Just bought LTTs Mineral Oil PC! Don’t know what to do with it

Jacob Canale

Long story short, I live in Langley BC, a short drive from the LTT office, and as I was casually scrolling through fb marketplace, I noticed the Original Mineral Oil PC was for sale. I quickly reached out and bought it for a cool 300 Canadian pesos. My current plans are to convert it into an air cooled pc, but retain the fish tank look of the original Mineral Oil Pc. The components are currently dripping dry, but I plan on washing them with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol in a week or two. Final goal is to bring this thing to ltx. Let me know what you all think! Excited to own a piece of LTT history and also something from my childhood. (Plus, 300 bucks for a 1070 and a 5960x ain’t too bad 🤔)

3C0539ED-1BBB-467E-8243-85459024DB31.jpeg

I would personally still keep it mineral cooled, but that's just me finding a pc in mineral oil absolutely amazing. nice find. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

8 minutes ago, Jacob Canale said:

Long story short, I live in Langley BC, a short drive from the LTT office, and as I was casually scrolling through fb marketplace, I noticed the Original Mineral Oil PC was for sale. I quickly reached out and bought it for a cool 300 Canadian pesos. My current plans are to convert it into an air cooled pc, but retain the fish tank look of the original Mineral Oil Pc. The components are currently dripping dry, but I plan on washing them with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol in a week or two. Final goal is to bring this thing to ltx. Let me know what you all think! Excited to own a piece of LTT history and also something from my childhood. (Plus, 300 bucks for a 1070 and a 5960x ain’t too bad 🤔)

3C0539ED-1BBB-467E-8243-85459024DB31.jpeg

What separates this PC from other is that its submerged in mineral oil. If you air cool it its just another PC

You could damn near sell that gpu and make a profit. Ignoring the fact that it has been tainted with mineral oil of course.

you'll have to google how to remove oil residue from PCB, as i dont think alcohol will do that for you

keep it in the tank but aircool it seems like a wise idea seeing how it's been leaking and what not

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I would personally still keep it mineral cooled, but that's just me finding a pc in mineral oil absolutely amazing. nice find. 

I really do feel bad not keeping it mineral oil cooled, but for ease of mobility and overall maintenance I think it is personally better for me. A pc in mineral oil is pretty amazing. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

you'll have to google how to remove oil residue from PCB, as i dont think alcohol will do that for you

keep it in the tank but aircool it seems like a wise idea seeing how it's been leaking and what not

Yeah definitely gonna have to do some more research. Was a very spontaneous buy so just now thinking things out lol

11 minutes ago, Jacob Canale said:

The only advice I would have would be the make sure everything is cleaned a thoroughly as possible then just for good measure clean everything again, probably twice.

Mineral oil is notoriously difficult to clean off, even when you think its gone it still leaves behind residue which will destroy any heat transfer from heat paste to a HSF.

You'll need hot water and soap to remove oil, alcohol will not remove it. Apparently the best method to remove oil from electronics is to dishwasher all the PCBs.

It is going to require you strip everything down fully, that means GPU cooler off entirely and any plastic/metal shrouds on the board also need to be removed. Dishwasher the board, ram & GPU on a low heat setting, any plastics will need hot water & dish soap multiple times, you might have to replace the fan on the GPU. Its not going to be an easy thing to clean up.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Jacob Canale said:

Yeah definitely gonna have to do some more research. Was a very spontaneous buy so just now thinking things out lol

do make sure you check the paste on the GPU before firing up

i remember Luke said he fried one because the oil removed the paste between the die and cooler (makes sense because most paste is oil-based)

and linus also killed one, im not sure if it's the exact one that you have or not

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The only advice I would have would be the make sure everything is cleaned a thoroughly as possible then just for good measure clean everything again, probably twice.

Mineral oil is notoriously difficult to clean off, even when you think its gone it still leaves behind residue which will destroy any heat transfer from heat paste to a HSF.

You'll need hot water and soap to remove oil, alcohol will not remove it. Apparently the best method to remove oil from electronics is to dishwasher all the PCBs.

It is going to require you strip everything down fully, that means GPU cooler off entirely and any plastic/metal shrouds on the board also need to be removed. Dishwasher the board, ram & GPU on a low heat setting, any plastics will need hot water & dish soap multiple times, you might have to replace the fan on the GPU. Its not going to be an easy thing to clean up.

Whew! Makes me a little nervous, but I have more than enough time to get this done I think. How safe is putting computer components in the dishwasher? Gonna be a fun time I’m sure.

1 minute ago, Jacob Canale said:

Whew! Makes me a little nervous, but I have more than enough time to get this done I think. How safe is putting computer components in the dishwasher? Gonna be a fun time I’m sure.

decently safe, but, high temps+water=corrosion. also, any food bits in your dishwasher previously (think drainage traps) are now splattered on your components. I've seen people scrub their components or wash them by hand with detergent and water. 

AMD blackout rig

5 minutes ago, Jacob Canale said:

Dont do it in a DW used for food, same goes for the oven method. Keep food prep and that stuff seperate...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

25 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

decently safe, but, high temps+water=corrosion. also, any food bits in your dishwasher previously (think drainage traps) are now splattered on your components. I've seen people scrub their components or wash them by hand with detergent and water. 

Good luck cleaning an Intel BGA socket by scrubbing it....

22 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Dont do it in a DW used for food, same goes for the oven method. Keep food prep and that stuff seperate...

Why exactly? Dishwashers are used in the catering industry not only because they're quicker than washing by hand but because they get so hot they literately sterilise themselves and everything in them during a cycle.

As long as you make sure to clean out the filters beforehand then you send it round on a full cycle with nothing in to remove any debris its perfectly fine.

Oven I would agree with, I wouldn't want to eat food cooked in an over that's had molten solder in it but dishwashers are self sterilising. There's almost zero risk of cross contamination. The 8 bit guy uses his dishwasher to clean PCBs pretty regularly, heck I've seen people poach fish in a dishwasher before.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i would keep it the way it is. if u change it then its not original history no more and it drops in value

4 hours ago, Edmond Dantes said:

i would keep it the way it is. if u change it then its not original history no more and it drops in value

Not worried about the value lol. Don’t plan on selling it, and a mineral oil pc that leaks is kind of a pain. Legit you can’t touch this thing without getting oil everywhere 

Damn! 300?! I would personally leave it as it is. xD 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Good luck cleaning an Intel BGA socket by scrubbing it....

oh, yup, forgot it was an intel socket.

AMD blackout rig

Hey y’all! 

About a week ago I purchased (sorta) famous LTT Mineral Oil PC from some dude on Facebook marketplace. In the end I decided that in the end I was going to convert it to a air cooled pc, but keeping as many as original parts as possible. As you may have guessed, this did require me to drill a few large fan holes in a somewhat rare pc case, but given the fact that I was leaky already, and that I was not willing to put the time into servicing a leaky oil computer, I decided it was the best course of action. Today I have mostly completed the computer, which still has the original Motherboard, power supply, CPU (5960x), CPU cooler, and Graphics card (kind of original, was the replacement for the 780 after it fell to the wrath of Linus. Also still has the castle, boat, and original aquarium rocks! A few parts were added, mainly a Ed black 500gb nvme ssd, and a 1tb Samsung ssd. Overall I am pleased with the outcome, but it still has a little bit to go before I am completely happy with it. I do plan on bringing it to LTX 2021 if it happens! Hope you all enjoy! I present, SLICK 3.0, LESS STICKY EDITION.

C9981598-5454-44AF-B767-4F795A12AEA5.jpeg

0B6CE77C-0B2F-4B06-A4FC-AEF5B9B14BF2.jpeg

523E050F-71B5-4C5C-8D5E-72601ACD6331.jpeg

This is pretty damn awesome! I remember watching these videos when I first found them to be entertaining...but those days are long gone. 

Quite an amazing score to find and preserve, I love the case. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

23 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

This is the mineral oil PC?

How on earth did you get that?

Yep it is the one and only. Ltt was giving it away for free to whoever could come and pick it up first at their offices, and I bought it for 300 bucks from the winner of that contest 😂 

Just now, Jacob Canale said:

Yep it is the one and only. Ltt was giving it away for free to whoever could come and pick it up first at their offices, and I bought it for 300 bucks from the winner of that contest 😂 

Nice!

elephants

@Jacob Canale, I have merged your update with the original thread and moved to complete saga to Build Logs. In general, updates to older threads should be posted in the older thread. And since this was kinda a story, it fits best in Build Logs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

@Jacob Canale, I have merged your update with the original thread and moved to complete saga to Build Logs. In general, updates to older threads should be posted in the older thread. And since this was kinda a story, it fits best in Build Logs.

Awesome sounds good 👍 

On 2/7/2021 at 12:37 PM, Jacob Canale said:

Awesome sounds good 👍 

How did you clean it in the end? I was thinking ultrasonic PCB cleaner but the gear is likely more than you paid for the rig.

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro