How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

You realize you were being paid HALF of minimum wage, right? Which is illegal...

72 hours a week, at the lowest minimum wage I'm aware of (~$7, your state might be higher) is $504 a week.

it is illegal your are right how  ever it is not illegal for a seasonal job 

Minor min was 6.25

it is illegal your are right how  ever it is not illegal for a seasonal job 

Minor min was 6.25

Well, according to the people who made the law, they do have to pay you at least minimum wage, as well as time and a half for overtime, EVEN for seasonal. http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/seasonalemployment.htm

And that law came about in 1938, the only thing to change since then was minimum wage.

I worked as a Paperboy (best I could do with 16) but lost my "Job" 2 weeks ago because they found a ceaper way to deliver the magazines :( looking for another job to get my Money for PC parts.

Professional n00b gamer!

How do you get people to know you do that kind of stuff? I would love to do that but I don't know how.

Even if you found people who needed help like that, they wouldn't employ a 15 year old to do it.

Just wait a year and get a job when you're 16.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Being Asian I get a 'red packet' where your grandparents (and maybe aunties/uncles) give you moneh in a red packet. I normally take enough money to get what I want and save the rest to around 1/2 to 3/5 of the money I get.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I used to do some work for my neighbours, find some "job" that you can do if you're not 18, do something for your family, if it's a lot of work, ask for a "prize" :D

I worked at a supermarket for two months before coming to Japan, where I am forbidden from getting a proper job. That money paid for my laptop and the upgrades I want to do on it.

Stocking at Publix, WITH MY ORDERLY OCD!!!

Because he had a hard drive.

I worked at a supermarket for two months before coming to Japan, where I am forbidden from getting a proper job. That money paid for my laptop and the upgrades I want to do on it.

I'll bite. Why are you forbidden from getting a proper job?

I'm 17 but where I live the working laws are different. You can get a part time job at 14 ( and be paid for it ) and then fulltime from 17 onwards. I work as a Sailing Instructor and an English teacher as well as managing my IB Diploma at the same time. The secret to success in having no social life. on top of all of this I'm a freelance graphic and web developer and make websites for local businesses and some game communities  :)

So far I've self-bought my Playstation 3, Nokia Lumia 1020, Surface Pro 3 and have built a gaming PC (and buying my GTX970 next paycheque) as well as 500+ Steam games

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

in highschool i used to jailbreak phones and do malware/virus removal on peoples computer, in addition to "password recovery" for money.  but now that im 23, have a "real job" (i work retail), and trying to support myself and family, my old side jobs have become extremely scarce and i simply dont buy parts anymore lol

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I rob banks.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I -have- earned money via precious metals marketing, but otherwise lots of saving up since I was extremely young.  Granted I am not 15 anymore, but I mostly did metal marketing as I grew up, so earn cash, turn cash to silver, sell silver when high, buy when low, and then rinse and repeat until you can start with gold, platinum, palladium(fun fact; Palladium is useful in the dentistry business, so encourage people to eat lots of candy and not brush their teeth so the price of it goes up!  Kidding of course ;p).

Saving money and being paid £30 a week for attending my course at SERC Northern Ireland.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I've applied everywhere, can't find shit. No one in this area is hiring. Where do you live?

I live in Singapore. You can walk up to like topshop or something and just apply for a position. I don't understand, why would a retail shop or mcdonalds reject you? Its not like they have requirements or anything, just put on their clothes and smile and wave :D

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I repair/build computers for people. Just yesterday I made $100 for going to a local business and connecting their new computers to the office's network and drives.

Easy for me, looks like magic to them :D.

LOL i wish i could get money for helping people with computer, i have spent 15+ hours working on other peoples computers, must be nice  ;)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Do anything people will pay me for (yard work, house work, repair work, livestock care, etc)  and i have (until i built my computer) only spent $300 in my life, (i save money for reasons like this) so when i wanted my computer, i bought my computer and still had plenty to spare (mostly because i made the mistake of putting my money in a savings account so my dad wouldn't let me spend the 1.2k i wanted to on my computer so instead i spent roughly $600) 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Well When I was 15 I did any work my family had for me to do including after school work like helping all the teachers carry books from the new delivery wagon to the school library, Go shopping for people, Paper round, General courier type stuff like delivering letters, I even got a part time job with the postal service albeit I tagged along with the mail man and helped carry parcels etc...

Baby sitting, Dog walking.

Gotta work to get stuff especially if your parent/s don't have that much.

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

I live in Singapore. You can walk up to like topshop or something and just apply for a position. I don't understand, why would a retail shop or mcdonalds reject you? Its not like they have requirements or anything, just put on their clothes and smile and wave :D

"we aren't hiring right now"

No one is hiring because the economy isn't growing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As a med student I work in a hospital for 60 hours a week on average, with no pay yet. Luckily my parents support me with most of the stuff I need, and I buy some little extras from time to time with christmas money. Sounds childish having to word it this way as a 24 year old, but that's just the reality of things. I'm not going to get an extra job because the resulting fatigue would be irresponsible to the patients.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

mow dat lawn man make and bank jk but serioiusly

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I have long hair and I live on the corner.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

when i was 15 i got lucky and my parents let me cut the grass for them and other people using their lawnmower luckily the people i lived around had huge ass yards and i charge $45-60 to cut and if they didnt pay me enough i used the push mower with an uneven blade so it made it look bad when my parents found out i got in trouble though but it worked for a little while. Also i worked at a carwash close by and the owner gave me $20 every 4-5 days for cleaning out the muddy bays and general maintenance 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

Hm.  My 13 year old must be spoiled.  I buy all his stuff for him, and I'm planning on giving him a loaded pre-paid VISA for his birthday. 

my dad has a credit card :D

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |