Why do Linus always play DOOM?

Alkaid

Personally speaking, the DOOM is a little bloody and horror. I don't feel very comfortable when I see this game. Since ESRB classifies this game as 17+, I believe there are noticeable number of people who have the same feel. Why don't Linus try some gentler games? Linus is mainly a hardware reviewer and DOOM is not the only game that can display the capacity of hardware. I know Linus might love the game. But since his video is not marked as 17+ on YouTube, I think it is not very suitable to play the game that is classified as 17+.

Main Desktop:

Case:Jonsbo A4

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K

GPU: Intel Arc A770 Limited Edition

CPU Cooling: Asus ROG Strix LC II 240mm AIO, with 4x Noctua A12x25 Fan.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690i Aorus Ultra DDR4

RAM: G.Skill DDR4 3600CL18 32GBx2
System Drive: Samsung 970Pro 1TB.

File Drive: Samsung 980Pro 2TB.

Media Drive: Intel S4510 3.84TBx2 (RAID 0)

PSU: Silverstone SX650G 650W SFX

Mini Home Server:

Case: Akasa Plato X8

CPU: Intel i5-8259U

Cooling: Passive Cooling Case

Motherboard: NUC8 i5BEH

RAM: 2400Mhz 16GBx2

Drive: Samsung 970Pro 512GB.

NAS :

Case: Jonsbo N1

CPU: Intel Xeon D-1521

Motherboard: X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

RAM: Micron 2400MHz ECC RDIMM 32GBx4

Pool 1: Data: WestDigit Red Plus 8TBx5 (RAID-Z1) Metadata: Intel P1600X 118GBx2 (Mirror)

Pool 2: Intel 670P 2TBx3 (RAID-Z1)

PSU: Silverstone SX300-B SFX

Mobile Devices: Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 (13.5-inch edition) | Microsoft Surface Go 2 | Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 | Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 | Microsoft Surface Headphones | Sony Linkbuds S | Sony Linkbuds

You're not wrong.  I don't know if he feels that his videos are family friendly, but the cursing (even if censored) and lewd humor suggest he's catering to adults.  Marking your videos as 17+ on YouTube is probably a good way to kill your channel, which is probably why he doesn't do it.  

Having said that, he uses Doom because it's a new game and it's very well made: you get great results with great graphics, and the game is playable with almost any hardware, making it a useful control to compare that hardware.  If something better comes along, he may retire it, but given how often he plays Tomb Raider despite that game being practically ancient by video game standards, it might be around for a while.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

nonsense

DOOM franchise is of those older ones thats was revolutionary 2016 "reboot" was almost flawless and has more fans than most of other shooter games so it makes sence to use it ALSO technically speaking it is a very well optimised game with a lot variation in environment so it makes it a good benchmark

as for gentle games : to put it very lightly those suck ass

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

yeah, even i don't get it, maybe it's his guilty pleasure game. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Doom and Doom Eternal were popular games that were noted for being well optimized, so they are good choices for a hardware benchmark that will be relevant and understandable to many people. I don't think it has much to do with Linus's personal taste in games, the only thing I've seen him play on his Twitch stream in his downtime is Anno 1800. 

The Doom franchise's guts-n'-goblins aesthetic comes off more as amusing schlock these days than anything else, an artifact of a bunch of nerds in the early 90's trying to get attention for their creation by shocking mainstream sensibilities with "Satanic imagery" and (by the standards of the day) over-the-top violence. Some people enjoy that style and that's fine (although there are some people whose tastes have never evolved or expanded beyond it, which is kind of sad). Some people like you don't and that's fine too. Neither group has the right to impose their tastes on the other, especially when the game is being used as a demonstration for reasons totally unrelated to personal tastes anyway.

If you're so traumatized by a 30 second gameplay clip in a 10 or 20 minute video... learn where the right arrow on your keyboard is?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

In one of the recent videos he actually answered this question.. He said a big part of it is that he just likes it.

1 hour ago, Rybo said:

but the cursing (even if censored) 

Its probably just so he dosent get demonetized by adsense

Because according to linus while playing this game "pew pew aaaw pew pew pew i kiiilled you pew pew I am dead" 

Well, it's a VERY stressful game, and one that many people play. He prolly does it for relevancy,  as: 
1. Relateable, so tha tpeople actually using his videos for reference of what hardware to buy that want to play DOOM have an idea of what they get, and:

2. again, it's intended as a benchmark.

I don't actually watch videos, but I'm pretty sure what they show on screen isn't anything not suitable for 13+ audience. Their test suite of games is Tomb Raider, Doom, Forza 4(?), CSGO, Squadron, Rocket League. Of which Doom and Tomb Raider are used to stress graphical performance, and former also to see if gameplay feels smooth. Advantage of using games presenters actually play themselves is that they can immediately say whether gameplay feels good or not.

They have had BF1 at one point in the test suite.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Because pc gamers or gamers in general are weird and they love this pos game... 

it goes back to ancient times when Billy Gates had a shotgun to kill the 'baddies' so they all want to be like Billy now... or something like that! 

It actually makes sense to keep using the same game when comparing hardware though.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 5:13 PM, Alkaid said:

Personally speaking, the DOOM is a little bloody and horror. I don't feel very comfortable when I see this game. Since ESRB classifies this game as 17+, I believe there are noticeable number of people who have the same feel. Why don't Linus try some gentler games? Linus is mainly a hardware reviewer and DOOM is not the only game that can display the capacity of hardware. I know Linus might love the game. But since his video is not marked as 17+ on YouTube, I think it is not very suitable to play the game that is classified as 17+.

Toughen up,In such a sensitive society we need to toughen up.

As long as it doesn't harm anyone it's fine.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566