Raja Koduri shows Ponte Vecchio (Xe HPC) package, That's a lot of chiplets.

AlexGoesHigh

On twitter Raja Koduri, one of intel top engineers posted a picture of the silicon package of Ponte Vecchio. The largest GPU in the entire Xe family that's meant for datacenters and supercomputers, its also the part of the compute stack for the Aurora supercomputer. Raja says that the package is composed of 7 different silicon technologies such as Intel Foveros, EMIB, 10nm superfin and next gen 7nm also others technologies are third party silicon process such as the IO link.

PV_Car_678x452.jpg

Intel-4_26_575px.jpg

Quotes

The post comes about as intel is gonna do the first power on test for Ponte Vecchio, an important milestone in chip design.

That's a lot of glued on chips for a company that once called glued on chips inferior... Memes and trolling aside that's honestly amazing and its a short post but anyways i think is interesting for the fact that Intel is placing a lot of different tech in order to make a giant GPU for compute. In comparison first gen EPYC was four dies in a package. 2nd gen EPYC, the up to 64 core behemoth that crushed intel, goes up to 8 7nm chiplets and 1 IO die in the middle and here Intel is one step closer to releasing this beast that built on 7 different silicon technologies.

Sources

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16453/intel-teases-ponte-vecchio-xehpc-power-on-posts-photo-of-server-chip

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So the 8 squares on the edges are core chilpets, the big center is IO, and what are the thin rectangles on the corners?

40 minutes ago, Rugg said:

So the 8 squares on the edges are core chilpets, the big center is IO, and what are the thin rectangles on the corners?

My guess is the two large chips in the middle are the GPU elements, the 8 chips around those are HBM and the two in diagonally opposite corners are....???

7 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

IO?

Possibly, would be an odd choice if there is only 1 large GPU chip per IO chip though, would be rather bandwidth and connectivity limiting for not much gain unless they plan on updating the GPU chips faster or have many different ones etc.

Might be a high speed low latency L4 cache maybe, like RNDA2 but off chip on package from the main GPUs.

This is just me going on what i think make sense so i could be completely wrong but i think this is what the chips layout could be.

image.thumb.png.83e483d274a9ae431da813768cabca20.png

Another good posible layout is swap Rambo cache and IO/Base chips, thoughts? 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Is this how the final product is supposed to look like or is it just a sample to test it? The tightly packed, rectangular and perfectly symmetrical part in the middle looks like it might be just one die in the future. Any idea about the size of this thing?

Edit: Size estimation considering 0402 and 0201 caps (might be completely wrong).

grafik.png.5a75ddd7bb5eebb361c62b820374743e.png

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Intel should be considered an adhesive company after this much glue.

At least they stopped sniffing it. Impressive! That chip ain't no Dorito!

5 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

HBM/Rambo cache?

Sylvester Stallone wants to know your location! One NEVER puts HBM and Rambo in the same sentence!

🤣

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

3 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Is this how the final product is supposed to look like or is it just a sample to test it? The tightly packed, rectangular and perfectly symmetrical part in the middle looks like it might be just one die in the future. Any idea about the size of this thing?

Edit: Size estimation considering 0402 and 0201 caps (might be completely wrong).

grafik.png.5a75ddd7bb5eebb361c62b820374743e.png

That's one heck of a chip, dunno exactly how big EPYC/TR chips are, but this is probably bigger. Although, should the rumours about AMD's upcoming 7000 series GPUs have any merit on the chiplet design, these Intel Xe chips may not be the biggest GPU chips for long!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

14 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Is this how the final product is supposed to look like or is it just a sample to test it? The tightly packed, rectangular and perfectly symmetrical part in the middle looks like it might be just one die in the future.

I just realized the tidy looking part in the middle is the Foveros package. It is a single die with a whole bunch of additonal tiny dies on top. This means the tiny dies on top are not IO dies but rather compute cores or cache "tiles". It would be interesting to know how the chip will be cooled and if it is possible to directly put pressure on this structure or if it needs an IHS to work. It looks rather fragile to be honest.

10 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

That's one heck of a chip, dunno exactly how big EPYC/TR chips are, but this is probably bigger

The Threadripper/EPYC package size is 58.5 mm × 75.4 mm, so it's roughly in the same ball park if I'm not mistaken.

50 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

I just realized the tidy looking part in the middle is the Foveros package. It is a single die with a whole bunch of additonal tiny dies on top. This means the tiny dies on top are not IO dies but rather compute cores or cache "tiles". It would be interesting to know how the chip will be cooled and if it is possible to directly put pressure on this structure or if it needs an IHS to work. It looks rather fragile to be honest.

All of the earlier teases for it show it with an IHS. Doesn't answer your question on whether it requires the IHS or not, but it does have one.

Intel's Raja Koduri teases Xe Ponte Vecchio graphics chips

Raja Koduri on Twitter: "BFP - big 'fabulous' package😀… "

On 1/26/2021 at 3:09 PM, jaslion said:

I hope that because there are so many chiplets they avoided getting too much latency between them. If they do have a lot of latency they should probably look at their glue quality :p.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:11 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

Intel should be considered an adhesive company after this much glue.

Don't forget that Navi was "Koduri's pet project" (https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-reunites-raja-koduri-with-his-baby-an-rx-6800-graphics-card/)...

Intel (probably) went "the way of the glue (™ pending)" after getting Threadripper™-ed by AMD...

btw no joke; for real how would one go about trademarking a phrase/slogan/etc.?

7 minutes ago, linuxChips2600 said:

@LinusTechshould be invited to test that 😜

Before anyone calls me out for tagging the main man himself... think about all the P U B L I C I T Y that such an invitation can generate if done properly... It'd be kinda cool too to interview someone who is now (afaik, at least partly) responsible for driving innovation behind two competing semiconductor giants. (video idea anyone?)

Did they actually call that cache "Rambo Cache" lol? What is it going to do, slice some necks and cut some trees with M60 ?

I really wonder why there are two different shaped HMB dies... any ideas?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible