I wish there was a way to get rid of Windows Defender for good

Even permanently disabling seems to not work. As after a restart it goes back to default settings through Group Policy. It deleting files on its own that it deems a "virus" of some kind without user approval is complete BS.

There is a way - buy a Mac 😄

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

There is a way - buy a Mac 😄

Very funny and extremely helpful.

OP: I follow this guide to dot and I dont have any issues with defender coming up afterwards.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Very funny and extremely helpful.

OP: I follow this guide to dot and I dont have any issues with defender coming up afterwards.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10

I believe that guide is what I followed but for some reason it didn't save the settings, hopefully I fixed it now

19 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

I believe that guide is what I followed but for some reason it didn't save the settings, hopefully I fixed it now

You can also simply add exceptions in the settings when needed ? That's what I do and I don't have issues (I mine a bit and Defender see all mining software as virus or UWP and usually block them).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

37 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

It deleting files on its own that it deems a "virus" of some kind without user approval is complete BS

agreed it is, because it doesn't do that with the right settings (which may be difficult to figure out admittedly but isn't rocket science either, my defender settings are close to the default and it's never deleted anything without asking me how to proceed first) 

edit: idk on top of my head, but can post em later, there's really just a few things you need to change - if that's even required I can't remember it ever just deleting stuff or not notify me about 'malicious software' it found. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, fade2black001 said:

Even permanently disabling seems to not work. As after a restart it goes back to default settings through Group Policy. It deleting files on its own that it deems a "virus" of some kind without user approval is complete BS.

That's because casual users would otherwise just allow everything, even all the malicious stuff. If it's done automatically, it's to much of a hassle. It's generally better to have false positives and be safe than ignore them and potentially infect systems. Which is why this is a preferred method. 20 years ago they all had manual approval by user, but they all replaced it with this. WD, given it's made for normies has minimal settings and doesn't offer this. Kaspersky, avast! and bunch of "better" options have an option in setings where it then asks you what to do on detection. But you need to enable it manually.