Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

What about a video on the Fediverse?

The Fediverse is a federated network of different open-source social media services, which are all hosted by individuals and are decentral. These services are interoperable, so everyone can interact with everyone, but doesn't need to be on the same server - let alone on the same service.

One example is the Twitter equivalent Mastodon.

If you have more questions, just ask!

P.S.:

Here are a few more links, to learn about the Fediverse:

https://fediverse.party

https://fediverse.party/en/fediverse

https://fediverse.info

https://framatube.org/w/9dRFC6Ya11NCVeYKn8ZhiD

and about Mastodon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastodon_(software)

https://fediverse.party/en/mastodon

https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=IPSbNdBmWKE

Please do a KVM switch roundup. I, like a lot of people, have two computers: A windows gaming PC, and a linux work laptop. Throughout the day I often switch between them.

Right now I just have to reach over and pull out the HDMI/USB cable to switch over to the other device when I want to switch over, but a KVM switch would make my life a lot easier.

The problem is that the KVM switch market is a mess. A KVM switch is inherently a simple device. It's just a box you plug wires into with a button on the front. Yet the market is full of devices and it's hard to tell which one is right for me.

You guys should purchase a bunch of the best selling KVM switches on the market and review all of them. Explain what benefits you get when you buy one of the expensive ones, and what you have to do without when you get one of the cheap ones.

Maybe somebody already posted this and you've done many similar videos but I would really really like to see a collab between LTT and MatPat, going by Food Theory's latest video, why not using random household or easily obtainable substances for water cooling like the mentioned milk, diet cola, etc.

Mentioned video:

Sequel to the $5000 10 year old PC with the EVGA SR-2 motherboard. This is a giant motherboard from 2010 (HPTX form factor) that supports 96gb (12x8gb) of ECC DDR3 memory and 2 Xeons. This is an enthusiast motherboard that supports overclocking, and is a great candidate for SLI throwbacks or experimenting. The only drawback is they are fairly rare, but I can provide my build if needed. My build is the first photo, and has 80gb ECC memory and dual x5687 in a Lian Li PC P-80 case. Any questions are welcome!

Computer.jpg

motherboad_sizes.jpg

Dear LTT!

I have a video suggestion that I would really love you to cover either now (if possible) or later (see below for reason).

First, the problem:

My parents live in a rural area where the internet speed is really slow. Last year they have set up IP Cameras around the house. Everything works fine, except due to the low internet speed (it's the best they can get where they live) when looking at the cameras over a standard 4G connection, the video is slow and the quality is subpar. Funnily enough our mobile 4G connections are faster than our home network, so it is more than capable of handling that much data.

Now the solution and the topic of my suggestion:

Is it possible to use the new Intel ARC GPU's to make a home made DVR system and use the AV1 encoder in order to get better quality and faster live video over cellular connection?

Now I understand that right now, it is very likely not possible to do this due to insufficient support for AV1 at the moment. However I believe that it is inevitable that it will happen in the future. When it does I would like to kindly ask LTT to go in-depth over this topic step by step. We can't get better internet connections but we can make home made DVR's in order to alleviate or hopefully eliminate this issue. This would help me and likely 1000's of others greatly.

The video content would likely be something like this:

1) General discussion of topic, the issue itself and the possible solution(s)

2) Building a home made DVR with the cheapest Intel ARC GPU.

3) Manually throttling the home connection in order to simulate environment. (Example would be 2/Mbps up and download speed)

4) Setting up the DVR system with AV1 encoder and prepare it for outside connectivity

5) Comparing our home made DVR with off the shelf DVR systems to see differences

6) Conclusion and is it worth it?

Notes and further suggestions about this topic:

- I would really love to see a budget friendly option with minimal power consumption yet enough power to be able to handle at least 4 cameras

- I would also like you guys to recommend multiple expansions that a home made DVR might need (Example would be an expansion card in order for the DVR to be able to receive analog connection)

- Alternative solutions that are cheaper or more powerful (The more solution there is the better)

- I would like to ask that you guys build a DVR that could run 24 hours a day for years (Except for maintenance of course)

- Power efficiency is greatly preferred over initial set-up cost. When a device like this runs for years, the overall cost of energy can be much greater than the initial cost even just months down the line (Ever more so due to the soaring energy cost where I live)

And lastly the reason why I am asking LTT to cover this:

Besides the problem itself, the reason I decided to make this post is the fact that the amount of content online about this topic is staggeringly scarce or missing key details. Also I greatly lack the time, founds and expertise to go in-depth on this topic and test everything myself.

