is no way to predict IQ based on attitude toward computers.  You cant rant as much as you want but at the end of the day you are wrong.

I was actually medically tested during psychological testing when I was in a hospital when I was 20.

I have true tested IQ of 142. 

Seeing the poll, I think a lot of people are lying. 

Only 1% of people have an IQ higher than 135.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_IQ_society

Don't guess, get medically tested if you want to really know.