Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Since you recently released a video on a CRT monitor, and I love old tech. It would be very interesting if you could get your hands on a 3 gun crt projector to do a video on. painfully heavy, large, and very interesting to tune. Some models would display above 4k resolutions! 

Also if you find multiple, let me know because I would love to own one! 

Hey!

I'm just now catching up on last Friday's WAN show and the section involving Onewheel gave me an idea for a future video topic. My ears perked up when y'all mentioned that Onewheel got in trouble for shipping devices containing LiIon batteries without labeling them properly. I very nearly had a pretty similar experience with a different (generally much more reputable) company myself. The battery on my 2018 Razer Blade (Advanced, 1060) started to bloat. Razer was very kind to offer to replace the battery, despite the fact that the device was out of warranty. They attempted to go through the normal repair process, though, and didn't think to include any special handling for my laptop with a bloated battery. After repeatedly citing both US laws and FedEx policies to them, they eventually advised me on how I should ship the laptop. They ended up providing me with special packaging designed to contain damaged lithium ion batteries (produced under the Obexion brand), which I used to ship the laptop to them. I think that this shipment still might have fallen afoul of FedEx policy (I couldn't find any exceptions to their prohibition on shipping damaged batteries), but the laptop/battery was at least labeled properly and sealed in a flame retardant container. I still have all of my communications with Razer, if you want evidence of how reluctant they were to provide me with any guidance on how to ship a device with a damaged battery. In total, there were ~18 days between being informed that Razer would cover the replacement of my device's battery and dropping the device off with FedEx to be shipped to Razer for repair. That brought the total time that I was without full use of my laptop (the only usable computer that I own) to ~34 days. Yes, more than half of the time it took to repair my laptop was spent trying to convince Razer to follow both FedEx policy and federal law and ship the device properly.

I'm sure that Razer isn't the only company that behaves this way and I don't feel great about singling them out here (they've treated me very well in all other respects), but they're the only one that I have any experience with.

Possible things that the video could cover:
- The signs of a damaged battery that needs to be replaced

- What causes damage to a battery
- What can go wrong with a bloated battery (hopefully including footage of a battery catching on fire)

- What to do if your battery starts showing signs of damage

- How to replace a damaged battery yourself

- How to properly dispose of a damaged battery if you replaced it yourself

- How to properly package a device that contains a damaged battery to ship it off to be repaired

- How effective packaging designed to contain damaged batteries (such as the Obexion packaging that Razer provided to me) is at containing the risks (hopefully including a demonstration)
- How to convince a company to treat the shipping of damaged batteries seriously and provide you with the proper guidance/packaging

Thank you for considering this idea!

Edited by exilarchy
Added section about how much time my attempts to properly ship the system added to the repair process

Would really like to see an updated video on remoting into your desktop from your laptop for gaming or video editing/engeneering programs. Because sometimes you need to game or work on the road and can't accommodate a gaming/productivity laptop

It's 2022, more than two years into the pandemic and we still have shitty wireless (bluetooth) headsets? Why aren't my airpods sounding decent when using them on my windows machine? The mic sounds like I am talking through a string and a set of tin-cans. I believe it is a Bluetooth limitation but a video explaining it and what can be done, what needs to change and what the current (wired) solutions / alternatives are. 

I've been watching since you were in your own house. Loved the water cooling on the roof. I was hoping you would use a car radiator instead of all the little water blocks and fans. I get water cooling is a big thing for Jays2cents, yet, never seen Jay or LTT do a water cooling where you install a water temp sensor. Maybe I have missed it over the years. 

IDEA

Use a water temp sensor to control the fan curve. Then use CPU and GPU temp to control the pump speed.

Use the heat soak ability of the water so fans don't turn on as soon as you enter a match.

There is waiting between games, and certain parts of maps are much more demanding.

I'd be interested to see how quiet you can make a PC not using CPU/GPU temp for fan speed when water cooled.

Also, is there a heat soak effect in the case if running fans super slow?

Another water cooling idea

Run a water loop with no radiators. Instead use external CPU water blocks.

That water block is then sandwiched with a Peltier and another CPU block. The water blocks on the other side of the Peltier then attach to normal radiators and fans.

What is the point of it? 

Well, apart from the stupidity and just content,  can you fit it into a case and have ambient or  sub ambient temps without frosting while gaming?

And how much power will it use 🙂 

With the Denon 8500 setup. I have the same processor. Some things to keep in mind. 

Zone 2 doesn't appear to output audio if sharing an input with Main Zone and that input is ATMOS

If I change the output of the HTPC to stereo everything works I get sound from both zones. If I have the HTPC set to ATMOS though, I only get sound from Main Zone as it is the only one capable of playing back ATMOS.

You can use other sources to output still to other zones. Yet they have to be set to 2CH. 

When setting up the subs, don't go left and right. One front and one back if your only doing 2.  1 per corner is the most efficient. Side subs at the 1/4 wall points is really what you want so you get even sound between seats. 

Ultimately get a miniDSP 2x4 HD and use that to EQ the 4 subs. 2 if you have 8 subs. Audessey is not that good at doing sub EQ. Will sound a lot better if use REW to EQ the subs first, then run Audessey.

I'm very interested to see what speakers you are going to use.

While the 8500 looks good on paper. If you want a real cinema experience, you will want good front and centre speakers. 

Get 3 mono blocks for them. As the amp will struggle to drive anything over fairly small speakers if running in ATMOS. Mono blocks for the fronts will let the 8500 then just have to deliver clean sound to the height and rears. The amp still gets hot even when using mono blocks. Without them even with 8 subs, it just can't deliver clean sound to good large fronts and centre.

It is an amazing piece of hardware though. Unless you want to go for a Trinnov for much much more $$$$'s

And it is only a processor so will need even more amps.

It will however let you do things that the 8500 doesn't. While the 8500 can output 13 channels. It can only do that if have speakers outputs set in very specific ways.

You can't have front wide speakers with Auro 3D

You can't have Centre Top or VOG unless in Auro 3D.

The formats support the channels if you look into it.

It's frustrating that it can't do things that in reality the hardware is already doing in another mode

Review of the HUAWEI MateView GT 34-inch, would be quite interesting.

Have mail in Rebates always been this dirty. 

I think the postage within 10 days of purchase, when it take 7 business days to deliver, is a little much. 

• Thanks for choosing ASRock. Please submit your claim by completing all following steps
  •  
  • 1. Complete the online registration for the rebate at http://www.mircenter.ca/promo/Newegg1/ASRock/040522
  • 2. Verify all fields on the rebate application including name, address, serial number etc. to be filled in completely and accurately. The name & address that appear on your invoice MUST match the name & address on your rebate application.
  • 3. Print out and Sign on the completed confirmation page. (Your rebate application can’t be processed without your signature)
  • 4. Cut out original model name, S/N (serial number), and UPC/EAN barcode label from retail color box and mail with confirmation page and a photocopy of the ORIGINAL INVOICE to the following address.
  • 5. Please make sure that all UPC/EAN barcode label and other documents are securely attached.
  • 6. For your protection, we recommend that you keep copies of all submitted paperwork.
  • 7. The mail MUST BE POSTMARKED* within 10 calendar days from the order INVOICED date.
  • 8. Please mail all of the above said documents to the following address:
  •  
  •  

to qualify for the rebate you must provide a printout Order Delivery/Pickup Notice you got from your vender (or any document from vender a to prove the delay of your shipment) or a printout Shipment Tracking Information Page that contains the name of the courier and the delivery date of your order, then attach it to this form, and mail it together with all above listed paperwork postmarked within 10 calendar days from the RECEIVING date. **Missing postmark could void your rebate that arrives late. Instead of depositing it into a postbox, you are suggested to get the mail postmarked in person (with a date stamp on it) in a POST OFFICE. Our MIR Center will use our receiving date if your mail comes in without a postmark, and it could cause disqualification of your rebate. Thanks for your attention!

bastards 

I want to see for once and for all!  Are any of these cordless air dusters close to the power of canned air?  If you make the tube smaller will it provide more power?   I am so sick of hearing go get a datavac I need a cordless solution that I can carry with me on the job.  I know if Linus reviews it than we will have a true review.

What is the real speed out of the cordless canless air systems?  Out of several is one better than the others like X3 Hurricane vs Opolar and other popular brands?   What is the real CFM from these systems and just how much pressure can they really provide for both canned and canless.

Everyone already knows a corded air system will always be more powerful but you can't easily carry that around as you don't always have a plug handy! 

So Linus please be willing to answer this question once and for all as over the years since they came out 7 years ago nobody has EVER DONE a proper testing!   I know if you do this review there will be no doubts to true benefits and cons of these cordless and is it worth paying for the Rolls Royce X3 Canless Air or can them cheapo units at half the price do the same job with similar power.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Could you review the new alienware gaming laptops. Like the new m17 r5  with the new ryzen 9 processor and rtx 3070 ti. Also the m15 r7 amd version with the new ryzen 9, rtx 3070ti/3080ti. Also the new xmg neo 15 with the i7 and rtx 3070ti would also be another video suggestion.  By the way it would be great to do a video on best gaming laptops of 2022 and the gaming laptops with the best battery life.

