Mint Mobile Increased Data Allotment for Each Tier

Summary

Recently Mint Mobile, a cellular service provider owned by Ryan Reynolds, increased all of the data you receive on all of their plans. Previously their plans were 3GB, 8GB, and 12Gb. Now their plans are 4GB, 10GB, and 15GB at the same price of the old plans.

Quotes

Perhaps… something else for 2021? It’s as easy as 1-2-3 (gigabytes).

• Our 3Gb offer? It’s 4Gb now. At the same price. For everyone.

• What about our 8Gb plan you ask? Have 10Gb. Enjoy.

• Are you a 12Gb sort of person? We didn’t forget you. Ring in the new year with 15Gb instead.

That’s over 25% more data. Included. In the plan. For the same price as before.

My thoughts

I believe this is very important because it is making Mint Mobile an even more competitive option against traditional cellular carriers. This could influence a change in the cellular provider industry causing them do something similar, or at the very least they would lower their prices to be more competitive. Hopefully this could cause a shift in the cost of cellular data in North America, hopefully making it more competitive to data prices in other parts of the world.

Sources

As a person who only uses their data for a hotspot, if it weren’t for the 2 year contract I recently signed I would have already switched over to them even prior to this.  The fact that their $15 plan covers 5G as well is just the cherry on the cake.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

2 minutes ago, JLO64 said:

As a person who only uses their data for a hotspot, if it weren’t for the 2 year contract I recently signed I would have already switched over to them even prior to this.  The fact that their $15 plan covers 5G as well is just the cherry on the cake.

Yeah it's an amazing deal, I'm planning on switching to them later this year. Yeah its running on the T-Mobile network and it comes with 5G included. Their referral program is also really awesome.

Now only if he would stop being a traitor and open up shop here....

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

14 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Now only if he would stop being a traitor and open up shop here....

Yeah sadly it's just here in the USA, it's also unfortunate how expensive the roaming fees are tbh

thank the frickin lord, I'm on the 3gb tier, and I was JUST about to switch to a plan with better coverage in my area, but then they HAD to give me a little more for my 15$ a month worth, so now it's not worth it to me to pay 20$ a mo. for 2gb data but better coverage

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

Don't get me wrong, I am for sure fine with them doing this, but maybe some better coverage?...

EDIT: to those concidering switching, I would do it. customer service is good, and doesn't take obscenely long (ahem... verizon.. ahem) to get a hold of a person. Coverage in northern parts of my area is spotty, but I understand that. Price can't be beat, and 5g is a plus

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

1 minute ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

Don't get me wrong, I am for sure fine with them doing this, but maybe some better coverage?...

Well the coverage isn't totally up to them, it's up to T-Mobile; cause that's who's towers they use.

Just now, jrhaberland said:

Well the coverage isn't totally up to them, it's up to T-Mobile; cause that's who's towers they use.

yeah, maybe more of t-Mobile's fault, but mint mobile sure has a bit more of a way to maybe nudge t-mobile to build a tower than I do.

2 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

yeah, maybe more of t-Mobile's fault, but mint mobile sure has a bit more of a way to maybe nudge t-mobile to build a tower than I do.

Yeah that's true, also I've noticed that some phones get better reception in the same place where others don't.

Just now, jrhaberland said:

Yeah that's true, also I've noticed that some phones get better reception in the same place where others don't.

yep, also partly my iphone 7's fault, I get slightly better coverage with my essential phone in the same place

3 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

yep, also partly my iphone 7's fault, I get slightly better coverage with my essential phone in the same place

I don't think the iPhone 7 supports T-Mobile's 600 MHz band for LTE

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Where's a $25/mo unlimited data plan. You can limit my talk or text, just give me cheaper unlimited data.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

T Mobile is in the process of absorbing Sprint. I expect that they will keep the Sprint towers in areas they dont have the best coverage, but its going to take time. Because they cant just switch off the sprint network, they have to give those customers time to get phones that are compatible with the T Mobile network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

T Mobile is in the process of absorbing Sprint. I expect that they will keep the Sprint towers in areas they dont have the best coverage, but its going to take time. Because they cant just switch off the sprint network, they have to give those customers time to get phones that are compatible with the T Mobile network. 

