Palit send me a BIOS file that has broken my 3070

OnlyAxolotl

Long story short.

I was having some trouble with my 3070 "BIOS updater" on their website.

It stated that the BIOS didn't need to be updated.

Palit sent me a file (with google drive btw, rather unprofessional)

The new Bios has rendered my GPU unusable, it stutters constantly and performs badly. The file they gave me seems to be a much earlier version or for a different card entirely.

I can't find the old bios file and have no idea how to update it, the BIOS "updater" says the same thing even when its not the same version number. 

3 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

I was having some trouble with my 3070 "BIOS updater" on their website.

why did you even want to update?

4 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

It stated that the BIOS didn't need to be update.

then why did you not listen?

every good guide on bios flashing tells you to save the old bios first.

"long story short" doesnt really tell us much, you might have fucked up and given the support wrong hardware information or the support fucked up

you can ask around forums and provide the most accurate details of your card, maybe someone can get you the original bios

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

22 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Are you sure it was Palit?

If it was really Palit I think they'd use a different hosting method than Google Drive for an entire BIOS, even if it was beta, usually those kind of companies self-host betas on unlisted or unlinked directories on their own website, not a Google Drive, I think you might have fallen for a scam

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

31 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Are you sure it was Palit?

Yeah, I contacted the official palit support email support@palit.com

That's the email I received the file from is support@plait.biz and that's where they asked fore the SN ETC

33 minutes ago, Neftex said:

why did you even want to update?

then why did you not listen?

every good guide on bios flashing tells you to save the old bios first.

"long story short" doesnt really tell us much, you might have fucked up and given the support wrong hardware information or the support fucked up

you can ask around forums and provide the most accurate details of your card, maybe someone can get you the original bios

Because I was having issues with the cards power and hardware.

I'm not getting a file off some forum

25 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

If it was really Palit I think they'd use a different hosting method than Google Drive for an entire BIOS, even if it was beta, usually those kind of companies self-host betas on unlisted or unlinked directories on their own website, not a Google Drive, I think you might have fallen for a scam

I contacted the official palit support email support@palit.com

That's the email I received the file from is support@palit.biz and that's where they asked fore the SN ETC.

How can it be a scam, its on their website listed.

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

You got scammed.

You sent an email to support@palit.com.

You got an email from support@plait.biz.

Notice a difference?

Why would anyone go to the trouble of giving a DOS updater from BIOS that updated my bios file to scam me.

You don't send emails to the correct location to receive emails back from another. 

Also sorry that was a typo support@palit.biz not Plait

3 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

Because I was having issues with the cards power and hardware.

I'm not getting a file off some forum

fine, then why are you here

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Just now, johndole25 said:

Why would anyone go to the trouble of giving a DOS updater from BIOS that updated my bios file to scam me.

No idea. People do weird stuff.

Just now, johndole25 said:

You don't send emails to the correct location to receive emails back from another. 

For all you know, your network could be compromised.

elephants

So......

Does someone want to recover this card or what? 

57 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

I can't find the old bios file and have no idea how to update it, the BIOS updater" says the same thing even when its not the same version number.

Find your BIOS here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=Palit&model=RTX+3070&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Flash with nvflash: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/

The flash process hasn't changed much from Kepler to Ampere so here's a guide: https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/how_to_flash_rtx_bios/

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

You beat me to it my friend! lol

11 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Thanks very much

Going to the BIOS on their page.

My previous BIOS number (before PALIT support) was 

-94.04.25.00.9B 

This doesn't seem to match the one on their page. 

--94.04.25.80.1C

This is the BIOS version Palit gave me (that was installed with their "file")

---94.04.3A.00.88

So should I go ahead?

I also noticed on the VGA bios collection that when clicking on the "gaming pro" which is mine. It actually links the Gamerock?

2 minutes ago, johndole25 said:

94.04.25.00.9B

94.04.3A.00.88

Both of these exist in the "unverified uploads" section of TPU. That doesn't mean they are "fake" but I wouldn't flash them since your trying to restore your GPU back to normal.

https://i.gyazo.com/00cab39a9c7e174149d3bd1281964d2e.png

94.04.25.80.1C

This however, is verified. So I'd flash it before the other two.

Technically you can flash whatever BIOS you want as long as it matches the same power connector count. But that's a topic for another day.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

14 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Both of these exist in the "unverified uploads" section of TPU. That doesn't mean they are "fake" but I wouldn't flash them since your trying to restore your GPU back to normal.

https://i.gyazo.com/00cab39a9c7e174149d3bd1281964d2e.png

This however, is verified. So I'd flash it before the other two.

Technically you can flash whatever BIOS you want as long as it matches the same power connector count. But that's a topic for another day.

Thankyou I'll give it a go.

Not sure if you saw my edit. When I go the verified Bios you mention it takes me to a picture of the Gamerock. Is that mistake or am I safe to flash? As I have the "Gaming pro" 

1 minute ago, johndole25 said:

Not sure if you saw my edit. When I go the verified Bios you mention it takes me to a picture of the Gamerock. Is that mistake or am I safe to flash? As I'm the "Gaming pro" 

It's probably just an error on TPU's part.

Even if you did flash the GameRock/OC BIOS it should be fine because the power connector layout matches. And the device IDs match so that's good.

22 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

It's probably just an error on TPU's part.

Even if you did flash the GameRock/OC BIOS it should be fine because the power connector layout matches. And the device IDs match so that's good.

Hey so I flashed the card,

Now when I am in Thundermaster it tells me the card is a 2080Super?

The Flash bios ID was the same in the CMD.

Should I be worried?

image.png.fcfd06cd9da3e4ed034d933b94348d79.png

EDIT: I reinstalled Thundermaster and it is now showing this. why was it showing the 2080 super before I re-installed, very odd?

image.png

1 hour ago, johndole25 said:

Go through your process of what you done exactly.

Process should have been:

• Acquire nvflash from tech power up
  • Acquire BIOS file from tech power up
  • Follow the guide and adapt to your GPU

If the guide tells you to flash a 2000 series rom then don't do it. Use the file you got off tech power up for YOUR GPU. Adapt the guide to your needs.

That vBIOS on the card doesn't appear to match any of the RTX 3070 files.

Also, what does GPU-Z say? Don't rely on vendor supplied OC software.

To narrow down a bios file. 

The card is either GameRock / Gamerock OC/ Gaming Pro/ Gaming Pro OC/ or Jetstream OC (model) From the one's that have been uploaded.

If you're not sure, look on the box maybe? Or the manual that came with the card.

2 hours ago, johndole25 said:

Now when I am in Thundermaster it tells me the card is a 2080Super?

The Flash bios ID was the same in the CMD.

Should I be worried?

image.png.fcfd06cd9da3e4ed034d933b94348d79.png

EDIT: I reinstalled Thundermaster and it is now showing this. why was it showing the 2080 super before I re-installed, very odd?

image.png

You need to power off and reboot after flashing a bios, not run thundermaster beforehand.

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Go through your process of what you done exactly.

Process should have been:

• Acquire nvflash from tech power up
  • Acquire BIOS file from tech power up
  • Follow the guide and adapt to your GPU

If the guide tells you to flash a 2000 series rom then don't do it. Use the file you got off tech power up for YOUR GPU. Adapt the guide to your needs.

That vBIOS on the card doesn't appear to match any of the RTX 3070 files.

Also, what does GPU-Z say? Don't rely on vendor supplied OC software.

Yeah that's what threw me off,

The software said it was a 2080 super but after re-install it displayed the correct bios. GPU-z gives me the correct bios.

The Thundermaster must have bugged out, my only question is whether or not it applied 2080 super settings to my 3070 in that time

BTW, the card seems fine now, thankyou!