Don't build a ryzen system if you don't already have some sort of graphics card

curiousmind34

Most of the cpu reviews in the past 2 years recommend ryzen over intel because of better price to performance, so I understand why first time builders would want to build a ryzen system. They realize the graphics card they want is out of stock, so they instead go out and buy a $50 gt 710 and wait for the card they want to come in stock.

Let's compare prices for ryzen 5000, and lets compare prices(with an extra 50 dollars for a gt 710) and intel 10th gen 

Note: I didn't add ryzen 9 because neither of them were in stock

i7-10700k - $327

I9 10900K- $467

r5-5600x- $350

r7 5800x- $500

As you can see, adding the gt 710 made the ryzens more expensive than intel. Even though the single core performance of ryzen 5000 is 11%, you are paying 11% more and losing two cores. With 11th gen, intel might be more worth it even without going out and buying a gt 710.

You might think that you might bypass this $50 tax by going with an g series chip, but the prices of those have increased sharply.

i3 10100 - $124

3200g- $165 (originally $99)

3400g- $250 (orignially $150)

the i3 10100 is 20% faster than the 3200g and 15% faster than the 3400g. Even at original msrp intel was close, but now, the g series chips and worse than going out a gt 710 anyway.
Basically, for first time builders who might not already have any sort of graphics card, whether you get a cheap one for ryzen or you go with a g series chip, you would be better off getting intel, and even more better off waiting for 11th gen.

But some may say that the integrated graphics on the g series chips are better than intel uhd graphics. That is true. However, 11th gen desktop cpus coming later this month will have xe graphics and have even better value.

Edit: I should clarify that this is only the case as long as graphics card (and to some extent cpu) supplies are non-existant.

Edit 2: With Intel, you are going to have to sacrifice a good bit motherboard quality if you want to get same motherboard prices as AMD

Such price comparisons are flawed as pricing is so dynamic it's not only country specific but quite often also region specific and week specific. People may also want features of the "more expensive" product as well. And there can be more price differentiating factors as well - like RAM kits and motherboards.

(and it's funny how my PC is gaining value as it ages...)

So just because the 5600 and the 5800 aren't APU's they're worse per dollar? Keep in mind you're still buying a GPU with the 10700k and the 10900k. It's more a lesson in patience...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

You're forgetting motherboard cost. Which is generally quite a bit more expensive with Intel.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

True, if people were patient they should just wait and go with ryzen 5000/ nvidia 30 series. I'm talking to the people who need a system now and slot in some cheap graphics card which kills some of the value prop of the cpu.

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

So just because the 5600 and the 5800 aren't APU's they're worse per dollar? Keep in mind you're still buying a GPU with the 10700k and the 10900k. It's more a lesson in patience...

Just now, curiousmind34 said:

True, if people were patient they should just wait and go with ryzen 5000/ nvidia 30 series. I'm talking to the people who need a system now and slot in some cheap graphics card which kills some of the value prop of the cpu.

And then as state above, throw in the motherboard cost and it's pretty much a wash. Keep in mind the 5600 is 6c 12t compared to 8/16 of the 10700k and trades blows with it in gaming and rendering.... 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

This is ignoring the option of buying a used card instead of a new gt 710, then reselling it for the same price (or higher if you initially got a good deal). It's a little riskier with the current market than it was before, but if you have cards being sold locally that don't have an astronomical price, that is a better option than buying a new gt 710 in my opinion. 

Edited by The_russian
edited for clarity

Just now, The_russian said:

This is ignoring the option of buying a used card instead of a new gt 710, then reselling it for the same price (or higher if you initially got a good deal). It's a little riskier with the current market, but if you have cards being sold locally that don't have an astronomical price, that is a good option. 

True, I didn't account for them because used parts is its whole own story. I am just comparing two completely brand new system, but getting cards from another seller at a lower price is a way to lower the extra price you pay for a video output for a few months or so

4 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

True, I didn't account for them because used parts is its whole own story. I am just comparing two completely brand new system, but getting cards from another seller at a lower price is a way to lower the extra price you pay for a video output for a few months or so

Most people could probably get a crappy old card off a friend for dirt cheap as well, I have a oem gtx 660 and a radeon hd 7870 that i'd just give away if someone need a card to tide them over 

Prices from PCPP

10700K = $323.

Hyper 212 Evo = $30.

Cheapest Z series motherboard (Z490 phantom gaming 4, ATX) = $150.

Platform dependent expenses = $503

5600X = $310.

ATX board with Zen3 bios update (B450 Aorus Elite V2, also ATX and can go MUCH cheaper [or newer chipset for around same price] if you want)  = $110

GT710 from amazon = $50 (actually less).

Platform dependent expenses = $470.

I dont think you have a valid point here. AMD wins in this argument every time when builds are done with close performing CPUs due to how flexible AMDs socket is.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

30 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Most of the cpu reviews in the past 2 years recommend ryzen over intel because of better price to performance, so I understand why first time builders would want to build a ryzen system. They realize the graphics card they want is out of stock, so they instead go out and buy a $50 gt 710 and wait for the card they want to come in stock.

