RX 6000 and RTX 3000 Series Shortages Partly Caused by GDDR6 Shortage, Supply Unlikely to Return to Normal Until Feb.

Random_Person1234

Summary

According to French website Cowcotland, there is currently a shortage of GDDR6 video memory. This is impacting the supply of the RX 6000 series, which exclusively uses GDDR6, and the RTX 3070 and 3060 Ti, which also use GDDR6. The supply of these cards will not improve until February due to this, according to Cowcotland. The RTX 3080 and 3090 should be less impacted since they use GDDR6X.

Quotes

From Google Translate:

Still according to our sources, it will take weeks for the situation to return to normal, which means that the availability of all models will not improve until February, even blocking the release of some models (such as the 6900XT Custom) and this is therefore in line with what we were already announcing in this news: New generation NVIDIA RTX 3000 and AMD RX 6000 graphics cards: Recommended public prices that would be impossible to keep? , where we mentioned a return to normal in Q2-2020.

NVIDIA's RTX 3080 and 3090 should be less impacted by this problem because they use GDDR6X; moreover, the RTX 3090 has been available for sale several times during the last two weeks, on the other hand, for the RTX 3080 we have seen very few.

My thoughts

This launch seems to be the perfect storm to create this big supply problem: global pandemic, shortages of wafers, substrates, components, and VRAM, etc.. I'm disappointed that I'm most likely going to need to wait until February to buy a 3070, but it's not life or death, so I'll live with it.

Sources

https://www.cowcotland.com/news/74449/absence-de-cartes-graphiques-amd-rx-5000-6000-nvidia-gtx-1000-rtx-2000-et-rtx-3060-ti-et-3070-la-penurie-globale-de-gddr6-en-cause.html

https://videocardz.com/newz/radeon-rx-6000-geforce-rtx-3070-3060ti-supply-issues-also-caused-by-gddr6-memory-shortage

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

imagine everyone is just running out of food, clothes, toilet paper, water etc. and then Nvidia and AMD are just like, "yo we ran out of vram" SMH

Kinda wish it was a toilet paper shortage rather than this. I mean, I can use a fuckin leaf in it's place. Can't say the same for a GPU.

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Kinda wish it was a toilet paper shortage rather than this. I mean, I can use a fuckin leaf in it's place. Can't say the same for a GPU.

I can say the same

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Pen and paper, start drawing frames!

Also I don't get the shortages, I literally just walked into a store and walked out with 2 gpus, maybe the western just have that much more money to splurge on PC?

Sure they aren't abundant, but they're on shelves for where I'm at, at least

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I never though about the memory being the culprit of shortages but it makes sense, i though it was more of a problem of TSMC being overloaded but Apple doesn't have any kind of supply shortages, also all of these products and the consoles run on this memory and all of them are undersupplied to the market. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

57 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

just make sure to use a GPU with a back plate. the old school nakid PCB video cards will tear you several new ones... or at least go fan side up. 

There needs to be more silicon fabs across the world. There are clearly not enough to meet market demands... 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Jokes on you we've got Toilets from Geberit where you can clean your Butt with Water.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

MSI is having a lot of problems this year. From scalping their own cards, to their CEO (or someone high up, I don't remember completely) dying, and now this.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

12 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There is always something you can use in place of a GPU:

Spoiler

image.jpeg.67c025ea4b15b1522ae29691f938a4aa.jpeg

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The why doesn’t really matter. All I know is that I won’t be playing any games for the next several months because I can’t get a GPU or a console. Really wanted to play Cyberpunk 2077.

I guess I'll have to hold off buying and playing Cyberpunk 2077 till spring 2021. Coz there is no way I'm gonna play this game without ray freaking tracing.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I guess I'll have to hold off buying and playing Cyberpunk 2077 till spring 2021. Coz there is no way I'm gonna play this game without ray freaking tracing.

eww, someone actually using raytracing ;..; you heathen.

At least if you wait to play cyberbug 2077 it may actually be a fully functional game. And hopefully pricies dont remain crazy but knowing this kind of thing its not gonna go down for a while.

22 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

eww, someone actually using raytracing ;..; you heathen.

At least if you wait to play cyberbug 2077 it may actually be a fully functional game. And hopefully pricies dont remain crazy but knowing this kind of thing its not gonna go down for a while.

I don't mind the price if game is complex like this and we know they'll put more work into it and not like EA that dumps the game entirely after 3 months post release. As for ray tracing, yeah, if I'm gonna play state of the art game I want to do it everything maxed out. Especially since it's a slow paced game full of exploration. Don't care about RT in Battlefield V or something, but here I do.

21 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Jokes on you we've got Toilets from Geberit where you can clean your Butt with Water.

jokes on you i bought a bidet so i can clean my butt with water

On 12/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, Moonzy said:

Pen and paper, start drawing frames!

Also I don't get the shortages, I literally just walked into a store and walked out with 2 gpus, maybe the western just have that much more money to splurge on PC?

Sure they aren't abundant, but they're on shelves for where I'm at, at least

*FakeNSA would like to know your location*

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!