Browser preference and why?

Max746

Preferred browser (doing a little survey)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• PC - Firefox
    • PC - Chrome
    • PC - Edge
    • PC - Tor
    • PC - Other
    • Mac - Firefox
    • Mac - Chrome
    • Mac - Safari
    • Mac - Other

11 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Desktop: Firefox

Anything with touchscreen: Edge

I used to use brave on my desktop until I noticed it starting to hog resources. 

I've still yet to find a browser as smooth as Edge when it comes to touchscreen navigation. I wish they kept the old edge, because it actually performed better in this regard

Yea I didn't understand why they couldn't keep the UI and features of the original Edge while using the Blink and V8 engines. It just feels like... well Chrome now. I preferred the sharper corners on the old Edge. It also lost some of the Fluent design elements they were trying to make universal in Windows, an odd decision for sure. My tabs bar is just my system colour rather than being translucent like it was in the original Edge. 

How to enable dark mode in Windows 10, Office, and Microsoft Edge

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Chrome, to justify all of the ram I downloaded.  

Not an expert
Ryzen3600  | Aorus 5700XT  | Aorus B550 Elite 
Coolermaster ML240L AIO
G.Skill RipjawsV3600  | PNY XLR8 1TB NVMe 3.0
Westinghouse 3440x1440 ultrawide

Chrome because I'm not a hipster I tried Firefox and despised it. Also, being able to sync accounts, extensions, browser settings, etc between devices seamlessly is fucking awesome.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Firefox. Because it's open, free and not Chromium.

That said, the FF devs have been making a lot of stupid changes to FF lately, with some of them being so disruptive to my way of using a web browser that I've had to find ways to reverse them. When it got to the point where I had to spend many hours to a few days looking for "hacks" or solutions to the unwanted changes, I decided that enough was enough, and I blocked FF updates completely. So I will be using 83.0 forever...

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

I use Firefox, but I don't really like it; it's just the least bad of a lot of bad options. I'd love to see a stable, lightweight, and capable browser engine. Not just rebranded Chromium or Firefox, and not something horrible like Webkit. If Netsurf's JS support was fully functional, I'd switch to that immediately.

All of them siphon user data. I don't like any of them but use Firefox and Vivaldi.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

This always comes up when I make my argument. PC stands for personal computer, a Mac is still a PC regardless of marketing. It just pisses me off to no end when people use the term that way. It's the same thing when people refer to an engine as a "motor" a motor is powered by electricity of some kind, where an engine is powered by something combustible. I hate the way things are perceived mostly, it's just wrong to me.

Okay. It being perceived as wrong to you does not mean you are correct. A Mac is not a PC, despite what PC stands for. PC is a marketing term, one that Mac directly competed and advertised against.

People not knowing the difference between combustion engines and electric motors is not the same as conflating marketing terms when the companies involved in the marketing made the definitions and stated they are or aren't.

#Muricaparrotgang

I use chrome and firefox cuz on windows & chrome integrates well with google stuff & firefox is also a good browser.

edit:

I also like to use 2 browsers cuz windows 10 taskbar isn't good for multiple windows of single application switching like windows xp was.

2 clicks is 2 many.

3 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

I've been using chrome since I had some bugs/crashes with firefox a few years back and haven't bothered changing back 

Have you tried using Vivaldi at all? That's my daily at the moment, but I occasionally run into problems with it when managing my FreeNAS server. I also use Firefox when watching content on YouTube and Twitch.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Vivaldi. The true successor to Opera 12.

-Side panel with easily accessible bookmarks, notes and what not, instead of having to navigate a tiny ass menu in a corner of the screen. If you need more than one very quick click at any point in time to access your bookmarks, it's already too long.

-Mouse gestures, once you start using them, you can't live without them.

-built-in adblocker.

-Speed dial, none of that "most visited pages" crap that pretends to be a speeddial.

-It's Chromium, with better privacy than Chrome or Opera.

-Themes right out of the box, can be customized too.

-Still more lightweight than Chrome.

-Will have a built-in Mail client soon (already available if you enable it, but it's not on by default right now)

With Chrome and Firefox, I had to use dozens of extensions just to get the browser to work the way I wanted. With Vivaldi, I use 5. And 4 of them are website specifics, like BetterTTV or Youtube related (I still use uBlock, since it does have some extra functionality that Vivaldi doesn't give with their adblocker, but for the average person, it would be plenty).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I use Chrome for three (yep, not two) reasons:
1. Firefox is a bit annoying
2. Google Sync is really handy, because I have a specific bookmark layout that is built into muscle memory and I don't remember it
3. Ctrl+J

elephants

4 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

This always comes up when I make my argument. PC stands for personal computer, a Mac is still a PC regardless of marketing. It just pisses me off to no end when people use the term that way. It's the same thing when people refer to an engine as a "motor" a motor is powered by electricity of some kind, where an engine is powered by something combustible. I hate the way things are perceived mostly, it's just wrong to me.