Edit:

The more I read about AV1 at the moment the more I think this might be doable right now. Android and Linux natively support AV1 and so does Windows with add-ons. All 3 of these support AV1 with .mp4 .webm and .mkv containers. Also at this moment I just found an open source CCTV software that according to it's official documentation supports AV1 with web-based interface and Android/iOS app support. I am not sure if I am allowed to say it's name, but if I get permission or someone clarifies if I am allowed to share, I am more than willing to share.

I thought I heard that you were going to do a review of using the Steam

Deck as a Desktop.  I haven't seen anything like that.  Any chance you might do it?

I'm interested in if could be used for development.

I work in the Audio Visual field at a University in B.C. Canada. We have two almost identical lecture theatres that sit roughly 150 students each that are in need of some acoustical treatment.

I would love to see a video made on different methods of treating reverb and how effective they are. It would be very cool to run different acoustical configs in each room to quantify results.

I would like a detailed video on fan placement in a case including how dust build up will effect it and will have an overpressure have a positive effect on dust

Another thing i would like to see how a m.2 ssd vs hdd and 16gb vs 32gb would impact the 0.1% lows framerates if they do any impact at all

I was just watching the SlowMo Guys, and thought that it would be really fun to see some of the tech behind the scenes.  Besides the cameras, I'd love to see how video storage works when you're recording video at many tens of GB per second.  (They quoted 117 GB for a video that was only a couple of seconds long.)

SmarterEveryDay would be another channel that does the same kind of stuff...

TL;DR -- Surge protector/UPS testing & rating system done by the Lab?

Not sure if you are planning this already but could you get the Lab to work on testing surge protectors (and maybe UPSs too) and maybe make some kind of rating system for them like you are for other types of products? I'm building my PC and want to protect it but I've read a lot about crappy surge protectors that aren't worth it etc... and UPSs are way more expensive than a simple quality surge protector.

Edited by Kody2112
Grammar

I would like to see a video showing off Jellyfin and comparing it to Plex. Go through the features, how to set it up, how to share it over the internet, etc.

In another video, I think taking a look at home streaming software apps like snapcast + mopidy, or icecast with the azuracast dashboard

Edited by Minecraftchest1
Adding links.

With PC Hardware becoming available again, how about doing a video building a Creators Home Workstation. There's YouTube videos out there showcasing ridiculously priced workstations for Blender or Adobe After Effects, but few reasonably priced builds, and none that go into detail of assembling it and explaining all the hardware, as well as the choices behind them.

I'm sure there's plenty of digital creators that watch the channel, even non-creators might enjoy the video content

Cheers,

There has been LTT videos about stream set ups, how about vtuber streaming set up how do ?

NAS building but using old server hardware.

There is a lot of old server hardware out there that can still chug away and you can some times get it for as low as a couple of hundred dollars.

This gives you hardware that might have been the hotness 10 years prior, but it's still server grade hardware.

With Linux being as versatile as it is, it's easy to install Ubuntu (or other similar distributions) on it and run docker containers for all the things you'd otherwise want.

Performance-to-price comparisons for old server hardware (recyling and reducing e-waste) and perhaps compare it to a new price-comparable NAS to see how great the difference might be.

I am currently sporting an IBM x3650 M2 in my closet and it's quite powerful for a machine that was hot 10 years ago still.

On 8/1/2021 at 8:39 PM, NetMan013 said:

Video idea: Energy efficient home server.

The combination of components is key and can become complex. This also changes with the release of new architectures and technologies.

The power draw of components in idle state and with load is important.

I would like to know what combinations of components are good in different price points. (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU & cooling)

What impact do HDD's have when implementing a NAS?

Does adding a GPU make a difference when its not used and what is the entry point GPU for plex decoding?

How do you scale up when you're in need of more resources? Is it best to change parts or add a node?

Another video idea: This envolves the strengths and weaknesses of x86 and ARM architectures for home server use.

ARM powered NAS servers are lightweight but could be not powerful enough for some use cases. Availability of some boards, number of sata ports, sd card as boot device and compute power are things to consider.

X86 offers powerful compute and more software availability. It's generally more capable and extensible, but at a cost of energy efficiency.

I think a dream environment would have a x86 NAS as main that facilitates storage for clustered compute servers. The compute would exists as both x86 and ARM enabling high and low power workloads (your services such as personal cloud, video streaming etc). Ideally hardware could even be shut off and powered back on remotely. A ARM powered secondary NAS could act as backup storage and can even be in a different location.

I'm sure you guys can approach these topics and address these questions better than I did.

Lol I searched on how to submit a video suggestion for a similar question…
Which Plex home server would be best, X86, ARM or M1 (Which is ARM, but running macOS)…

I would love to see which performs better and uses less power…

Hopefully this video will be created and sponsored by Plex lol

I’m looking in the best setup possible.
Was thinking of using a Mac m1 mini or air… doesn’t have to be super powerful but if would draw the less power for sure.
I would use it with a mediasonic 8 bay Enclosure – USB 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps…

Awesome suggestion NetMan013!!!

