What do you want out of your self defence/protection for yourself or others? (tools and abilities)

Just what people think they would need for their areas, and what tools that can be suggested as the best practice or can do a good job in certain situations.

About learning or using;

Martial arts, tools to have with you, what you wish your country would allow (for example having either it being a tazer or pepper/OC spray)

In my opinion tazer can be a decent scare tactic and if having the distance with combination of other tools. OC spray (depending on wind and type) can be overall effective, unless if they are covered for protection?Guns are both a risk and a hazard, and sometimes they can be valuable if living in or are in extreme situations. Also wish more people around my area would care more about having OC spray and having in mind using it at some point if needed instead of a focus on alarms. But giving crucial information can be good. Like the features that was used for older people or children to know if they are safe.

Tracking

Spoiler

Phone SOS

Spoiler

Defense in depth.  

Carry a gun if your region allows it. 

Also carry a knife if your region allows it.

Also carry OC spray if your region allows it. 

Learn Brazilian Jiu Jitzu or, failing that, mixed martial arts. 

Get training in everything you're likely to use.  Focus on gun if you're allowed to have one, then martial arts.  The latter will be extremely useful in general -- you'd be amazed at how effective even minor training can enable you to control pretty much any physical altercation.  Plus it's good for your health.  Plus it's fun to know you can fold anybody into a pretzel should the need arise.  Plus you won't be at risk for assault with a deadly weapon if you don't use the deadly weapon.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

10 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Get training in everything you're likely to use.  Focus on gun if you're allowed to have one, then martial arts.  The latter will be extremely useful in general -- you'd be amazed at how effective even minor training can enable you to control pretty much any physical altercation.  Plus it's good for your health.  Plus it's fun to know you can fold anybody into a pretzel should the need arise.  Plus you won't be at risk for assault with a deadly weapon if you don't use the deadly weapon.  

where do you feel like you stand right now, if something happened?

Do you think you would be ready for it, about how often would anyone or you be aware of the things going around? (without the notion of being paranoid or bad mental health). Like said in certain situations, wanting too much to be a hero can put people in a dangerous spot, compared to being "more heroic" and try to think more "straight". (comes to cops too)

or put in a different question, ever felt like you needed more defensive tools or abilities at some point?

Edited by Quackers101

Nothing.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

learn to be able to identify a potential threat, anticipate and avoid it

or basically, be a pessimist, you'll never get caught off guard, and always pleasantly surprised.

this is more important than learning kung fu and what not, imo

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Never been an issue for me in my country. It's safe to say i'm also stronger and taller than the average man, so that helps. 

Tasers are going to have projectiles with barbs on them, they work in specific Law Enforcement situations but I doubt there's one place in any country where civilians can carry them or even buy them. Stun guns, while similar, require you to be within arms length of someone and that is bad news when most civilian stun guns are meh at best.

I've been licensed to carry a firearm for over a decade, and I do sometimes. In recent months when things have been going down and there's a lot of uncertainty I will keep a pistol on me, but for the most part I keep a decent knife clipped to my person. I'm by no means a knife expert but it's sharp and it'll do the job.

With firearms I've had to protect my own life with one from feral animals a few times, I would consider myself on the higher end of 'proficient' even in a high-stress situation. I'd say I have at least 200k rounds of practice though. A firearm is my choice for home defense or if I absolutely have to be in a bad area.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

45 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

learn to be able to identify a potential threat, anticipate and avoid it

or basically, be a pessimist, you'll never get caught off guard, and always pleasantly surprised.

this is more important than learning kung fu and what not, imo

Most of the "survival" martial arts teach you just that, i trained krav maga and MMA for couple of years and one the first things they taught me is if you can run from the knife if you can't start using what ever is around you (jacket, backpack, rocks, chairs etc). Second thing is the exactly you just said, don't go in to the dark ally, don't go in places where is higher risk of danger etc, so basically think before you go, notice things before they happen, i know its cheesy but it basically situational awareness. 

since most, if not all self defence items are illegal in australia (tasers, pepper spray, guns etc), then i want to be able to carry around smoke bombs

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

since most, if not all self defence items are illegal in australia (tasers, pepper spray, guns etc), then i want to be able to carry around smoke bombs

Pretty sure you'd still get in trouble for setting off smoke grenades. A while back there were a few morons that were setting them off in crowds at music festivals and football games. 

6 hours ago, Rybo said:

Defense in depth.  

Carry a gun if your region allows it. 

Also carry OC spray if your region allows it. 

Learn Brazilian Jiu Jitzu or, failing that, mixed martial arts.

That seems excessive. Do you live in a really bad area? 

I've never felt the need to carry anything for self defence.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Rybo said:

8 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Pepper Spray and a pocketknife.

Dont know why having a knife would be helpful besides only wanting to hurt, and if showing, how likely is it for the other party to draw a gun and shoot, if armed?

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Pretty sure you'd still get in trouble for setting off smoke grenades. A while back there were a few morons that were setting them off in crowds at music festivals and football games. 

I've never felt the need to carry anything for self defence.

Smoke containers get really hot, burning that smoke out, do not start a wild fire... oh australia... RIP

There are areas in any country same as in australia were some locations have more aggressive crimes.

Even though one might say the silent crimes are maybe worse since they go unnoticed for a long time?

10 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

where do you feel like you stand right now, if something happened?

Do you think you would be ready for it, about how often would anyone or you be aware of the things going around? (without the notion of being paranoid or bad mental health). Like said in certain situations, wanting too much to be a hero can put people in a dangerous spot, compared to being "more heroic" and try to think more "straight". (comes to cops too)

or put in a different question, ever felt like you needed more defensive tools or abilities at some point?

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

No.  You don't practice self defense preparedness because you expect to get into trouble.  If you expect to get into trouble, then you shouldn't be doing the thing leading you to get into trouble.  That is, the best self defense technique is to not need to defend yourself.  The second best is to run faster than your attacker.  Third is to render your attacker unable to attack you.  

I practice self defense because weird stuff happens in weird places and I don't want to be cowering in a corner wondering when someone will come to save me if I can get away with it.  

56 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Dont know why having a knife would be helpful besides only wanting to hurt, and if showing, how likely is it for the other party to draw a gun and shoot, if armed?

Honestly the knife is useful because knives are useful at random times for cutting things and as small levers and the like. Morally (and often legally), knives are equivalent to guns: they both punch holes in people.  

But defense in depth as a principle ties into the concept of disparity of force.  Even in areas where you can open carry an AR-15, if you bring that weapon to bear against an offender in a minor bar fight, you're going to get in Big Trouble™.  The legal principle is that you can only use deadly force if you have an imminent fear for your life or severe bodily harm.  In practice, this means that it needs to be obvious through your actions that you're using as little force as possible to keep yourself safe.  So whatever your attacker brings to bear, you can easily justify one level up.  If someone attacks you with their fist, respond with OC spray (or if you can BJJ them into interesting and exciting new shapes, that is an option as well).  If they bring out something that can obviously kill you, bring out the Big Guns.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Dogs

I think everybody should know how much tasers SUCK. if someone is wearing something heavier than a T-Shirt, the prongs 99% of the time will not get a good connection and do nothing. Even if they do connect, a lot of bigger people, or people who are out of their gourd will just keep coming. Add the single shot capability and you have a self defense weapon that is honestly not worth ever using. I would never trust a taser to save my life. Police don't like using tasers unless they have sufficient backup because the risk of a taser not working is so high that they too would not rely on it to save their life. 

As for MACE/OC spray, Maybe? I still would not trust it to save my life though. 

I carry a knife with me to most places as a utility item, not a self defense tool. There's a reason why the saying "bringing a knife to a gunfight" exists. 

Firearms are by far the best self defense tool. Yeah, I never hope I have to shoot anybody, but if I do, having a firearm could mean the difference between life and death. It's nice peace of mind knowing that you could defend yourself from most threats. 

Knowing Martial arts is also a good idea, as mentioned above, Jiu Jitsu is a good option if you don't have time to draw a firearm, or don't need to use lethal force. Again, it's more of a peace of mind thing. The area that I live in isn't really all that bad. I'd rather be prepared and not need it than need it and not be prepared.

11 hours ago, Rybo said:

But defense in depth as a principle ties into the concept of disparity of force.  Even in areas where you can open carry an AR-15, if you bring that weapon to bear against an offender in a minor bar fight, you're going to get in Big Trouble™.  The legal principle is that you can only use deadly force if you have an imminent fear for your life or severe bodily harm.  In practice, this means that it needs to be obvious through your actions that you're using as little force as possible to keep yourself safe.  So whatever your attacker brings to bear, you can easily justify one level up.  If someone attacks you with their fist, respond with OC spray (or if you can BJJ them into interesting and exciting new shapes, that is an option as well).  If they bring out something that can obviously kill you, bring out the Big Guns.  