Yeah and they can’t keep all of Sprint’s towers because then they’d have a monopoly of certain areas, which the government wouldn’t like very much. 

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Where's a $25/mo unlimited data plan. You can limit my talk or text, just give me cheaper unlimited data.

It’s only $30 a month and I’d you refer some people it would e even cheaper

I bought the unlimited up front for a year.  Pretty good deal.  Came out to $30/mo instead of the $60/mo I was paying t-mobile for essentially the same service.   Had to fork over like $300 though for that year.  I like mint.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Well in Greece I still pay 10€ for 1.5 GB.

BTW, what is 5G? XD

Those towers deranged luddites burn down. My understanding is mint is US/Canada.  Possibly also Mexico.  I don’t know.  Different set of continents at any rate. They rent t-mobile bandwidth so they’ve got basically the exact same coverage as t-mobiles. I run an iPhone7+ so 5g likely means even less to me than it does to you.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I still can't understand how expensive and how little data people get and that in US of A which is suppose to be the pinnacle of capitalism. Looks like only for the oproviders and not users... And I don't live in some budget country where standard is so low they need to make everything cheap to be even used. We have contract plans with big data or "unlimited" for I don't know even 100€ a month and stuff, but there are also these no contract providers. They don't have "cheaper phones" offers with contracts which are all ripoffs anyway, but I'm paying 9.99€ for 35GB of data. 10€ for 35 gigs. Most contract plans start at 30€ in most cases and they have only like 20GB of data or less. And best of all, I started using this provider with same 9.99€ price and back in the beginning it had 3GB of data. That was several years ago. And through time they just keep on increasing it while my monthly expense hasn't changed at all. And since it's no contract, I can switch to another at any time I desire. Not that I want to because it's great, but I could. They also have one of the largest cell networks in my country and it runs solely on their network so no dumb switching between providers with different weird conditions for data measurement.

6 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

Yeah and they can’t keep all of Sprint’s towers because then they’d have a monopoly of certain areas, which the government wouldn’t like very much. 

No they couldn't keep all the spectrum. The Government give two fucks about the physical towers. No way they would ever have a monopoly. Verizon has better coverage, especially in Rural areas. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

This company looks good for those that live in an area where T mobile has good signal. Unfortunately for me Verizon is the only one that gets any signal where I'm at. Even then sometimes I struggle to get more than 1 bar.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I still can't understand how expensive and how little data people get and that in US of A which is suppose to be the pinnacle of capitalism. Looks like only for the oproviders and not users... And I don't live in some budget country where standard is so low they need to make everything cheap to be even used. We have contract plans with big data or "unlimited" for I don't know even 100€ a month and stuff, but there are also these no contract providers. They don't have "cheaper phones" offers with contracts which are all ripoffs anyway, but I'm paying 9.99€ for 35GB of data. 10€ for 35 gigs. Most contract plans start at 30€ in most cases and they have only like 20GB of data or less. And best of all, I started using this provider with same 9.99€ price and back in the beginning it had 3GB of data. That was several years ago. And through time they just keep on increasing it while my monthly expense hasn't changed at all. And since it's no contract, I can switch to another at any time I desire. Not that I want to because it's great, but I could. They also have one of the largest cell networks in my country and it runs solely on their network so no dumb switching between providers with different weird conditions for data measurement.

Yeah, sadly the US has one of the highest prices for data per GB in the world.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I bought the unlimited up front for a year.  Pretty good deal.  Came out to $30/mo instead of the $60/mo I was paying t-mobile for essentially the same service.   Had to fork over like $300 though for that year.  I like mint.  

Yeah that's one downside you have to pay up front, but you save so much money in the long run so its worth it.