Will the Tariff's affect canada too?

Kazlehoff

Saw the note about the tariffs going back into effect at the beginning of January on TechLinked. those are US tariffs but will they affect Canada as well?

What is tariffs

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

idk bout canada but my country base their price on how much things cost in US + our own "tax" (in quotation because im pretty sure it's just BS reason for markup)

so yea it might affect you as well

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

10 minutes ago, Kanna said:

What is tariffs

The US imposed tariffs(tax) on goods coming from China, like electronics, hardware and what not.

Short answer : very likely, yes.

Long answer : We don't know for certain, if manufacturers cared about Canadian customers, they would export their stuff from China to Vancouver first and then move that stock to the US.

But it is unlikely that they would do that. As such, stocks will still go through the US, they will put the extra charge on the back of consumers and in the end, they lose nothing and we pay more for anything that went in the US first... Because that's what tariffs do. It doesn't encourage local spending, it doesn't make "China pay"... It just means we pay more for our stuff now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It might. But, to be quite honest, I really don't mind paying a slight premium if it helps diversify the supply chain away from a dictatorship.

12 minutes ago, 514_AppleGuy said:

It might. But, to be quite honest, I really don't mind paying a slight premium if it helps diversify the supply chain away from a dictatorship.

That would be nice but I'm not sure how that works when almost all the wafer fabs are almost all in China. From a quick search it appears that all of TSMCs fabs (they manufacter AMD) are in China and all but one of Samsungs 7 fabs are in China (they make nvidia 3000) but the one Samsung fab that isnt in China is in Texas but I dont think they even make the rtx 3000 because their website only lists 14nm as their smallest process and rtx 3000 is 8nm. As for intel 4 of their 10 fab locations are in the US

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

45 minutes ago, cm992 said:

That would be nice but I'm not sure how that works when almost all the wafer fabs are almost all in China. From a quick search it appears that all of TSMCs fabs (they manufacter AMD) are in China and all but one of Samsungs 7 fabs are in China (they make nvidia 3000) but the one Samsung fab that isnt in China is in Texas but I dont think they even make the rtx 3000 because their website only lists 14nm as their smallest process and rtx 3000 is 8nm. As for intel 4 of their 10 fab locations are in the US

TSMC is opening a Manufacturing Facility in Phoenix Arizona. No Idea how long before they'll be up and running or what they'll even be manufacturing. 

57 minutes ago, cm992 said:

That's a half-truth at best. Most of TSMC's fabs are in Taiwan (an independent country), and not China. Almost 100% of all GPUs from both AMD and NVIDIA are made in Taiwan, which is *not* included in the China tariffs. 

The reason why prices might still increase is because physical assembly of the graphics card itself is done in China. It really has nothing to do with chip fabs.

4 hours ago, Kazlehoff said:

Saw the note about the tariffs going back into effect at the beginning of January on TechLinked. those are US tariffs but will they affect Canada as well?

Likely, but if that is true it might be time to open up production facilities here in North America for computer parts

54 minutes ago, glimmingdjghost said:

Likely, but if that is true it might be time to open up production facilities here in North America for computer parts

Yeah because these companies are are going to pay that kind of labor cost. Thats the reason they build them all in China, because labor is cheaper than in North America. Plus building production facilities take time, it wont solve the issue until those facilities are built and there is a possibly that the tariffs could go away by then. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

The US imposed tariffs(tax) on goods coming from China, like electronics, hardware and what not.

Short answer : very likely, yes.

Long answer : We don't know for certain, if manufacturers cared about Canadian customers, they would export their stuff from China to Vancouver first and then move that stock to the US.

But it is unlikely that they would do that. As such, stocks will still go through the US, they will put the extra charge on the back of consumers and in the end, they lose nothing and we pay more for anything that went in the US first... Because that's what tariffs do. It doesn't encourage local spending, it doesn't make "China pay"... It just means we pay more for our stuff now.

I'd say it's more on the retailer than the manufacturer. The manufacturer will ship where ever you want. It's the retailer that decides how that happens. It's very likely that the cost of shipping small shipments direct to Canada didn't make sense before, where it might now.

As for making China pay, it really depends on the product. In this instance, it doesn't really make sense, but tariffs do work if there's a similar product produced domestically. It'll be interesting to see what the new leadership does; maybe we'll see a change.

5 hours ago, 514_AppleGuy said:

It doesn't really work like that. You'd need so much more than just simple tariffs to have that come to fruition, and it'd cost significantly more than it does now. Capital costs are a very real part of the puzzle.

4 hours ago, cm992 said:

They're made in Taiwan, not China.

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah because these companies are are going to pay that kind of labor cost. Thats the reason they build them all in China, because labor is cheaper than in North America. Plus building production facilities take time, it wont solve the issue until those facilities are built and there is a possibly that the tariffs could go away by then. 

I mean...most things are so automated now that it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. A more likely course of action though is to open up manufacturing in India, where the wage is about 1/3 of what it is in China. Plus you have the advantage of opening business in a country with the second most English speaking population.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I mean...most things are so automated now that it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

You have to buy land. Build a facility. I can tell you from personal experience that building materials in the US especially have gone up in price. You still need techs to maintain the robots and other things. You still need admin staff, etc. Even if they build it in Canada or Mexico it's likely the labor costs will still be too high. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You have to buy land. Build a facility. I can tell you from personal experience that building materials in the US especially have gone up in price. You still need techs to maintain the robots and other things. You still need admin staff, etc. Even if they build it in Canada or Mexico it's likely the labor costs will still be too high. 