Yes, for those who don't know, here in the states it's called "Stand your ground", and "Castle Laws". Not all states have them, and fewer have both. I'm lucky to live in a state where both apply. Castle laws basically are "If you fear for your life, you do not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force if you are on your own property". Stand your Ground is basically the same, but it applies to everywhere, not just your property. 

Edited by EjectedCasings
added rybo's quote

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, EjectedCasings said:

Yes, for those who don't know, here in the states it's called "Stand your ground", and "Castle Laws". Not all states have them, and fewer have both. I'm lucky to live in a state where both apply. Castle laws basically are "If you fear for your life, you do not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force if you are on your own property". Stand your Ground is basically the same, but it applies to everywhere, not just your property. 

I wasn't talking specifically about stand your ground, though it is definitely important to know what your locale has to say about it before getting into a self defense encounter.  I was talking about the specifics of a given encounter.  If you shoot a guy in response to him giving you a brisk shove, not even stand your ground laws or the castle doctrine will save you from the long, impartial arm of the law.  

Basically, if you meet nonlethal force with a lethal response, you are probably breaking the law.  That's what OC spray is good for.  When a gym bro starts beefing out on you and you just want to take the wind out of his sails, anoint him with some hot sauce.  He'll get the point and you'll get to walk.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

7 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

I think everybody should know how much tasers SUCK. if someone is wearing something heavier than a T-Shirt, the prongs 99% of the time will not get a good connection and do nothing. Even if they do connect, a lot of bigger people, or people who are out of their gourd will just keep coming. Add the single shot capability and you have a self defense weapon that is honestly not worth ever using.

Disagree with it never worth using, but like you said it can be improved. Don't know if I'm mistaken if there is a dual shot taser? (has to shots)

Also that they can give you some seconds, but like you said, it CAN work or can NOT work. Some say it can be 50/50, depending on the situation and on the person, how you use it and when to use it. So one could say it's harder to use than a gun or any other tools? Last resort should never be on the taser, and you need to be more people (if police) to have more backups if ever going to use taser for a dangerous target, since they can use other tools if this tool fails. Which I see a lot of people trying to go in alone with the taser than getting reasonable cover and relying too much on the taser, and in the US it just means the cops with the taser gets into a situation where they will begin to shoot anyways. Also that a taser is not non-lethal, but can be much less lethal than a bullet.

Also I wonder if one can use a pepper spray mod for the taser that might be handy as a second tool on the taser? I wonder if that works well and if the container would be hard to deal with. But at least more options there and at that point, maybe it will be too suffocating together with the taser prompting a higher risk to life?

I took self defense and disarming lessons at a community center a couple years back. For me, being able to defend myself is mostly about peace of mind than anything else. If someone broke into my apartment I need to be able to protect my SO, and knowing that I can helps me sleep at night.

Currently I carry a combat knife on me that my dad gave me. Unfortunately I don't think knives are very effective right now for deterring an assailant. Half the reason you carry a weapon on you is for the intimidation, and if I pull a knife I'm going to get shot if I'm not careful.

Neighborhood is getting a bit scarier every year. Hoping to acquire a firearm at some point, but its difficult to get in my state and even things like tazers can be difficult to purchase. Will probably just end up with my knife and a spray as my carry. A lot of people around here tend to not like firearms, but I think they are important.

I just invested in some solid wood doors for my place, and some stronger locks. Installed a chain and a sliding lock too.

I also have set up a way to send my location to my SO via SMS on my phone from my lock screen. Will be nice if I ever have an emergency.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

I have my concealed carry and also carry a knife at all times.  I'm over the hill, overweight and broke my pelvis 3years ago in a motorcycle crash. Me running from an attacker is futile at best.

Your question.  What do you want out of your self defense/protection for yourself or others?

I'm an Atheist but I will pray to any god you wish that I never have to use either of my weapons in self defense.  I carry my weapons in the same way I carry my medical insurance card and my lawyers phone number.  If I never use them I am the happiest I can be.