Hey there,

this is actual a MAC ADDRESS request.

With having now recently come (back) into the Apple fold with the newest iPad Air, I've been enjoying MAC ADDRESS much more, but found that a lot of the videos are targeted to exisiting Apple users than those that recently (re)joined and it is hard finding a channel that is not just blindly recommending Apple accesoires (I did enjoy your Apple Pencil video, because it was not just you staring into the camera and more or less screaming "buy the Apple Pencil 2", but more what you gain and what you lose so you can make a concious decision if the trade off by going with an alternate brand will be worth your personal preferences and I felt I made a good purchase.

A similar channel made a good comparision video with Logitech's Combo Touch (with I ended up getting) vs the Magic Keyboard, as the small footprint gained did not outweigh the price.

Another video I found interesting was why the iPad Pro was not for Pros and dealing on the shortcomings of iPadOS for professional vs, a MacBook with macOs.

Currently I'm enjoying my journey with the iPad and iPad OS as a laptoplike very much,

a) because on the streamlined version of apps, of being tailored to run on any iPad

b) Apple's way of keeping you focused, especially now with the features of iPadOs 15

c) drawing on the Apple tablet

d) Easily bringing recreative versions front and center or back again, which how the OS works (i.e. on my windows PC, I sometimes have the problem that a lot of destraction is a click away)

So in short I needed this jack of all trade, master of none with Apple's presentation (which they are admittedly a master at) and currently I have not been dissappointed by the slightest (well other than GMail not offering the function "Mark as unread from here" with their eMail chains on Apple devices, which I think is the usual "For more features use our product shenanigans).

However I am quite overwhelmed on how to operate and get the best out of the gadgets of iPadOs in conjunction with the Apple Pencil (I recently found out, that striking through text with the Apple Pencil, you can naturally select text quite easily. So I would love a "So you bought an iPad" video touching on the finer points, and where the experience might differ from the stock iPad to the higher tiered one (if there are any). While I'm aware of the user manual and tried to voraciously devour every new bit of information, some quick start help on the most interesting and helpful features is always helpful, especially if they come from power users that had been with iPadOs for a long time and probably know which tasks are good to do when you are still starting to work twith iPadOs vs which tasks are better to explore, once you internalized the basics.

In any case, I'm thankful MAC ADDRESS exists and for the wonderful videos it spawned.

Cheers,

- Florian

You should do a video on knock offs of peripherals. The Rapoo VPRO V52 is just a Thermaltake Esports Challenger Prime body with a couple slight mods to remove the spin wheel. 

Rapoo Vpro V52 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard Programmable ButtonsThermaltake Tt Esports Challenger Prime Membrane Gaming Keyboard ...

Regarding your latest video on 3D TVs, I have a LG 3D monitor along with accompanying software that allows me to play any DX11 or prior game in 3D. It actually works remarkably well and definitely makes all open-world, platform, and fighting games a lot more entertaining - and it uses passive 3D so no headaches! It works on competitive shooters like COD, but I wouldn't advise it unless playing casually, though Arma 3 does look awesome. It features 'SimulView' and allows you to choose if the game splitscreen is top-bottom or left-right, as well as a mode that converts 2D to 3D (which isn't particularly great).

From the conclusion of the video it sounded like LTT may be done on the topic, but if not it would be worth looking at. I would suggest finding a monitor model in the same range as mine, LG DM2752, which will work with TriDef Software (which converts games). If push comes to shove, sending mine isn't off the table, providing cost covered 😆

With summer coming I have an video idea, which targets more the European market.

Since in Europa were very rarely have AC in our own flats and our prices for power being much higher than especially the dirt cheap water power in BC what Linus talks about, how about a video for a PC that for a certain performance targets, uses the least power and with that produces the least amount of heat in your room.

So would it be worth to buy a 3090Ti and just heavily underclock/undervolt it, to consume far less power while still reaching 60 FPS. Or maybe Team Red is more efficient when clocked lower? Or would it be smarter to buy a lower performat card outright and just slightly undervolt that card. Then what about CPUs, especially with the new not overclockable Ryzen 3D, how well works underclocking there. What about Intel with their current drive for higher and higher clockspeeds no matter the powercost, do their chips maybe work much more efficient and lower clockspeeds, could we have still 4Ghz all cores at under 50W instead of 5Ghz all cores at 250W?

swapping fans with different things like for example rip off a fan of a blower card and slap it onto a cpu heat  sync or like rip a cpu cooler off to put on a gpu and will it improve performance?

A video about the incredible technology behind automated metro/trains would be really cool.

The best way to create a video on the topic might be to work together with tales ( the company that made the signaling equipment used on the skytrain) and TransLink/BCRTC/InTransitBC (the operators of the skytrain) to make a video about the fully automated Vancouver skytrain light metro system.

If it doesn't work out the work together with some other transit agency. Esspacially north-amerikan transit agencies are stafing for getting even a little bit of media coverage to get more funds and get tegnically inclined people to now about them so the have a chance to fill a lot of open technical positions.

If that is not possible you could just call-up some company that makes ertms/etcs signaling equipment, I'm sure that the would be more than willing to have you talk about it. The might even sponser the video. 

I would love to see an update on the framework laptop, specifically when it comes to the diy community! 

Framework recently divulged a whole bunch of information on the firmware and hardware on the motherboard for their laptop. This has re-energized the community but has also lead to a bunch of questions, many of which require more time, money and in depth knowledge than most of the community members have.

For example, the pin out of the embedded display port (edp) was released and shows that it supports digitizer inputs. There has been a lot of speculation on 3rd party displays that might be compatible for diy tablet builds and so forth. Unfortunately due to the other unknowns such as firmware limitations, and just the general lack of understanding of edp compatibility, no one has been willing to risk their cash for testing. 

other Examples are custom IO modules, personalized hardware, building batteries for the main board and so on. 

I love the framework team and how open they have been but I feel they have too much on their hands to deal with these types of questions, especially in community forms. LTT is in a unique position where they have the know how as-well as the ability to directly query the framework team if issues do occur. 

This video could also be helpful for explaining the basic principles behind connections and interfaces in most laptops. I’m sure most people have seen videos of making a monitor from an old laptop screen, but have you ever wondered why all the controllers are so screen specific If the majority use the same communication protocol (edp)? I don’t exactly know but I would love to find out! 

@urbandingo I have merged your video suggestion into the LTT video suggestion mega thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

-Mobile suggestions-

An interesting topic may be to create your own gaming phone and compare it to one of the ones that already exists. Doing such things as OCing the CPU, GPU, Display, adding better cooling, etc. 

I know that this is possible, and it would be cool to see a comparison, kinda like how you compared building a pc to the Series Xboxes.

You could also do a budget mobile gaming video, getting a 2-3 year old mid-high end smartphone and overclocking it to help it keep up with today's flagships.

That, and you could do "Extreme Overclocking with a ... Phone?". Where given your new tools and machining capabilities, you could make a custom block to use a Chiller or to use LN to get the best score possible in 3DMark. Maybe even get #1 in the world on a specific processor. This would attract a large number of views as people (preteens, especially) want to know how to make their Android faster for Fortnite, or Genshin Impact, or Pub G. 

Also, many of your sponsors are mobile providers, like Ting Mobile. This would attract more viewers who would consider those services.

PC Suggestions

People often want to get a higher refresh-rate display, but cannot afford one, or the more obvious, cannot carry an external one around with them. You could do a brief tutorial on how to do this on an older budget gaming laptop, or with a newer laptop that has decent integrated graphics, which allows for a better experience in Minecraft, Valorant, Fortnite, and other less demanding games. You could compare reaction times between before and after, and show how it can make you better at gaming for free. Suggested title: THIS makes you better at gaming, for FREE! *Insert Linus with a disgusted look looking at an old Dell Latitude, Happy Linus with same picture of an old computer usually not associated with gaming.*

5 hours ago, Rsced985 said:

lol, they did this a few days ago, couldn't get a game running without internet, couldn't connect to the internet without getting their console banned.

I really enjoyed the Hype Machine's Biggest Mistake, but I believe there can be a part 2.

3D movies using VR

Using VR devices such as Meta's VR devices, Value VR devices, and PSVR to see what the 3d movie quality is like.

Plus side: watching a 3D movie using vr  will show a pure 3D video image as there are no filters or shutters interfering with either eye while watching the movie.

Downside: wearing a headset for 2 couple of hours, not sharing with other people.

3D video sources

Doing a comparison of 3D side by side videos from YouTube.

rent 3d movies from app like Big Screen

Rip 3D movies from 3D blurays and watch the video with the cleanest possible video source.  (Always own a copy of  the 3d blu ray)

Can 3d at home make a comeback?

PS: You missed mentioning the name of the video store.  I had to research it to find it.  I went there today and got 3 - 3dBluRays for my collection.  Willow Video.

Liked your videos on niche OS's, like ReactOS and TempleOS.

There is also Mezzano. Written fully in Lisp, of all things - and it runs Quake, transpiled from C->LLVM-IR->Lisp.