Depends on how the administration looks at it; they might see having more and more production on US soil and not in the hands of other nations to be worth some added cost, possible tax breaks, etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They're made in Taiwan, not China.

Then why are all the prices increasing because of the tariffs?

4 hours ago, 514_AppleGuy said:

That's a half-truth at best. Most of TSMC's fabs are in Taiwan (an independent country), and not China. Almost 100% of all GPUs from both AMD and NVIDIA are made in Taiwan, which is *not* included in the China tariffs. 

The reason why prices might still increase is because physical assembly of the graphics card itself is done in China. It really has nothing to do with chip fabs.

Well if the wafer fabs are in Taiwan but they send them to China for final assembly and the products get affected by the tariff anyway I don't see how that changes anything

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

3 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Well if the wafer fabs are in Taiwan but they send them to China for final assembly and the products get affected by the tariff anyway I don't see how that changes anything

I wasn't referring to completed products, I was referring to your wafer fab comment. Which you now state yourself are in Taiwan.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Depends on how the administration looks at it; they might see having more and more production on US soil and not in the hands of other nations to be worth some added cost, possible tax breaks, etc.

American's dont work for peanuts. We expect a fair wage, benefits like Health Insurance, Retirement, vacation time, etc. You add all that up and its not a nice number. If they low ball wages and benefits they will be in the same boat as Mc Donalds, Walmart, Amazon, etc. Where they cant find reliable help. Regardless the companies are getting tax breaks. They pay up with the right people. Im sure the cost of the tariffs is still lower than the cost of US/Canadian/Mexican labor. 

Then the fact is still that no one knows how long the tariffs are going to be in for. We dont know what the next administration will do. Plus like I said, it takes time to build new factories. Land is not cheap necessarily. Building materials are not cheap. Its a large investment. Keep in mind TSMC is building a new FAB and it was slated to take like 2 years. Thats a long fucking time to be waiting, and on top of the market is in a state of uncertainty. Some experts have predicted the US economy will take a hit starting in April. If that happens consumer spending will likely decrease, making increases of production a bad move. 

5 hours ago, Kanna said:

What is tariffs

Basically an import tax.

4 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Other components like a GPU fan are made in factories in China, companies would rather pass that cost onto the consumer.

I noticed a tech news article mentioning the tarrifs causing Asus to raise their GPU prices, although Asus already has some of the most expensive Nvidia 3000 series GPUs, like a 3070 being way over MSRP its the price that the 3080 at MSRP would sell for.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I noticed a tech news article mentioning the tarrifs causing Asus to raise their GPU prices, although Asus already has some of the most expensive Nvidia 3000 series GPUs, like a 3070 being way over MSRP its the price that the 3080 at MSRP would sell for.

Talking about board-partner pricing and MSRP in same sentence is nonsense. When product goes to stores, or to end user, Asus already is manufacturer themselves. They aren't in any way bound to what Nvidia sets as their MSRP (you saying that indicates you don't understand the meaning of the acronym either). Asus pays licensing of board design, like most others. Some smaller board partners might get same reference board as what FE cards use, but bigger ones like Asus, MSI and Gigabyte make their own. Adding with firmware and cooler design, these are are Nvidia cards only because of technology used.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sorry to pull up a post with no new posts for almost a week, but i talked to some friends who still work at my local computer store (Canada Computers. im a former employee too) and they let me know a couple things:

1: GPU's have already gone through one price increase (Two for staff. Price 0 (employee price) was bumped up to retail price, so no discount, because an employee was buying GPUs and scalping them. technically should be fired for it, b/c employee contract says Employee purchases have to be for the employee, not others, and not for resale, but no one knows if they really were fired.)

2: Stock for Asus GPU's may already be becoming problematic. head office had ordered the TUF 3060Ti from Asus, but had yet to even receive any, and the Asus GPU's were the ones with the longest pre-order queues. the store i went to did have a TuF 3070, but apparently same issue, they had received one batch, and now head office was waiting for another batch.

I ended up just going for it when my store said they had a couple of Gigabyte 3060Ti Pro OC Gaming models in stock (Part #: GV-N306TGAMINGOC PRO-8GD) and I'm satisfied with it. paid $723.19 after taxes ($639.99 pre-tax). imho if you are looking for a GPU right now, in Canada, i would just get what's available (unless it's one of the Non OC Zotac, an MSI Ventus, or a 'high end' (aka: Gamer and RGB Tax) 3060Ti. Like Seriously, why do the Asus Strix, Gigabyte Auros Master, EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming and MSI Gaming X Trio models exist in 3060 Ti variants. the EVGA and Gigabyte Aurous models currently cost more than a Gigabyte 3070 Eagle, and the Asus and MSI cards are only $10 less than a 3070. Waste of money, imo.

If you are trying to locate a 30 series card, And live near a Canada Computers, what i found to be best is this.

Go to the CC website. Browse to the Video card section. (shop products/computer components/video cards/desktop graphics cards). select the models in your budget. dont select anything to do with brand or anything else. just the models. sort by price. when the page reloads with your filters in place, scroll all the way to the bottom to ensure everything is loaded, then find on page (Ctrl F) "Available In". this will highlight all instances of the phrase "Available in stores" allowing you to filter out the "In Store Back-Order" entries.

Open each card available in stores in a new tab. go through those tabs, clicking on the Availability box to see what stores have the product available. once you locate one that's near your address, go to the store and buy. its not a guarantee because others will do the same, so dont be mad if they sell it before u get there, but this helped me track down a card within a couple days, for retail pricing.

i hope my experience here helped others. :)