Browser preference and why?

Max746

Preferred browser (doing a little survey)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• PC - Firefox
    • PC - Chrome
    • PC - Edge
    • PC - Tor
    • PC - Other
    • Mac - Firefox
    • Mac - Chrome
    • Mac - Safari
    • Mac - Other

I took some criticism from my friends for using safari on my computer rather than Chrome or Firefox. 

I don't have a Mac but had to click something to vote. So I picked Chrome there aswell.

I only use Chrome because it makes things easy within the Google ecosystem.

You really ought to turn off the poll options being required, as people tend to choose one of a PC or a Mac, and not own both.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You really ought to turn off the poll options being required, as people tend to choose one of a PC or a Mac, and not own both.

sorry im still pretty recent with the forums. not sure how it works 😅

3 minutes ago, Max746 said:

sorry im still pretty recent with the forums. not sure how it works 😅

You're quite right; the required question option seems to have vanished! Not sure what that's about.

Maybe you could add an option saying "I don't have a Mac" and "I don't have a PC" instead?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Firefox. Completely add free internet with ublock origin even avoiding the slip in google adds on chromium based browsers. Also it's lighter on the computer which is a nice to have.

Chrome on both (plus mobile). Works quite well and fastest in my opinion.

Just now, jaslion said:

avoiding the slip in google adds on chromium based browsers

Could you elaborate please? I've never encountered this in Chrome with uBlock Origin.

🙂

@Max746fixed your poll for you. Also, I added edge.... there are edge users here.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I switch to firefox because it broke on my laptop and I actually prefer faster for me and it's much easier for me

if you want a good comic series here is a recommendation

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/internet-explorer/ep-1-install-google-chrome/viewer?title_no=219164&episode_no=1

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Chrome on both (plus mobile). Works quite well and fastest in my opinion.

Could you elaborate please? I've never encountered this in Chrome with uBlock Origin.

Google often circumvents adds in ways on their chrome browser as it hates adblockers (they tried to remove them from chrome before a couple times but the backlash was huge and they decided to not do it yet). Ublock tends to circumvent the ads that google gets past normal adblockers but there are often holes that they do get through. Plenty of people experience have experienced this often.

Also pretty nice bonus but firefox doesn't sell your data they are just a non profit actually acting like one

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@Max746fixed your poll for you. Also, I added edge.... there are edge users here.

Thanks! Gotta love the mods

Firefox. I got tired of chrome and it being such a memory hog. with just a few tabs open FF is worse but once you hit the 20-60 tabs at a time that I often have open its so much better

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Started on Internet Exploder in the late '90s...lived with it til it became a disappointment then switched to Firefox in the '10...then came 2017 and the transition to Chrome...easy sync across devices including my iPhone! Just works and with the amount of RAM I equip my PCs with...not too worried about how much it may or may not use.

I think you mean Windows vs Mac. Not PC vs Mac. PC is not an operating system, it just stands for personal computer. If you own your Macbook Air, then it's a PC.

Just came here to say that. It really grinds my gears.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I think you mean Windows vs Mac. Not PC vs Mac. PC is not an operating system, it just stands for personal computer. If you own your Macbook Air, then it's a PC.

An oral history of 'Get a Mac,' Part 1 | Campaign US

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I would argue that you are wrong.

The reason PCs are called PCs is because that is what IBM called theirs. IBM PCs and PC-compatibles had their main competitor as Apple Macs. Macs were not PCs. Apple has never called Macs PCs, because that's what their main competitor was called for the longest time.

Plus a PC can run any operating system. Doesn't have to be Windows. It just has to not be Mac OS.

pythonmegapixel

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

The reason PCs are called PCs is because that is what IBM called theirs. IBM PCs and PC-compatibles had their main competitor as Apple Macs. Macs were not PCs. Apple has never called Macs PCs, because that's what their main competitor was called for the longest time.

Plus a PC can run any operating system. Doesn't have to be Windows. It just has to not be Mac OS.

Mac has insistently called their competition "PC." There's nothing personal about Apple products. You use it their way and that's it.

#Muricaparrotgang

13 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

11 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Mac has insistently called their competition "PC." There's nothing personal about Apple products. You use it their way and that's it.

This always comes up when I make my argument. PC stands for personal computer, a Mac is still a PC regardless of marketing. It just pisses me off to no end when people use the term that way. It's the same thing when people refer to an engine as a "motor" a motor is powered by electricity of some kind, where an engine is powered by something combustible. I hate the way things are perceived mostly, it's just wrong to me.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

This always comes up when I make my argument. PC stands for personal computer, a Mac is still a PC regardless of marketing. It just pisses me off to no end when people use the term that way.

By that logic:

IBM stands for International Business Machines.

Toshiba is another international company which sells machines intended for use by businesses.

Therefore, Toshiba is IBM.

??

pythonmegapixel

I use Firefox because it's opensource, very performant with WebRender enabled, and the best browser to natively support Wayland.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

image.thumb.png.50555fa37324ef41c31ac669877f2e8c.png

I'm using Edge because it works for me and during the pre-chromium days, I did find the Set Aside feature rather useful when researching for term papers. Sometimes I just want to put things on the back burner on a while and come back with a more open mind. I know Microsoft introduced collections in the current version of Edge; but for me, it's not an acceptable replacement. Being able to stash all of my current tabs aside for later is much more useful than having to go to each individual tab and add them to a collection. To me, that's no different than settings favorites where I would have to perform multiple clicks to open them all back up again at a later time. With Set Aside, I basically was stashing my entire session away for later.

When I do use macOS, I just stick to Safari. I haven't used it long enough to find any major annoyances so it just works well for me. 

Prior to Chromium Edge, I did have Google Chrome installed as well just because back in the Windows 8 and earlier days, IE was well... IE. And in the pre-chromium Edge days, Google was actively making YouTube un-usable on Edge and to some degree, Firefox as well. Web elements took seconds to load and video playback was jerky and unresponsive. Thankfully these issues are no longer present in the Chromium version of Edge so neither my laptop or desktop now have Chrome installed.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

17 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

By that logic:

IBM stands for International Business Machines.

Toshiba is another international company which sells machines intended for use by businesses.

Therefore, Toshiba is IBM.

??

No you're just twisting it. It's not complex like that, it's not an iceberg. It's simple, PC stands for personal computer and isn't meant to reference any-one particular operating system - as is usually insinuated in most situations (this one included). That's all, that's it, it's done. I'm out. Peace.

Desktop: Firefox

Anything with touchscreen: Edge

I used to use brave on my desktop until I noticed it starting to hog resources. 

I've still yet to find a browser as smooth as Edge when it comes to touchscreen navigation. I wish they kept the old edge, because it actually performed better in this regard

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