3.5mm jack in phones: The war was lost for some time but is now officially over .

pfjfDZD.png

LG was the only mainstream phone manufacture to cater specifically to Audiophiles with their Hi-Fi DAC and Quad amp attached to a 3.5 mm jack. Obviously the jack is not going anywhere in the Audiophile space; people serious about sound will be using this connector for decades or even another century to come. But this will be relegated to designated equipment. Even though Motorola was the first company to ditch the jack (even before Apple) its most recent flagship has the 3.5 inexplicably returned. This gives hope but I speculated that it was the LG V series that made the competition look bad, and was a driving factor for the other players. The excuse of "that jack is too big, or not waterproof" was consistently dismissed by the Excellence of the V50, V60. The V series being such compelling phones where heralded by reviewers for its stead fast commitment to the jack. Perhaps pressuring the competition, hence the Moto Edge+ ? I'm afraid with the death of LG this is the end.

-- Thread unlocked --

-- Moved to Phones and Tablets --

After discussion, it has been decided this thread is intended as a discussion on the disappearance of 3.5mm jacks on phones, not specifically about the recent LG news: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1321625-update-confirmed-by-lg-its-been-nice-knowing-you-quad-dac-sources-report-that-lg-is-leaving-the-smartphone-market/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This is why I shake my head whenever I see someone declare "I will never buy a phone without a..."

When the industry makes a broader move away from a feature, it rarely comes back. You don't have to like it, but you also shouldn't hold out expecting gigantic tech companies to bow to your will. In practice, you just end up with a barely functional ancient phone that you have to replace with the very thing you said you wouldn't buy. And it turns out things weren't nearly as bad as you made them out to be.

4 hours ago, MoistyMcMoistface said:

Perhaps pressuring the competition, hence the Moto Edge+ ? I'm afraid with the death of LG this is the end.

I'm disappointed that LG has given up on the phone market because they had some nice phones,but it's not surprising, considering their phones just didn't compete with Samsung or Oneplus flagship devices, or Motorola and Nokia as examples in the mid range market.

Thanks to Apple, the consumer has been forced to buy wireless headphones, which sound worse than decent 3.5mm headphones IMO. And Apple started other awful trends I really hate like glued in non-replaceable batteries, display notches, and serializing components to the phone, although companies like Samsung have copied that to save a few cents in manufacturing, and the Samsung A51 has the fingerprint reader serialized to the phone.

Also I think if you care enough about audio in a portable device, you should buy a DAP, the only other option is to buy a midrange device that still has a headphone jack, however you probably won't get the LG quad DAC sound quality.

16 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

Pixel 'a' phones still have them. And while they do I'll continue to buy the latest one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's fine! But be ready to live that wireless lifestyle, since Google isn't necessarily going to offer that forever.

I prefer Huawei, the P40 Lite has a great jacky! :3

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

This is why I shake my head whenever I see someone declare "I will never buy a phone without a..."

When the industry makes a broader move away from a feature, it rarely comes back. You don't have to like it, but you also shouldn't hold out expecting gigantic tech companies to bow to your will. In practice, you just end up with a barely functional ancient phone that you have to replace with the very thing you said you wouldn't buy. And it turns out things weren't nearly as bad as you made them out to be.

Yeah im guilty of saying "ill never buy a phone with a stupid notch" "ill never buy a phone without a 3.5mm jack". Well look at me now with a phone that has a notch which doesn't bother me and I use wireless earbuds (My phone has a headphone jack I just got tired of cables). So yeah all my whining was just pointless baby noises.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Yeah, but its makes me sad to see people vouch for these anti consumer moves like removing the jack. I made this same post on imgur comunity and there was a fellow on there that said that I was stupid to morn the loss of the Jack. Since it compromises waterproofing. The amount of people that become Stands for companies be it Samsung or Apple is insane. There is no denying that the removal of the jack is to push the sale of BT headphones. Also funny how its basically impossible to repair these things. Apple claims to be all about the environment, how is a bunch of mini batteries, and a case more friendly thay a nice pair of IEM thay out preform the Airpods at a cheaper price. 

1 hour ago, MoistyMcMoistface said:

Yeah, but its makes me sad to see people vouch for these anti consumer moves like removing the jack. I made this same post on imgur comunity and there was a fellow on there that said that I was stupid to morn the loss of the Jack. Since it compromises waterproofing. The amount of people that become Stands for companies be it Samsung or Apple is insane. There is no denying that the removal of the jack is to push the sale of BT headphones. Also funny how its basically impossible to repair these things. Apple claims to be all about the environment, how is a bunch of mini batteries, and a case more friendly thay a nice pair of IEM thay out preform the Airpods at a cheaper price. 

I'd say the reasoning is mixed. I'm sure Apple liked the thought of selling lots of AirPods, but it was probably also right about making room for more components (like very, very good haptic feedback). I've heard it theorized that Apple pulled the jack from the iPhone 7 not for that particular phone, but to make sure the iPhone X could launch without the jack removal overshadowing what was otherwise a big leap forward.

I wouldn't cheerlead the removal of 3.5mm jacks or similar changes, but I also don't think we should rage against Apple or Samsung, either. It's unlikely to change the on-the-ground reality.

14 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

And Apple started other awful trends I really hate like glued in non-replaceable batteries, display notches, and serializing components to the phone,

As someone that has replaced batteries in a few phones, iPhones are by far some of the easier replacements. The battery is pretty much directly accessible after removing the display. Pull tabs beats the permanent adhesives I’d seen on many Android devices. They even use exterior screws to hold the display in, that way you don’t need additional glue to have the screen not fall out. 

The Galaxy S7 I did awhile ago was comparatively miserable. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

23 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As someone that has replaced batteries in a few phones, iPhones are by far some of the easier replacements. The battery is pretty much directly accessible after removing the display. Pull tabs beats the permanent adhesives I’d seen on many Android devices. They even use exterior screws to hold the display in, that way you don’t need additional glue to have the screen not fall out. 

The Galaxy S7 I did awhile ago was comparatively miserable. 

I agree pull tabs are definitely better than gluing the battery in, although a battery replacement in an iPhone is something I wouldn't want to risk myself in any recent iPhone as it's not like I could just get another display and be able to pair it to the phone if I accidentally ruined the display in the process.

I wonder the size comparison between the hard core PC community and the audiophile community. Thats really the thing, its all about size. I dont think the average person cares about wired vs wireless. Hell I have a pair of bluetooth headphones on my head right now connected to my MacBook Pro. Why? Because I got sick of the wires getting screwed up from over use. I do have a Corsair Gaming headset specifically for my gaming PC that is wired, but its only used for gaming. Every one seems to want slimmer and sleeker devices, and I think thats the driving force here. Yeah it does suck to have to charge my headphones, HOWEVER the HD4.40 I have do have a wired hookup as a backup, for my MacBook at least. But for my iPhone I dont have a dongle so no wired for that. 

I think for average listening bluetooth is ok. For watching movies and TV bluetooth is Ok. I like the sound of my bluetooth headphones vs my gaming headset. However, if your forgetful about charging a battery or if the battery goes after years and years of service then it kinda sucks. 

In the end it will be the wireless life or the dongle life. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I thought I would despise not having a jack on my phone, but honestly I found out I use it far less than I thought I did. And when I did use it, the dongle is not the big deal I thought it was going to be. Don't misunderstand, I still don't like how manufacturers got rid of the jack and wish they'd keep it, but in real world scenarios (for me at least) it hasn't impacted my daily life at all. I can understand audiophiles and their frustration, but for me its impact has been minimal.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro