USPS is getting new trucks but only 10% are electric

GDRRiley
38 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Sure they will.  They can put as much battery into these things as they need to get the range they want.  The problem is that each unit of battery reduces the overall efficiency of the package, so that 300 miles of range won't be 100+mpge -- it'll probably be closer to 50-70mpge.  

@poochyena
As an EV owner, I can tell you with certainty that 300 miles is NOT 300 miles as it pertains to EV range.  When you're operating a vehicle with 90% energy efficiency, EVERYTHING you do induces losses.  Yes, even turning consumes energy.  Speeding up faster than necessary consumes extra energy.  Stopping too hard consumes energy.  Having a cabin that is constantly dumping cold/heat and having restore the operator's desired temps will consume energy.  Heck, having underinflated tires reduces energy efficiency.  And guess what?  Having a load that goes from 80% of cargo capacity to 10% capacity in the course of a day will take your tires from underinflated to overinflated, so you're not really going to be able to have an optimal tire pressure.  Hell, driving against the wind literally doubled my energy consumption for the trip, and travelling WITH the wind reduced the consumption to zero (not literally -- I started with 120 miles of range and ended the 20 mile trip with 120 miles of range).  

That's one saving grace of ICE's (such as it is): they're so inefficient that you don't have to sweat the little things -- they're so inconsequential that they don't affect your vehicle's range.  Only hard accelerations really make a difference.  So if you need consistency above all else, ICE wins handily.  

I don't know what the average load for a mail carrier truck is, (I've also never owned an EV, so take my statement with a grain of salt), but I think that while they could indeed add more batteries for more range, you run into some problems. Adding more batteries gets diminishing returns, as you said yourself with diminishing returns. Batteries are very heavy, and after a certain point they become to impractical to add. Batteries are also pretty expensive, (though the prices have indeed fallen astronomically in recent years) and given how limited the USPS's budget is, I think that they won't go all out in the battery department. They will probably do as many as needed, and that's it.

I've always had vehicles with an ICE, because gas is more practical. There are no EV charging stations where I am, and an ICE is cheaper anyway.

I think that it boils down to this. The main reason that most of the vehicles are ICE and not electric is that the postal service wants something that is good in most places. Not stuff that is great in some areas and impractical in others. I think that the EV is more of a proof of concept than anything. It says, "Yes, we could make all of the vehicles in our fleet electric, if the charging infrastructure was as universal as gas stations, and the benefits of EV's outweighed the ease of ICE's."

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

11 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

I think that it boils down to this. The main reason that most of the vehicles are ICE and not electric is that the postal service wants something that is good in most places. Not stuff that is great in some areas and impractical in others. I think that the EV is more of a proof of concept than anything. It says, "Yes, we could make all of the vehicles in our fleet electric, if the charging infrastructure was as universal as gas stations, and the benefits of EV's outweighed the ease of ICE's."

I disagree on a specific point but agree in general.  The point I agree on: EV's aren't for everybody, and they're not for everywhere.  I've been calling myself an EV owner, but what I didn't mention is that I got rid of it about 2 weeks ago because I've started taking long road trips and EV became just annoying to own (plus I'm in hurricane country, so having to arrange to borrow a car as a whirling dervish of death slowly approaches was unappealing).  

Where I disagree is the idea that EV's aren't suited to local "last mile" delivery trucks.  On the contrary, I think that is where they can work pretty much anywhere.  You know how long the route is gonna be, where the route is going to go, what weather the route is going to have to drive through, etc, so you can manufacture your truck with enough battery to satisfy the needs of that route.  You're parking the truck at the same place every night, so you can install the charging infrastructure right there.  

It'll definitely cost more up front, but 1) if the environment is a concern to you, then the choice is easy -- if cost is the only downside, it's not really a downside.  2) they will probably cost less over the long haul anyways since pretty much everything will continue to work just fine.  Just replace the battery and you've got a whole new truck.  Granted, that truck will be running on 10/20/30 year old tech, but it's a mail truck.  So long as it's still legally suitable on our roads, you don't need the latest and greatest tech.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD