What is your iq?

Mao_Zedong
Message added by colonel_mortis

We know this topic is old, but for topics like this it is preferable to reuse the same topic than to create a new one.

I think you need to research what you are trying to say, If you want me to believe then you post some proof.  I have already provided a link to a peer reviewed article that shows there is no way to predict IQ based on attitude toward computers.  You cant rant as much as you want but at the end of the day you are wrong.

Okay cool, you think that if you averaged out the IQ of everyone on this forum that it would produce the same average of 100 that you see in general overall statistics.

I am saying that it would certainly differ and I believe it would be greater.

Agree to disagree?

Probably like 30 I'm stupid as a rock

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

I literally recall it being like 10.  I took the test when I was about 12 years old though.  I've LEARNED SO MUCH since then.  

When Stephen Hawking was asked what his IQ was he replied "I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers."

AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 | Memory Corsair XMS3 16GB | R9 280x 3GB | WD Black 1TB | Samsung 120GB SSD | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H100i | NZXT Fan Controller | Asus VS247H-P x2

The top choices have way too many votes

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Scored a 129, don't know how much that actually means these days though. I didn't do well in school typically because I frankly just couldn't be arsed. I know I'm quicker than most people in understanding concepts and mechanics though. Which is probably the only reason I passed in the first place x3

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

IQ is not how intelligent you are, it's how good you are at learning and remembering etc. but yeah it's not a good system, and your IQ can change over the course of a few months pretty easily.

Personally I have an IQ of 160, although even posting it like that kinda feels like bragging :/ 

That's from an actual psychologist too, not some internet BS.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

IQ is not how intelligent you are, it's how good you are at learning and remembering etc. but yeah it's not a good system, and your IQ can change over the course of a few months pretty easily.

Personally I have an IQ of 160, although even posting it like that kinda feels like bragging :/ 

That's from an actual psychologist too, not some internet BS.

IQ is how intelligent you are (or at least that's what it is suppose to measure). Intelligence is related to learning, understanding and applying knowledge. Knowledge is what you know, for example the capitals of Assyria were Ashur, Calah, Dur Sharrukin and Nineveh.

You are confusing intelligence and knowledge, and I seriously doubt you have an IQ of 160. The error rate on tests that goes above ~135-140 are usually very high. Not saying that you aren't smart, but you should be very critical towards tests that goes above 140 (especially if it says you scored 160).

Between 0 and 500.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I have never been to a psychologist! :P

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

IQ is how intelligent you are (or at least that's what it is suppose to measure). Intelligence is related to learning, understanding and applying knowledge. Knowledge is what you know, for example the capitals of Assyria were Ashur, Calah, Dur Sharrukin and Nineveh.

You are confusing intelligence and knowledge, and I seriously doubt you have an IQ of 160. The error rate on tests that goes above ~135-140 are usually very high. Not saying that you aren't smart, but you should be very critical towards tests that goes above 140 (especially if it says you scored 160).

When I say intelligence I mean the combined factor of how quick you are to learn and how much you know, in practice if you will seem stupid or clever when talking to another person. This is how most people will understand it. I know this isn't the correct definition, but I prefer to use to the english language as I think it should be, rather than how it is, because language is an adaptive form of communication. 

I know it's an extremely high score, and I'll admit it has a high error rate and could easily be 140-150 in reality, but I got it tested for 160 and thats why I post it here.

Also, you being able to judge how much IQ I have based on a single post that "confuses" intelligence and knowledge is quite the opposite of what you said though isn't it?

depends on the temperature. temperature ©XpiXe=my iq 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I know it's an extremely high score, and I'll admit it has a high error rate and could easily be 140-150 in reality, but I got it tested for 160 and thats why I post it here.

Also, you being able to judge how much IQ I have based on a single post that "confuses" intelligence and knowledge is quite the opposite of what you said though isn't it?

Oh no I wasn't judging you because of your post. That's exactly why I added the part at the end, so that you wouldn't think I was saying "derp you don't know the difference between intelligence and knowledge therefore you are not smart xD lol".

Sorry if my post made it seem like I was judging you. I was judging the result you got on the test. No matter who would have posted it, and no matter what the rest of the post had contained, I would still have been very skeptical towards anyone claiming to have an IQ of 160. Most tests doesn't even go that high, and for good reasons.

Please don't take it personally.

Oh no I wasn't judging you because of your post. That's exactly why I added the part at the end, so that you wouldn't think I was saying "derp you don't know the difference between intelligence and knowledge therefore you are not smart xD lol".

Sorry if my post made it seem like I was judging you. I was judging the result you got on the test. No matter who would have posted it, and no matter what the rest of the post had contained, I would still have been very skeptical towards anyone claiming to have an IQ of 160. Most tests doesn't even go that high, and for good reasons.

Please don't take it personally.

No problem.

• 5 years later...

I know it's an old thread but what the heck, it's an interesting topic, i have around 150-180 IQ when i got tested quiet recently, the only problem is that i'm very unmotivated, but im getting better.

Although i have this friend who scored like 80 on an IQ test once xD

It seems a bit odd to be using a three (or two) digit number to describe something as complex as the human brain. I can't think of any way that I could use a three digit number to give a meaningful description of my PC, and it is much, much simpler than any human brain.

Oh, 134.

1 hour ago, comander said:

I scored 336/340 on the GRE, which correlates strongly with IQ. 

Going off of this, 130-160. There's a wide margin of error with a guesstimate like this.

They have their flaws but they're (or at least proxies for them e.g. SAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT) good enough for Amazon, Google, Mckinsey, Goldman Sachs, etc. to have found that higher scores correlate with stronger job performance. 

There could be confounding variables. 

The flip of that - would you want to marry someone with an IQ of 80?

If people with higher IQs are more likely to post you'd have a biased dataset, though the underlying population could be "average". 

STEM groups tend to be a bit above average though(something like an average IQ of 120 for science + Engineering grads). With that said, this forum is watered down STEM so it's likely below that a bit.

Also literacy is correlated with intelligence, it's probable that those at the bottom end of the spectrum are less likely to post/read online. 

All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if the forum average is in the 105-110 range. 

Reading and IQ do track well except in dyslexia and autism.    I don't think I would be surprised if the average was 105 or slightly higher (due the computer sciences).  But given the number of mind numbing posts I have read,  I just can't see it being more than average and especially I can't see it being over 120 as many of the posters claim. 

In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing IQ is a very accurate and useful tool, but for everyday use and general discourse it means very little.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/27/2014 at 7:50 PM, Mao_Zedong said:

Post your IQ in this thread, or use the poll. personally my IQ is 135, and my brother's IQ is 145 (he is fucking brilliant, he will probably make it to the usajmo [insanely hard math competition])

Who cares i think about 130

97 iirc. Maybe add a link for like a real test so i can compare to other people? i mean IQ tests is not always the same but yeah its still somewhat similar.

So... I already posted a long comment on this subject in another thread on July 22nd :

A real IQ test, done by a professional, is very useful, in the sense that it is a good tool to understand oneself, and sometimes you are pretty surprised by the results.

When you do it "normally" (as in not ALL the subtests) it can be up to an hour and half or 2 hours long. That is a LOT of time. And no... you're not doing that on the Internet.

Mensa tests ?? The ones you find on the internet  are partial, made to entice you or discourage you to pass the test, and most importantly, they only "measure" one part of the big intelligence thingamagic bubbled defintion : the logical/mathematical.

So AFAIC Mensa tests have no value, they are just a way to discriminate "You're one of us or not!"

IQ tests are much more in-depth than that.

15 minutes ago, comander said:

At times I was pretty moronic as a teenager and even a bit during undergrad. "How can someone so smart be so stupid" <- I got this a few times.

Very easily... Teenager... Pre-frontal lobe not developped yet, lots of things changing in the body (hormonal evolution in both sexes), need to be part of the "group", to proove yourself, need to "feel" as the imbalances are very strong at that age, etc.

Even the logical areas are impacted heavily.

After that, you grow up, or not!

Personally, I strongly object to trying to quantify something as complex as human intelligence using a single metric. It reminds me of a quote from the movie Interstellar, in which the protagonist asks his daughter's teacher what size his/her pants are. His point is that even pant sizes need two numbers, so measuring human intelligence with only one number seems quite absurd.

1 minute ago, greenhorn said:

Personally, I strongly object to trying to quantify something as complex as human intelligence using a single metric. It reminds me of a quote from the movie Interstellar, in which the protagonist asks his daughter's teacher what size his/her pants are. His point is that even pant sizes need two numbers, so measuring human intelligence with only one number seems quite absurd.

It's a pretty common misconception spread through the public that you have a "single metric". Read my original post I've linked above.