A motor also includes engines.

Dictionary.com has this for their first definition of motor:

[A] comparatively small and power engine, especially an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

Especially since we have separate terms like "electric motor" rather than just motor, implying you can have different kinds powered by different energy sources. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

14 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Okay. It being perceived as wrong to you does not mean you are correct. A Mac is not a PC, despite what PC stands for. PC is a marketing term, one that Mac directly competed and advertised against.

People not knowing the difference between combustion engines and electric motors is not the same as conflating marketing terms when the companies involved in the marketing made the definitions and stated they are or aren't.

If you strip away all the marketing, Macs are a type of PC. Plain and simple. "Personal Computer" is a generic term that Macs fall under. 

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Vivaldi. The true successor to Opera 12.

-Side panel with easily accessible bookmarks, notes and what not, instead of having to navigate a tiny ass menu in a corner of the screen. If you need more than one very quick click, at any point in time to access your bookmarks, it's already too long.

-Mouse gestures, once you start using them, you can't live without them.

-built-in adblocker.

-Speed dial, none of that "most visited pages" crap.

-Chromium, with better privacy than Chrome or Opera.

-Themes

-Still more lightweight than Chrome.

-Will have a built-in Mail client soon (already available if you enable it, but it's not on by default right now)

Web Panels are pretty nifty to use as well. It's useful on my FreeNAS server when monitoring its stats using netdata. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Web Panels are pretty nifty to use as well. It's useful on my FreeNAS server when monitoring its stats using netdata. 

That too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've typically been an alternate browser user given that they've generally had more/unique features that the main ones didn't have. Once most of them died, I've been with Chrome for a long time as Google services are convenient and I use several of them; that and Firefox for a long time has been slower, and unintuitive versus the old days.

Recently though, I've been testing out Vivaldi as they have a richer feature-set than most other browsers, and have a lot more in common with browsers I used to use; for instance, they've recently added a mail client, feed reader and calendar, which are part of old browsers I daily drove in the past. It's not that groundbreaking these days as mail, feed reader and calendar are all quick to arrive at through other means, it's just a nice integration on top of all of the other features and customization the browser has. 

I'm not completely sold on it just yet, but it's been fairly promising so far.

4 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

No you're just twisting it. It's not complex like that, it's not an iceberg. It's simple, PC stands for personal computer and isn't meant to reference any-one particular operating system - as is usually insinuated in most situations (this one included). That's all, that's it, it's done. I'm out. Peace.

pc is widely known for windows, linux, etc. but mac =/= reffered to as pc. Go to any ltt video, any gn video, any other tech video, they call a apple computer a Mac and everything else a PC. Just because something stands for something, doesn't mean thats how its used.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

pc is widely known for windows, linux, etc. but mac =/= reffered to as pc. Go to any ltt video, any gn video, any other tech video, they call a apple computer a Mac and everything else a PC. Just because something stands for something, doesn't mean thats how its used.

In a way, both sides are correct. If you consider the marketing behind the terms, Macs aren't PCs. Although, I think the PC term is predominantly used for computers running Windows. Many people have no idea what Linux, Unix, or FreeBSD are. 

Chrome on my MacBook(late 2013 13inch). and I switched from Safari due to having YouTube playback bugs at one point, and my MacBook is basically a YouTube device these days.

Windows, I use Opera. I switched to Opera from Sleipnir when it went to I think version 5? I didn't like the interface changes. big thing for me when I started was not asking "are you sure you want to open xx tabs at once?" when I'm checking web comics. sadly, seem like all browsers do that now.... and while I've tried switching away. Gave the new chromium edge an honest try, I didn't like it, and am a creature of habit. and Opera works for me.

Edge with AdGuard Extension (Used to be apart of the browser wars before edge, but edge is decent, can't complain.)

8 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Seamonkey because it's what Firefox used to be before the bloating, most browsers are bloated with features or things that are useless to me, I don't want to use sync services, save websites for later or "send across devices", I only have 1 device.

looks out of the early 2000's but works just fine and somehow the devs manage to keep it compatible with the latest Windows 10 versions

I kinda wish you could install browsers with only the bare essentials, and then add certain features as optional components. In fact, more programs should be like that.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Have you tried using Vivaldi at all? That's my daily at the moment, but I occasionally run into problems with it when managing my FreeNAS server. I also use Firefox when watching content on YouTube and Twitch.

Chrome works for me atm, no point fucking around with another piece of software 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

Chrome works for me atm, no point fucking around with another piece of software 

Fair enough. I know that feeling.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Seamonkey because it's what Firefox used to be before the bloating, most browsers are bloated with features or things that are useless to me, I don't want to use sync services, save websites for later or "send across devices", I only have 1 device.

looks out of the early 2000's but works just fine and somehow the devs manage to keep it compatible with the latest Windows 10 versions

I was just playing with Seamonkey this morning. It's a nice browser, and it's what  I wish Firefox still was. If I didn't need specific extensions for work, I'd consider using it full time.