Browser preference and why?

Max746

Preferred browser (doing a little survey)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• PC - Firefox
    • PC - Chrome
    • PC - Edge
    • PC - Tor
    • PC - Other
    • Mac - Firefox
    • Mac - Chrome
    • Mac - Safari
    • Mac - Other

Safari on my Arm Mac, as there is a noticeable improvement with using it versus other browsers, especially Chrome with regards to battery life. Got Edge's Canary build sitting there just so I have a Chromium based browser on hand. 

On my PCs I've wholly switched over to Edge. 

Vivaldi

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Chrome for PC. I did use the newer Edge and it was cool, but got a lot of video stutters on Twitch. So went back to Chrome.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Chrome on PC because lazy and complacent. Any browser would work nowadays. And I guess Chromecast is nice, roughly twice a year. I would only switch when a browser has significant advantages at this point, this isn't like it was back in 2009 when Firefox, Opera, Chrome were battling it out.

Safari on Mac for development reasons

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

8 hours ago, fpo said:

I also like to use 2 browsers cuz windows 10 taskbar isn't good for multiple windows of single application switching like windows xp was.

2 clicks is 2 many.

Well switch off that behaviour in the settings then? There's an option in the taskbar settings for something like "Group multiple windows of one application"; then you can get rid of Chrome or something and just run one browser.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Personally, I use chrome. I don't have a great system per se, but it works nevertheless. Also, some web apps like skype work only in chrome. I'm sure there a lot of other examples as well.

In the future, if safari can support those web apps, I might consider a change (emphasis on might)

Personally, I hate Chrome and I mean that literaly , I have an intense burning dislike of Chrome. I use Firefox 'cause I lke it and it's opensource and It's Privacy oriented with being too overbearing about it. If there's a website that need a chromium based browser, I'd use Microsft's new Edge browser. It's much faster and far more memory efficient. BTW, I'm running edge on a Hackmac, so it would be nice to include egde for mac and WHAT ABOUT LINUX USERS?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

3 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Well switch off that behaviour in the settings then? There's an option in the taskbar settings for something like "Group multiple windows of one application"; then you can get rid of Chrome or something and just run one browser.

I didn't know you could do that maybe next life I'll do it. My pc is already setup

15 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you strip away all the marketing, Macs are a type of PC. Plain and simple. "Personal Computer" is a generic term that Macs fall under. 

Right, and dolby atmos soundbars will rival actual surround systems.

#Muricaparrotgang

I use the new Edge web browser. No point or advantage in using Chrome. Its is lighter on resources and overall better. Its like Chrome but actually polished, so it's now all shiny.

Not to mention it has the required DRM and codec to enjoy Netflix 4K with HDR support, and has more privacy controls. Including the fact that Incognito mode is actually Incognito, some Google refuses to do (Tracks everything)

On 1/3/2021 at 3:32 AM, nbrowser said:

Started on Internet Exploder in the late '90s...lived with it til it became a disappointment then switched to Firefox in the '10...then came 2017 and the transition to Chrome...easy sync across devices including my iPhone! Just works and with the amount of RAM I equip my PCs with...not too worried about how much it may or may not use.

Just wanted to say Firefox also has sync (extension, tabs etc). But I do get switching to chrome cause of the jsengine. Just don't want to fight with them on privacy front anymore x-x

On 1/3/2021 at 4:44 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

Chrome because I'm not a hipster I tried Firefox and despised it. Also, being able to sync accounts, extensions, browser settings, etc between devices seamlessly is fucking awesome.

You do know Firefox has sync right?(also enable hardware acceleration)

On 1/3/2021 at 8:07 AM, ragnarok0273 said:

I use Chrome for three (yep, not two) reasons:
1. Firefox is a bit annoying
2. Google Sync is really handy, because I have a specific bookmark layout that is built into muscle memory and I don't remember it
3. Ctrl+J

1. Yeah the default is problematic, needs to be more clean with acceleration on

2. FF has sync ya know

3. Both has it don't they?

On 1/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, Caroline said:

apparently Firefox has added a VPN now stating that it will "help your privacy" and the rest of cheap privacyology mumbo jumbo they preach. A VPN is absolutely useless for privacy if you still use facebook, google search, buy on amazon or listen to music through an spotify subscription, it makes no sense.

Firefox hasn't added a VPN in their browser. They do have their own VPN service, with a separate app that you can download for Windows, IOS and Android and it's 4.99$ pm.

18 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Nope.

Works for me though, and Ctrl+Shift+O on linux

Been using Chrome for years but now I'm starting to move to Linux so I've returned to Firefox.