LMG, you might be able to move to Linux soon

Mr. Veink

https://github.com/Gictorbit/photoshopCClinux https://github.com/Gictorbit/illustratorCClinux

Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator works on Linux. There might come other apps too later on. If Premiere, Aftereffects, etc, gets Linux support, LMG could finally move to Linux, because game support is almost perfect now. Some anticheats are already working on Linux too.

1 minute ago, Mr. Veink said:

Some anticheats are already working on Linux too.

Google "Battleye Linux"

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

If Premiere, Aftereffects, etc, gets Linux support, LMG could finally move to Linux

It's not native support however. Stability is largely unknown considering it's using WINE. Any update to WINE or Adobe could break compatibility instantly, for a work environment where you depend on these applications that's a high risk move. Not to mention if you check the issues section of the Github page for Photoshop, There is a licensing concern since they are using a modified pre-activated Photoshop installer, which is in violation of Adobes ToS.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

Some anticheats are already working on Linux too.

However some never will and some are starting to block WINE Instances. EAC for instance has a toggable option when building to disable running if WINE is detected, some games have used this toggle.

It's probably not worth it for LMG. First, not everyone likes, or is used to Linux and Linus or anyone for that matter isn't able to just force people on to changing to a different platform. 2nd moving people from Windows to Linux takes quite a bit of time and effort for what is marginally better performance at best to potentially less performance at worst, not to mention other issues that could arise while setting up.

Unless Linux genuinely offers significant advantages to using Windows, then it might be worth to take the time and try and switch to it, otherwise it isn't that viable.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

https://github.com/Gictorbit/photoshopCClinux https://github.com/Gictorbit/illustratorCClinux

Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator works on Linux. There might come other apps too later on. If Premiere, Aftereffects, etc, gets Linux support, LMG could finally move to Linux, because game support is almost perfect now. Some anticheats are already working on Linux too.

Mmmno. There's no guarantee about stability and thus this is a bad idea for a business -- any lost time due to crashes or corrupted work is lost money.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Why would they want to switch to Linux though? Aside from there being less risk of viruses, I don't think they'd really get any benefits? I really doubt Linus would do that just to save money on Windows licensing.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I don't think i've ever heard them say they want to move to Linux anyway. So this doesn't actually change anything.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

LOL. No organization will switch to linux for that. Take one problem out to add 20 more? Running Enterprise Windows | Domains and crossing that with linux adds a slew of issues. I am sure they are content with how the domain is set the OUS | Policies . no need to switch 

Windows 10 Latest Build
RAID 0 Samsung SSD 970 2tb EVO's (4Tb Store)
RTX 3090
9900k DELIDDED with custom copper Rockitcool @ 5ghz 
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile
Phanteks PH-P1200PS 80+ Platinum - Built-in Power Splitter 1200W Fully Modular

Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)
Top Mon #2 ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q | NVIDIA G-Sync 100hz

Bottom Mon #1 Alienware Overclocked Refresh Rate #AW3418DW G-Sync 120hz

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

It's cool those programs now 'work' on Linux and I get the title is a bit sensationalist, but I feel like it's important to mention by running this software, they are essentially beta testers, which I don't think is desirable.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 hours ago, Mr. Veink said:

because game support is almost perfect now

Not sure why would it matter for LMG, they are mainly writing/editing videos, not playing games.

Or do you suggest that they should benchmark games on Linux? This could be a nice additional thing sometimes, but they still must benchmark mainly on Windows because

- still no DXR on Linux

- more stable performance (allowing to compare with older measurements, etc.), cannot suddenly change because e.g. DXVK developers implemented some optimization

- all games will always work, from the first day

- drivers always available on release (or earlier). Recently Nvidia had day 1 support on Linux too, but afaik AMD still has some delays

- that's what most people use (though for most benchmarks it is not very important because the goal is to compare HW)

It has, for a long time, been this way. It’s always free, open source, privacy etc. and all shall go to linux, but major limitations are usually forgotten. 

Don’t get me wrong - programming on linux runs circles around cmd / Powershell experience and i use it because of that but there is a reason why windows and mac-os are dominant beside linux fanboy’s favourite “big company lobbying”

No company is going to switch to Linux. 95% of the business user base (even at LMG) are regular users that are probably either unfamiliar.

Using Linux from day one, yeah, switching ? No way.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

Sometimes, that is all it takes, especially back then

You would be surprised by how many problems I solve by a server reboot 👀

4 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

Also, Power cycling workstations and Print Servers is the first thing I did, when things got screwed up.

I don't know why, but sometimes Windows problems also gets fixed when a domain admin logs somewhere to diagnose the problem. That's also another way that I fix things that are way too common ;

user ; X doesn't work !

me ; logs in with my domain admin account, check a few things and ask the user to try again so I can log the issue

user ; it's fixed ! Thanks !!! / What did you do? It's working now !

😄

It actually happened to me earlier today, had an issue with a 3rd party app, got an appointment with one the 3rd party app tech, I log in to gather some logs ... everything starts working 30 minutes later, and we spent 15 min in the meeting confirming it was working and the were no more errors logged !

you can use use linux.

But it doesn't support LMG testing methods for test benching.

test benching also is recamended to use windows since it the most common OS to do it on.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 3/28/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mr. Veink said:

why would anyone want to move to linux when there is a better solution already existing and implemented?

Moving to linux would be a lot of work for absolutely no benefit.