Have a great day,

Josh

I would like to see more sketchy Alex and Linus crazy computer experiments like:

"Our Craziest Cooling Project Yet - Car radiator liquid cooler" and "What Happens if you Water Cool an Air Cooler?".

but throw there a bit more scientific experimental results.

I have suggestion for video "Water cooling with experimental additives"

Like low boiling points liquid ethanol, acetone (carefully, don't dissolve tubing) or Ethyl ether.

Make a water-cooling taste rig. Put distilled water in the loop make a reference tests, and add to the loop low boiling point liquid in 5 stages, final stage is pure low boiling point liquid. 

Is this interesting idea?

Can you blow up a bouncy castle with enough computer fans? Sponsored by fanMakerHere. 

How about you guys do a collaboration with Planar.

Have the guys come up and showcase their XR System and the software and hardware behind it all. 

*Full disclosure, I set up and build exhibits for Planar in Las Vegas*

Do you loose any performance with mismatched DIMM sizes in mainstream laptops?

I know different size/brand RAM can work in laptop/desktops but the question is, "Is there a performance hit or difference?" Given that there is any increasing prevalence in vendors soldering 4 or 8GB of RAM to the board and leaving only one open slot for expansion, is it a no-brainer to add a larger stick with identical speed and timings? Say adding a 16GB to an 8GB or a 32GB to a 4GB. I know things like Intel Flex allow the matching size of the smallest module to run in dual channel. But what are the usage scenarios where there is a performance benefit/deficit/no difference versus just using identical size (and speed, etc.) memory, say 16GB & 8GB vs. 8GB & 8GB. Should you always go bigger in a modern system or are the use cases where it is best to keep it identical?

Thanks for considering

I just wonder how good Intel ARC graphics card are on Linux...

This is more of a suggestion for a rethinking/pivot of some previously done videos. 

LMG should buy or build a typical North American style residential house of average size. Redo all smart home, security, home lab, low voltage wiring etc. videos within said house to appeal to those of us in the audience with less, ahem, specific tastes as Linus. Maybe consider the weekend warriors and DIYers that don't have an army of staffriends to assist in installs as well. This could lead to new review videos for tools or installation assist type products.

Added bonus, you've got a youtubers apartment for local collabs and videos shot there might not have to have such tight OpSec requirements as those shot, say at Linus' house. My apologies for any offense if this is coming off as rude. I genuinely enjoy the videos featuring home upgrades shot in situ. I just often find myself at a loss as to how I could possibly achieve anything similar in my own home. 

Windows registry changes for improving gaming performance. There are a few videos that go through various steps to optimizing windows for the best gaming performance, a lot of these are general windows settings, some make changes to the registry.

Below are a list of registry changes/additions that a couple of these videos suggest:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile -> 
    NetworkThrottlingIndex: value'FFFFFFF' hexadecimal
    SystemResponsiveness: value'0' hexadecimal

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games -> 
    GPU Priority: value'8' hexadecimal 
    Priority: value'6' hexadecimal
    Scheduling Category: value'High'

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Paramters ->
    new DWORD (32bit) Value: "IRPStackSize" value'32' hexadecimal
    new DWORD (32bit) Value: "SizReqBuf" value'17424' hexadecimal

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters ->
    new DWORD (32bit) Value: "DefaultTTL" value'64' hexadecimal
    new DWORD (32bit) Value: "TCP1323Opts" value'1' hexadecimal   
    new DWORD (32bit) Value: "MaxFreeTcbs" value'65536' hexadecimal
    new DWORD (32bit) Value: "MaxUserPort value'65534' hexadecimal
    new DWORD (32bit) Value: "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize" value'65535' hexadecimal

There are more changes I did not include above as they require a few extra steps outside of the registry. Below are links to a few of these videos with appropriate timestamps.

18:56-20:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-SZSxygzY

The above video also features some strange software, Quick CPU 22:40 - 24:00 and TimerResolution 26:15 - 27:10

9:09-12:40 ipconfig network related changes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoOLBAmlVhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85Xuj3ZX10

Personally what I would like to know is what registry changes actually have a noticeable effect on latency and fps, if at all, and how large or small the improvements may be.

There is also plenty of other changes some of these videos show for improving fps, such as disabling settings such as the 'Performance Options' window that I can only seem to find through windows search "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows"

image.png

Edited by Quivic
added some details

Please Review Airlink Headsets from Zxen Technology.

www.zxen.com