Mint Mobile Increased Data Allotment for Each Tier

1 hour ago, jrhaberland said:

Yeah that's one downside you have to pay up front, but you save so much money in the long run so its worth it.

You do as long as the company survives long enough to get your paid service out. This extension worries me though I don’t know why it happened.  Might be the whole thing is unraveling.  Might not. When I bought my year I figured that even if the company failed it would take more than a year for it to happen.  I don’t know if Mint is doing really well or is getting desperate or something in between.  I hope it keeps going.  It’s a very functional service for very low rates.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You do as long as the company survives long enough to get your paid service out. This extension worries me though I don’t know why it happened.  Might be the whole thing is unraveling.  Might not. When I bought my year I figured that even if the company failed it would take more than a year for it to happen.  I don’t know if Mint is doing really well or is getting desperate or something in between.  I hope it keeps going.  It’s a very functional service for very low rates.

Yeah I don’t think their going to go out of business any time soon. They have much less overhead since they don’t have stores or spend tons of money on stadiums. 

4 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

Yeah I don’t think their going to go out of business any time soon. They have much less overhead since they don’t have stores or spend tons of money on stadiums. 

True.  It’s a train I’m likely to ride to the end.  300 bucks is three hundred bucks.  The whole “never leave the house thing”  that has been going on might actually make thing cheaper for me right now to use Ting, simply because I could always use wifi and simply not use any roaming data.  If things get better though it wont be, and in any case I’m locked in till my year winds up.  Savings would have been minor though.  Less than $10/mo.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

True.  It’s a train I’m likely to ride to the end.  300 bucks is three hundred bucks.  The whole “never leave the house thing”  that has been going on might actually make thing cheaper for me right now to use Ting, simply because I could always use wifi and simply not use any roaming data.  If things get better though it wont be, and in any case I’m locked in till my year winds up.  Savings would have been minor though.  Less than $10/mo.  

You can always switch to ting once your year is up. Then whenever we start going out more and not being at home all the time you can switch back to min of you want.

Here in italy you can get 30GB for 6 euros.

I know its not the same as being in the US but man, 300$ sound like a price for home internet 

19 minutes ago, ZuppaSalata said:

Here in italy you can get 30GB for 6 euros.

I know its not the same as being in the US but man, 300$ sound like a price for home internet 

Yeah data is super expensive here in the usa.

20190305_Data_Cost.jpg.d88274408675854f6d53335ee609b716.jpg

You can always switch to ting once your year is up. Then whenever we start going out more and not being at home all the time you can switch back to min of you want.

I’ve got time to make a decision.  I’ll wait till it’s about to end and assess.  There was a time when covid was supposed to be over by thanksgiving if you recall.  It seems perennially about 3 months in the future.  I have no confidence in what the future may hold at this point. 

49 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve got time to make a decision.  I’ll wait till it’s about to end and assess.  There was a time when covid was supposed to be over by thanksgiving if you recall.  It seems perennially about 3 months in the future.  I have no confidence in what the future may hold at this point. 

You could also always just renew with the $15 a month plan and that would be less than Ting as long as you use more than 1GB a month.

12 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

You could also always just renew with the $15 a month plan and that would be less than Ting as long as you use more than 1GB a month.

I was just looking at pricing. I pay about $156 a month for 3 lines with insurance on each device. We get 4Gigs per line a month. For Mint is like $75 a month for the same. Not sure if they provide insurance on the devices however. 

The only reason I dont switch is because I like my provider. There are some extras you get with T Mobile, such as T Mobile Tuesdays. I get free food, I get savings on Fuel each week, which is nice. Plus I like being able to walk in to a store and get a new phone that day. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I was just looking at pricing. I pay about $156 a month for 3 lines with insurance on each device. We get 4Gigs per line a month. For Mint is like $75 a month for the same. Not sure if they provide insurance on the devices however. 

The only reason I dont switch is because I like my provider. There are some extras you get with T Mobile, such as T Mobile Tuesdays. I get free food, I get savings on Fuel each week, which is nice. Plus I like being able to walk in to a store and get a new phone that day. 

Yeah they only offer insurance on iPhones and it's just AppleCare. But they do offer some sort of financing I believe.

Just now, jrhaberland said:

Yeah they only offer insurance on iPhones and it's just AppleCare. But they do offer some sort of financing I believe.

I dont finance devices. If I dont have the cash, I dont need them. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I dont finance devices. If I dont have the cash, I dont need them. 

Fair enough x3

True. Ever since March though I’ve left the house like once a week for at most two hours at a time.  I’m high risk.  I figured out my chance of death once and it was a bunch of nested 50%s.  If I get it 50% chance My lungs will start turning to pus (‘cause that’s what it does.) and I’ll have to go to the hospital, etc..   my healing rate seems to be a bit worse than half it was when I was 40 and inflammation is up about a third.   Basically I don’t leave unless there’s something even more dangerous like starvation.  I’m not sure what the difference is between this and house arrest.

3 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

Yeah data is super expensive here in the usa.

