Increase VRAM

Go to solution Solved by flashiling,

i've heard roumors of websites where you can download more ram and VRAM.

but i haven't been able to locate these fabled websites myself, and i am still on a long journey to find them.

For real though, your VRAM is built into your GPU so unless you somehow do what a few brazilians did and re solder another gpu's VRAM chip onto your gpu chip then no i don't belive it's possible.

I have a 
AMD A6-9225
Radeon R4 2GB Memory
4 GB Ram
128 MB VRAM

And i have a quiet little issue of rendering texture in games
So isn't there a way to actually increase my VRAM?

Without BIOS
I have a trash bios
With only 4 options
So can't do anything in the BIOS
Many say that you can unlock advanced BIOS but i can't
If you say a solution for that too

That would be AWESOME
I have a HP Laptop db1500xxx
Motherboard-HP
Product No- 84AC 
BIOS Version- Insyde F.31

but i haven't been able to locate these fabled websites myself, and i am still on a long journey to find them.

For real though, your VRAM is built into your GPU so unless you somehow do what a few brazilians did and re solder another gpu's VRAM chip onto your gpu chip then no i don't belive it's possible.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 hours ago, flashiling said:

In-short
I cant get more vram

But i have a question that
Users with intel gpu can actually increase their vram by doing some registry editing
WHY CAN'T AMD USERS DO THAT?????

bruh...

1 minute ago, Dr.Disrespect said:

In-short
I cant get more vram

Users with intel gpu can actually increase their vram by doing some registry editing

bruh...

Because AMD simply does not have any more VRAM than 128mb. Intel users may have more VRAm, but it has to be enbaled with registery editor.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

5 minutes ago, Dr.Disrespect said:

I have a 
AMD A6-9225
Radeon R4 2GB Memory
4 GB Ram
128 MB VRAM

And i have a quiet little issue of rendering texture in games
So isn't there a way to actually increase my VRAM?

Without BIOS
I have a trash bios
With only 4 options
So can't do anything in the BIOS
Many say that you can unlock advanced BIOS but i can't
If you say a solution for that too

That would be AWESOME
I have a HP Laptop db1500xxx
Motherboard-HP
Product No- 84AC 
BIOS Version- Insyde F.31

You can conflicting information here you say you have a Radeon R4  with 2GB Memory and also say you have 128 MB VRAM. That does not compute.

I doubt you have a GPU with dedicated memory so your RAM is share with the GPU. So you can only change it in the bios. if there are no relevant settings you are out of luck

2 minutes ago, Dr.Disrespect said:

you're telling me intel cpu's can increase VRAM, a physical part of a graphics card, by edeting some system files?

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Disrespect said:

Pretty sure you're mistaken and mean that with a much more up-to-date computers integrated GPU's share RAM with the system, and making more system RAM available can be used to bump up the "VRAM" as well.

Just now, flashiling said:

you're telling me intel cpu's can increase VRAM, a physical part of a graphics card, by edeting some system files?

The GPU is integrated does not have any memory itself it is shared with system RAM.

Just now, Biomecanoid said:

The GPU is integrated does not have any memory itself it is shared with system RAM.

thought he meant that he could edit registry files to add more VRAM to his dedicated graphics card.

Which was the part that confused me

11 minutes ago, flashiling said:

thought he meant that he could edit registry files to add more VRAM to his dedicated graphics card.

Which was the part that confused me

We don't have a dedicated GPU here. Plus even if you could do that system RAM is slower that the memory on GPUs and it would slow you down.

Registry entries can only change the GUI part, the text displayed in windows saying how much memory you have on the GPU, you can make it say anything you want like 10TB and it will not have any real effect. You can also change the displayed name of your GPU to 4090 if you wish.

3 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

We don't have a dedicated GPU here. Plus even if you could do that system RAM is slower that the memory on GPUs and it would slow you down.

Registry entries can only change the GUI part, the text displayed in windows saying for much memory you have on the GPU, you can make it say anything you want like 10TB and it will not have any real effect. You can also change the displayed name of your GPU to 4090 if you wish.

A.

thanks for the info, got a bit smarter today.

The integrated video card doesn't have dedicated VRAM. A portion of your regular RAM is reserved for the integrated graphics. 

By design, the video card drivers can and will also reserve a portion of regular RAM even when the video card has dedicated VRAM ... it uses that portion of RAM to swap stuff that's not needed at a particular moment inside the video card with stuff that's needed. This way, you can play a game that needs 5-8 GB of stuff on a video card that has only 2-4 GB of VRAM... slow, but will work, stuff is swapped between video card ram and regular ram as needed. 

Another example, think of a game like GTA V where you drive with a card and go inside a garage, if you have too little VRAM on the card, the game can take the textures of trees and sky and move it to ram to make room in the VRAM in the card for textures of inside the parking garage basement, of other cars, whatever)

With an integrated video card, there's no VRAM, there's only regular RAM like I said, so it will make practically NO difference if you reserve 128 MB, or 512 MB or 2 GB ... besides this amount reserved in BIOS, the drive also reserves some amount, and both portions have SAME speed. 

Editing the registry on Intel processors will make it report more ram reserved, but won't (or shouldn't) increase performance. 

It only helps to increase this amount if you have some ancient games that refuse to run if they think the video card has too little ram - I had for example games that refused to work unless they detect at least 512 MB of VRAM - but the check was too dumb to consider that portion of ram reserved by the driver. 

You can see for yourself how much memory is available for the video card using dxdiag which is installed with direct x 

Open a command prompt and type dxdiag and you'll see the info in the display tab : 

On this pc I type on, you can see 128 MB of VRAM (not actual vram, regular ram reserved in bios)  and 2004 MB the driver can use from regular RAM should it want to - the total "vram" the card can play with is 2132 MB.  This crappy PC has a total of 4 GB of DDR4 memory installed, it's a basic office PC. 

image.png.7eef3b88d933dbb74c2cc3e407e3fed1.png

On 1/27/2021 at 3:09 PM, mariushm said:

The integrated video card doesn't have dedicated VRAM. A portion of your regular RAM is reserved for the integrated graphics. 

By design, the video card drivers can and will also reserve a portion of regular RAM even when the video card has dedicated VRAM ... it uses that portion of RAM to swap stuff that's not needed at a particular moment inside the video card with stuff that's needed. This way, you can play a game that needs 5-8 GB of stuff on a video card that has only 2-4 GB of VRAM... slow, but will work, stuff is swapped between video card ram and regular ram as needed. 

Another example, think of a game like GTA V where you drive with a card and go inside a garage, if you have too little VRAM on the card, the game can take the textures of trees and sky and move it to ram to make room in the VRAM in the card for textures of inside the parking garage basement, of other cars, whatever)

With an integrated video card, there's no VRAM, there's only regular RAM like I said, so it will make practically NO difference if you reserve 128 MB, or 512 MB or 2 GB ... besides this amount reserved in BIOS, the drive also reserves some amount, and both portions have SAME speed. 

Editing the registry on Intel processors will make it report more ram reserved, but won't (or shouldn't) increase performance. 

It only helps to increase this amount if you have some ancient games that refuse to run if they think the video card has too little ram - I had for example games that refused to work unless they detect at least 512 MB of VRAM - but the check was too dumb to consider that portion of ram reserved by the driver. 

You can see for yourself how much memory is available for the video card using dxdiag which is installed with direct x 

Open a command prompt and type dxdiag and you'll see the info in the display tab : 

On this pc I type on, you can see 128 MB of VRAM (not actual vram, regular ram reserved in bios)  and 2004 MB the driver can use from regular RAM should it want to - the total "vram" the card can play with is 2132 MB.  This crappy PC has a total of 4 GB of DDR4 memory installed, it's a basic office PC. 

image.png.7eef3b88d933dbb74c2cc3e407e3fed1.png

Thanks For Giving Such A Clear And Long Information
: D