Let's compare prices for ryzen 5000, and lets compare prices(with an extra 50 dollars for a gt 710) and intel 10th gen 

Note: I didn't add ryzen 9 because neither of them were in stock

i7-10700k - $327

I9 10900K- $467

r5-5600x- $350

r7 5800x- $500

As you can see, adding the gt 710 made the ryzens more expensive than intel. Even though the single core performance of ryzen 5000 is 11%, you are paying 11% more and losing two cores. With 11th gen, intel might be more worth it even without going out and buying a gt 710.

You might think that you might bypass this $50 tax by going with an g series chip, but the prices of those have increased sharply.

i3 10100 - $124

3200g- $165 (originally $99)

3400g- $250 (orignially $150)

the i3 10100 is 20% faster than the 3200g and 15% faster than the 3400g. Even at original msrp intel was close, but now, the g series chips and worse than going out a gt 710 anyway.
Basically, for first time builders who might not already have any sort of graphics card, whether you get a cheap one for ryzen or you go with a g series chip, you would be better off getting intel, and even more better off waiting for 11th gen.

But some may say that the integrated graphics on the g series chips are better than intel uhd graphics. That is true. However, 11th gen desktop cpus coming later this month will have xe graphics and have even better value.

Edit: I should clarify that this is only the case as long as graphics card (and to some extent cpu) supplies are non-existant.

Edit 2: With Intel, you are going to have to sacrifice a good bit motherboard quality if you want to get same motherboard prices as AMD

Motherboards are much more expensive with intel and in a lot of cases you have to buy a cooler

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Yeah... The GPU shortage is insane and it makes no sense to build a PC today unless you already have a GPU or plan to use integrated/a lower older tier card for a few months. That said, I still wouldn't go for Intel regardless, due to how much more expensive of a platform it is and how fast it becomes "EOL" before Intel switch to a new platform.

It has reached a point where I just recommend people to buy a pre-built system, even if it's more expensive than building it yourself, at least it's in stock. 
Like this thing

https://www.newegg.ca/skytech-st-shadow-0138-ne/p/N82E16883289078

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Not like you could build a PC anyway...

It has reached a point where I just recommend people to buy a pre-built system, even if it's more expensive than building it yourself, at least it's in stock. 
Like this thing

Well I'm not a fan of buying Prebuilts, so....

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Well I'm not a fan of buying Prebuilts, so....

It's pretty much the only way to guarantee getting a 30 series GPU these days, other than paying a scalper.

But I get you. I don't either. But when the alternative is waiting months or paying two to three times the MSRP on a GPU... The choice is easy to make (I'm personally waiting... waiting... forever waiting...).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Saw the headline and I was like “yep..” intel F chips too.  Can’t guarantee a card will be available and the the things won’t run without one.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yeah... The GPU shortage is insane and it makes no sense to build a PC today unless you already have a GPU or plan to use integrated/a lower older tier card for a few months. That said, I still wouldn't go for Intel regardless, due to how much more expensive of a platform it is and how fast it becomes "EOL" before Intel switch to a new platform.

Like this thing

Lifetime may matter some, but these days price is random.  Retailers are marking up ryzen chips to the point they no longer have a price/performance advantage.  My new move is to wait and see what the Mac mini pro has to offer.  Decent chance they will have good video cards in them in which case win.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

41 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

That can be a major difference. Not in performance, but in features. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

23 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Most people could probably get a crappy old card off a friend for dirt cheap as well, I have a oem gtx 660 and a radeon hd 7870 that i'd just give away if someone need a card to tide them over 

if that is the case for then, then the situation is different.

1 minute ago, ProjectBox153 said:

That can be a major difference. Not in performance, but in features. 

Can you give an example of a $150 motherboard comparison and tell me the differences 

(genuinely asking, I don’t know)

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

Can you give an example of a $150 motherboard comparison and tell me the differences 

(genuinely asking, I don’t know)

I don't have any exact comparisons, but if you're having to step down the board quality for the Intel system then you might lose an M.2 slot, might have to get a smaller board (limiting expansion), and a lower end board wouldn't be well suited to overclocking in the future. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

I don't have any exact comparisons, but if you're having to step down the board quality for the Intel system then you might lose an M.2 slot, might have to get a smaller board (limiting expansion), and a lower end board wouldn't be well suited to overclocking in the future. 

I for one could care less about overclocking.

Just now, whm1974 said:

I for one could care less about overclocking.

Sure, I haven't even messed with it on my system, but it's a feature you might lose out on entirely. If you did decide you wanted to overclock in the future you'd have to swap the board. 

8 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

I’ve heard there are some pretty bad x570 boards in the lower range.  It’s a features thing mostly.  What ports there are, what backup and debugging features are present, how sturdy the VRM is.

2 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Sure, I haven't even messed with it on my system, but it's a feature you might lose out on entirely. If you did decide you wanted to overclock in the future you'd have to swap the board. 

My concern is that being Low Income, I'll shorten the lifespan of both the CPU and Motherboard. In other words, I could end up replacing the computer when I don't have the funds to do so.

23 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

My concern is that being Low Income, I'll shorten the lifespan of both the CPU and Motherboard. In other words, I could end up replacing the computer when I don't have the funds to do so.

If a board works it generally works for the duration.  Motherboards don’t go poof very often.  The biggest danger is dinging up a port, and that one is independent of motherboard quality.

Edited by Bombastinator