20190305_Data_Cost.jpg.d88274408675854f6d53335ee609b716.jpg

That’s not home internet. That’s cell phone.  Home internet is like $60/mo on a separate bill to a different company.  Would come out to like $600/yr or so. And that’s actually pretty  decent for America.. there are places where it is much worse. 

in America one pays by download speed generally.  Slower can be cheaper, but actual usage amount isn’t reported.  A way to confuse the issue.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

True. Ever since March though I’ve left the house like once a week for at most two hours at a time.  I’m high risk.  I figured out my chance of death once and it was a bunch of nested 50%s.  If I get it 50% chance My lungs will start turning to pus (‘cause that’s what it does.) and I’ll have to go to the hospital, etc..   my healing rate seems to be a bit worse than half it was when I was 40 and inflammation is up about a third.   Basically I don’t leave unless there’s something even more dangerous like starvation.  I’m not sure what the difference is between this and house arrest.

I kind of understand what you are going through there. 

My kids and wife are high risk [asthma/allergies](technically I am as well but I have to go to work). So I have become point man for getting things done in the outside world. 

My son is taking virtual classes for his first year in college and my daughter is for high school. 

From what I have seen, the only difference with house arrest, is you don't have a PO checking in with you each week???

As the talk about cell towers and such. 

I thought T-mobile was taking over Sprint because Sprint's network covers a longer distance. (I believe it runs on a different wave length than T-mobile does.)

If it makes you all feel any better, I pay T-mobile $200/month. For 4 lines, insurance for all phones, financing for 2? phones and unlimited data. 

And my home internet bill is $100/month for Gigabit Internet with Cox. (and I can't switch providers in my neighborhood.)

Also, I don't see myself changing from T-mobile. We have been with them since they became available in our area, 2002. 

It's funny when the customer support people have to end the call with thanking you for being with T-mobile for __# of time. 

There is always a pause because typically I have been a customer longer than that person has been working there. LOL

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

2 hours ago, Jason 57 said:

thought T-mobile was taking over Sprint because Sprint's network covers a longer distance.

Sprints shit network is why I’m on T mobile. TMobile owns part of 600 MHz which I think is the lowest frequency that cellular can use currently. That’s where they get the distance. The Sprint purchase I think was for mid and high band frequencies so they can do faster 5G. 

39 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sprints shit network is why I’m on T mobile. TMobile owns part of 600 MHz which I think is the lowest frequency that cellular can use currently. That’s where they get the distance. The Sprint purchase I think was for mid and high band frequencies so they can do faster 5G. 

yeah sprint's network as dog crap tbh.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

Jesus mobile phone plans are expensive in the US wtf.

Welcome to America lol

5 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

$30 of mine is just insurance on the devices. Then you can finance Phones and devices and that causes the bill to be high. They try to get you in to a perpetual lease to own. I always buy my devices out right. BUT I always get insurance because you never know. The insurance thru the provider generally covers it if its lost or stolen. 

5 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

And that's if you can get data. There are entire states like Vermont that have cellular infrastructure so poor that just simply walking somewhere else can cause you to lose the signal.

11 minutes ago, Nowak said:

And that's if you can get data. There are entire states like Vermont that have cellular infrastructure so poor that just simply walking somewhere else can cause you to lose the signal.

Yeah it's awful here in the states, internet is almost just as bad tbh.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

$30 of mine is just insurance on the devices. Then you can finance Phones and devices and that causes the bill to be high. They try to get you in to a perpetual lease to own. I always buy my devices out right. BUT I always get insurance because you never know. The insurance thru the provider generally covers it if its lost or stolen. 

Electronics “insurance” can be one of the bigggest ripoffs that currently exists.  The problem is that such “insurance” is not regulated.  I have had insurance on a phone before and found that the deductible was always more expensive than a used device.  Quite often it’s literally paying for nothing. “Extended warranties” are often actually insurance as well.  It used to be one of the big tip offs that you were being ripped off is if the actual document had the nam “asurion” somewhere on it which was an insurance company that specialized in unregulated insurance.  I don’t know if that is still true or not.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know if that is still true or not.

All providers use Asurion. They seem to be the industry leader. There is also SquareTrade which is backed by All State of all companies. But last I checked they dont protect against lost or stolen devices. 

Electronics “insurance” can be one of the bigggest ripoffs that currently exists.

Insurance as a whole is a scam. That includes car insurance and health insurance. But your better off being protected than not. 

deductible was always more expensive than a used device.

Im very wary of buying used iPhones. Due to people not removing their iCloud accounts and such. Which means I would have to get it from T Mobile, to be sure. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

All providers use Asurion. They seem to be the industry leader. There is also SquareTrade which is backed by All State of all companies. But last I checked they dont protect against lost or stolen devices. 

Insurance as a whole is a scam. That includes car insurance and health insurance. But your better off being protected than not. 

Im very wary of buying used iPhones. Due to people not removing their iCloud accounts and such. Which means I would have to get it from T Mobile, to be sure. 

Sort of.  It was a big enough problem that the limit of profit taking was set at a hard 30% is it cheaper to back your own potential losses? Yes.  By 30%.  It’s a large cap, but it was set back while insurance companies had to have offices and salesmen, and not just a website. Unregulated insurance means they can charge MORE than 30%.  And it’s generally a lot more. Like “wolf of Wall Street”level more.