Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

You use Power of Ethernet in a lot of your internet videos, have you ever experimented with "Ethernet over Power"? 

https://www.techadvisor.com/feature/network-wifi/what-is-powerline-3491484/

It would be interesting to see how much coiling the cable affects interference and how reliable it is over longer distances. This could be a good alternative for something that requires a lot of power but not that fast of a network connection. 

Now that Linus has a Pebble Time again thanks to ShankMods, I’m thinking it would be interesting to make a video about using a Pebble in 2022, and focusing it on Rebble and what the industry should learn from this. 

if it is too niche, maybe a YouTube Short? 

Yo, crazy idea I just had:

Do a custom water cooling distribution plate like is popular in desktop builds now... except sized for and serving a whole ass server rack with watercooled servers, switches, everything.

just got this ad on instagram and it’s something you guys HAVE to check out, the de zeen foldable oled two-in-one, it functions as a monitor but can also be rolled up to be used as a lamp, looks wild

056FA032-1A8A-44DF-AC4C-ACF97B0A1D8A.jpeg

I think it would be really cool to continue the enterprise based hardware videos. A suggestion would be to get and try to run the Intel vga2 (visual compute accelerator)

Hey guys, long time LTT YT subscriber and fan here. 

Ive got a video idea/pitch for ya. So I dont know about you but I take long showers and thats because i take my phone in with me. And i do all kinds of stuff with it. Probably a lot of the same stuff you do with your phone in the morning. Read up on current events via your fav appropriate app. Catch up on social media instagram/FB/Twitter/etc. Watch YT videos from your favorite content creators. Now before phones were as good as they are today with their long battery life. Large HD displays and quick charge abilities I actually had a dedicated "shower tablet" the original Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. And I would put it in a gallon sized zipblock bag and then hang that bag on the wall of the shower via 2 binder clips hanging from 2 3M command hooks on the dry wall above the shower wall. And this worked great. I worked in cell phones at the time So I spent shower time reading up on the latest cell phone tech via the BGR app and Phonoscope. I caught up on work emails via Outlook looked at that days work schedule. I could also keep an eye on my new dog at the time on my Belkin Netcam one of the 1st smart cameras. And of course Youtube and Netflix. But i also streamed my cable via a slingbox.

So thats why when Linus released 

I got really excited. However this is a little overkill for my situation. A. I dont take bathes. B. I dont really game in the shower. HOWEVER i have played forbite with my phone mounted in a RAZR Kishi and earbuds before.

However, I think with mobile gaming and game streaming i think there is a great way to get best of both worlds.
This is my shower

image.thumb.jpeg.631c44b5c50f8e8d3e4e4fce689dfc0c.jpeg

I always dreamed of cutting a hole in the wall of the shower and then mounting one of those giant 12 inch Samsung tablets (I originally had this idea when the 1st one the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 came out in 2014) But now would be the Tab S8+ or even the 14in Ultra. You could even route power out the side of the shower wall. 

You ccould streme games via Google Stadia or Playstation Remote Play etc
Play mobile games 
DO social media
Watch YT, Netflix, Hulu etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Stream and control music via APPs

BUTTTT with where smart stuff is theses days you can do so much more that you always have found yourself caught always needing like 
Answering the door (now you can via your fav doorbell cam and a "Shower Tablet"
Answer the phone or now adays attend a ZOOM meeting in the shower
Keep an eye on the kids via smart cameras 
Possibilities are endless. 

Interesting idea right here

What if you took and Intel socket a soldered it to where the socket was for an AMD Motherboard or vice versa what would happen 

Nothing because they're completely different and wouldn't even remotely fit.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Remember Braineaters Alcohol submersion thread on Hardware canucks 10+ years ago? While it didn't work out back then, it would be great to see it revisited. 

Premise is simple, tank to fully submerse a computer in a sub zero coolant. I think the plan was to use Alcohol and Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen to then cool the Alcohol. 

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Here’s an idea, dug this outta the closet looking for old stuff to use in a server pool. Found an HP 11-r014wm.  
What would you do with it?

a whopping 32g of storage and 2g of Ram. Dual core celeron at 1.7ghz.

60$ USD from a pawnshop. Useless?

I double dog dare ya to find it a purpose

Here's an idea, maybe it's already been shared by others, but I wanted to share it anyway. 

Since Taran was such a big part of LMG maybe a goodbye video would be fun, last day in the office kind of video.

Maybe with a few highlights, following him around the office saying goodbye and interviewing LMG employees and sharing their experiences about Taran. 

"Trust but verify"
- Listed, think then talk -

How about a video on "Building your own thunderbolt 4 eGPU"?

It's definitely not a guide anyone is likely to want, but it might be an entertaining challenge and a cool demo with something like a watercooled desktop 3090ti. Bonus points for making a combined eGPU and IO hub.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

It would be interesting to see Secret shopper turned on its head - After sales support on OE Pc's, and not just like a week later, but more like a few years later - Im sure you guys have a few random old pc's laying around.  Can you still get drivers, are they updated within reason, can you get replacement parts/upgrades direct from the manufacture or do you have to resort to the eBay or Amazon,

Like my GPD Pocket 2 (an early backer one, so the 7th gen m3) all I could get out of them for an answer when asking about drivers was "So sorry and as for the old version, we have stopped producing it for a long time, so we don't have any further information for that." and an HP Envy x360 laptop with a 2500u APU and went to replace the battery and it wasn't available from HP anymore....though they at least have drivers.

My Computers:

Gaming Rig: Asus B550-M Gaming, R9-5900X, Corsair 64GB DDR4 3000, Zotac RTX 3070

Laptop: Asus ROG Strix 17" Scar 3,  i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti

Pretty sure you haven't done this type of cooling yet: https://www.modine.com/markets/module-products/battery-thermal-management-system/

Basically just uses refrigerant to cool the coolant by way of a chiller (liquid cooled evaporator) which could be used to cool a pc. Likely wouldn't be able to do the HVDC system, but there are components available to do LVDC at 24V. Thought of the idea after the latest Eluktronics external cooler and thinking back to how we used one at a trade show with a battery cooling plate to cool drinks. 

*Disclaimer: I work for the linked company. 

In china scrap yard wars. after the pandemic of course. As an American living in china buying and selling pc parts in china its a gold mind here and would be totally cool

Having recently been through Samsung support hell regarding a 2021 Frame model it would be really interesting to see the team test what sorta cross comparability the OneConnect boxes have with different models

Maybe make a video were you send a 3090 to space with a weather ballon?

Hi , new to this forum . 

Here is I think good idea for a video . 

I am having bit of a struggle with trying to find best solution for running 2 laptops each feeding 2 monitors . I want to have single keyboard , single mouse and minimum loss in latency , resolution or frames . 

I found few good thunderbolt 4 docking stations , however the good models don't have input for 2 hosts .

I think lots of people will be in similar situation . 

👋 Just was looking for a video or test that shows how effective a PC would be with only a 360+ aio and no case fans. I know there's only a billion boring videos about how many fans you need and case fan positioning etc.  Just think it would be interesting to see the gpu temps with only a aio. 🤷 Im probably going to test it myself but heres a video idea. 

On 5/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, CycloCrux said:

That's this one with Robert Forstemann: 

It is possible though, you just can't power a i9 1200 with a 3090 for any reasonable period of time, just need to be selective about what you could power to make the illustration work.

yes, that's the video. The point still stands that no normal person would be able to directly power their PC. He struggled and look at those thighs

Would love to see another scrap yard wars post pandemic but realize there are issues with LMG folks being very well known.  What if you had proxy team members that were either new employees or community folks that were in charge of the contact and purchase but the more well known folks are home base strategy and construction.    

You've been doing more car videos recently. You've done ebikes in the past. I'd love to see Alex give his take on a few commuter-oriented motorcycles. I remember Linus had at one point on WAN show mentioned the possibility of getting an electric motorcycle (though I think that got shotdown). Bikes like Zero's or honda CB 500X's or the BMW GS750.  Some of these have a ton of tech. Others have super low operating costs. Some just have great mileage. It seems somewhat fitting, given the current crisis with gas mileage.

I'm not sure though who'd end up doing the review. I think Linus has his motorcycle license, no idea if any others at LMG do. Alex would seem the best reviewer, but only if he's got the license.

Hi yall. I was shopping around for some new gear to get ready for college, and I stumbled upon a very strange product. It is a mechanical keyboard with a display on top. I have never encountered something like this. It reminds me of those asus laptops that have a second screen above the keyboard. I have always loved the ltt videos that just show off strange products; although it might be better suited for a short circuit. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fagomfer-Touchscreen-Mechanical-Keyboard-Multifunctional/dp/B09PMKF4HH/ref=asc_df_B09PMKF4HH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563598683736&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=948870257117157262&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011649&hvtargid=pla-1663340574404&psc=1

Screenshot 2022-05-11 121319.png

Speaking of Xbox Developer Kits, the original Xbox 360 developer kits were G5 Power Macs.  Microsoft were sending Macs to develop and play Xbox games. I love to see a video about that.

Hi. Recently I've had a really poor experience with evga over a power supply which the bearing fan seems to have gone and have to jump through so many hoops with them it's stupid was wondering if you could do a evga rma and see what the process is like as I'm being told I have to. Ship them my. Psu and be without a working pc for a few days to 2 weeks for them to get it and test it, I have aspergers and use my pc. Daily for games to keep me occupied would love sort of like you did with dell hp etc sorts video