3GB of My RAM is Used for No Reason

So recently, I searched over Google "How to Reduce Shared Memory of my graphics card", and turns out, it can't. Windows will not take any RAM for no reason. I was glad to hear that. But, after I check in the Task Manager, it uses 3GB of my RAM (with total of 4GB SODIMM, yes I'm using laptop). As in pictures, I only opens 2 tabs of Firefox (school website and LTT), Minimized Discord, Task Manager, Avira (which is not doing so much), and that's it. Anyone can explain? Specification: Intel Core i5-7200U (2 cores, 4 thread), Intel HD Graphics 620, SK Hynix SODIMM 1x4GB 2133MHz, 500GB HDD (5400RPM), battery is leaked so I had to plug it in all the time to use, 1366x768 with 60hz display. Note that my RAM usage is always over 60% even after startup. I tried to give so much information I had.

Screenshot (26).png

Screenshot (27).png

Screenshot (28).png

Screenshot (29).png

Easy, just put another stick in there.  You can easily check which programs are using the ram.  Windows 10 uses ram, all the other things you have open are using it, click on the memory heading and it will show the top users. 

Standard Windows behavior, especially for long uptimes

image.png.dfba2e7ccd27a983204fd91287b6f559.png

image.png.56237fe8b746c8e8bbab1ddfa73e86ef.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Like 3/4gb used? Or hardware reserved?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

His screenshot shows 84MB hardware reserved. It's just Windows Memory Management being confusing to read.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Basically, 2,7gb-3gb used for the most of the time. I know I can just put another RAM in there, but I don't have such of money (I'm still in middle school btw)

11 minutes ago, GamerLozer said:

total of 4GB

It's 2021 and you have 4GB of ram, what do you expect?

Look up How to improve or de-bloat Windows by TechYesCity on YouTube.

And add another 4gb stick if you can.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Just now, MadAnt250 said:

It's 2021 and you have 4GB of ram, what do you expect?

Look up How to improve or de-bloat Windows by TechYesCity on YouTube.

Oh, okay. Hey, I'm still middle school, if I had decent amount of money, I would buy it.

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing. It's Windows 8.1 (yes, my laptop is that slow). Sorry!

windows will happily use all of your 4GB RAM if it's available, and use as little as 900-ish MB if it is necessary for other means. this is normal behavior, it allows windows to operate faster, and it'll become available if other software demands it.

empty RAM is essentially wasted RAM, so windows 10 uses that ram to accellerate backend things if it's sitting idle anyways.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

windows will happily use all of your 4GB RAM if it's available, and use as little as 900-ish MB if it is necessary for other means. this is normal behavior, it allows windows to operate faster, and it'll become available if other software demands it.

empty RAM is essentially wasted RAM, so windows 10 uses that ram to accellerate backend things if it's sitting idle anyways.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the information!

29 minutes ago, GamerLozer said:

Basically, 2,7gb-3gb used for the most of the time. I know I can just put another RAM in there, but I don't have such of money (I'm still in middle school btw)

Tbh 2-3 GB is basically the minimum windows 10 (or 8.1, won't be a big difference) uses, if you close all the stuff like Browser etc you'll get to around 2 GB used easily... but as soon you open stuff that'll grow bigger again - there really isn't much you can do about it - either try to not have many things open at once, or upgrade your RAM. 

25 minutes ago, manikyath said:

empty RAM is essentially wasted RAM

I mean technically it's just RAM waiting to get used, if you wanna get philosophical you could say it's wasted, I say the opposite, RAM that's idle because it is waiting to play high resolution video games is saving energy and reducing "tear and wear"... 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean technically it's just RAM waiting to get used, if you wanna get philosophical you could say it's wasted, I say the opposite, RAM that's idle because it is waiting to play high resolution video games is saving energy and reducing "tear and wear"... 🤷🏼

ram being empty doesnt reduce wear and tear, it's all there, it's all 'active', and it can be cleared and re-filled several times over before your high resolution game can even start loading it's assets from disk.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

ram being empty doesnt reduce wear and tear, it's all there, it's all 'active', and it can be cleared and re-filled several times over before your high resolution game can even start loading it's assets from disk.

Is that why it never downclocks? I was wondering about that, but it would also make sense because even if you just use 1GB of 8 it needs to be powered and running at its target frequency I guess... 

I just thought honestly the more it gets to work the more energy it uses, like if it needs to swap data frequently - like indeed when playing a game. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6GB was a bare minimum back in 2O12

32GB is bare minimum nowadays

Just now, Kotonoha said:

6GB was a bare minimum back in 2O12

Nah, 4GB was bare minimum and 8GB was standard.

Today, 8GB is bare minimum and 16GB is standard.

32GB is if you do more than just game.

elephants

-= Topic moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, Kotonoha said:

i hope that is a joke...

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

i hope that is a joke...

A terrible one at that

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)