Imagine getting 0wn3d by a kid - Youngest Esport gamer signed to play fortnite

williamcll
13 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

33 grand is nuts. Not that he will see any of it.

I think it’s great. Even if this only lasts a year or two, if that money goes straight into an investment and they just forget about it for a long time that is a huge safety net. Might mean debt free education or a very solid house down payment. 

13 hours ago, Sauron said:

That's true but 8 is really young... reaction times aside you also need to understand game mechanics and the meta really well which is hard for a child. It's impressive for him to be able to do that at a pro level.

He’s gotten loads of coaching as well though. Kids start rugby and American football at about 5 or 6 as well and start playing real games very quickly. At least he won’t have a broken body by the time he’s 25. 

Mozart composed his first piece at 5 IIRC. Given training and good guidance kids are very capable. Again, I just hope his back and wrists are taken care of. 

That's an F in the profile pic

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Mozart composed his first piece at 5 IIRC. Given training and good guidance kids are very capable. Again, I just hope his back and wrists are taken care of. 

I mean sure, but if we're comparing him to Mozart that already says a lot :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah starting early on, nothing new in a competitive world. But yeah, as any sport like hobby, at least you always need to have an alternative, because most don't make it.

I mean I do wonder how these younger peeps are skilled though. I've been playing competitive from like same age and still do. But yeah not Fortnite game.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 hours ago, Benji said:

IIRC e"Sports" are not part of the Olympic Games, and for a good reason. Not to mention that this refers to video games and not actual, physically demanding sports that you see in the Olympics. I do enjoy seeing well-executed physical things in the Olympics, but e"Sports" in my opinion is just a money-making machine for larger companies like Nvidia and Logitech to get a broader audience and not because it is something actually exciting. The entire concept of turning a free-time activity into a multi-million per person business is just strange to me and totally nonsensical. Are they good at video gaming? Yes. Is that a skill that makes any sense to have? Not in my opinion, and neither does it deserve so much money.

In what way are competetive videogames any different from any other sport? Physical demands aside, all sports are largely useless talents. Being able to run really fast or kick a ball around is just as useless in a 9-5 job as being good at call of duty is. Why is the salary of a fotball player or a golfer justifieable but an esport player`s isnt?

Most sports that have any actual viewership is are money making machines, its not limited to a single sport or "esport". Its not that difficult to imagine why most sport buisness ventures are so lucerative....

19 hours ago, Benji said:

IIRC e"Sports" are not part of the Olympic Games, and for a good reason. Not to mention that this refers to video games and not actual, physically demanding sports that you see in the Olympics. I do enjoy seeing well-executed physical things in the Olympics, but e"Sports" in my opinion is just a money-making machine for larger companies like Nvidia and Logitech to get a broader audience and not because it is something actually exciting. The entire concept of turning a free-time activity into a multi-million per person business is just strange to me and totally nonsensical. Are they good at video gaming? Yes. Is that a skill that makes any sense to have? Not in my opinion, and neither does it deserve so much money.

I've come across this line of thinking before, though mostly in the context of trying to explain what a "Let's Play" was to someone much older than even myself. Watching someone play video games is no different than sitting on your couch watching someone play a sport. You (the viewer) are not actively participating in the activity. The fact that one requires that the real participants are active does not change the fact that in both scenarios, the viewers themselves are doing the exact same thing. This made it easier for older folks to empathize with the understanding of what a "Let's Play" is, and might help you understand why eSports is a thing.

The money making side has nothing to do with it for the viewers, but it's nice that the players themselves are getting a piece of the pie in all of this. If you would have told me 20 years ago that I could have made a career out of playing video games, I would have practiced a bit harder on Mortal Kombat, lol.

As for whether something "deserves so much money", this is up for debate. Athletes (and in this context, gamers) are not your typical workers. They are entertainers and should be viewed as such. They are not paid based solely on how well they perform, but also how well they entertain. You can be the best performer in the entertainment industry, but if you are not bringing in the views, you'll make less than those that can entertain, or even run the risk of being cut entirely. There were plenty of fighters in the UFC that have consistently won, but were so boring to watch that Dana White refused to offer them fights because people stopped paying to see them, yet they were technically winning at their craft. I personally see nothing wrong with people in the entertainment industry earning the amount of money they earn when they are simply getting a small portion of what is brought in from the advertising and various proceeds. Would you rather that money be disproportionally kept by the promoters, team owners, managers or agents? At the end of the day, it's up to the individual to be smart about the contracts they sign, and that dictates what they will earn when all of the cards are on the table.

Now with all of that said, I don't really see myself watching any eSports. I tried to get into the Overwatch league back when I actually had time to play, but found it hard to keep up with. I also don't care for Let's Plays unless I am stuck on a specific part of a game and need a hint to get around something. Still, I am pretty excited for the next generation of kids that are making a living out of this without knocking their heads against each other and risking concussions. Now if only we can double down and offer some scholarships/trade school promotions for these kids on top of this, that'll really seal the deal.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Now if only we can double down and offer some scholarships/trade school promotions for these kids on top of this, that'll really seal the deal.

image.png.a8e6e4ad4671e66d016f1bd3afb8a24d.png

Source: https://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarship-directory/athletic-ability/esports

15 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Man, I am glad to see this. Here in Ohio, one of our largest universities (Ohio State) launched an Esports program, essentially teaching about Esports, but didn't offer any scholarships which seemed pretty ironic, lol.

I feel like this would be a pretty significant compromise for schools and kids. Schools would get a nice revenue stream from advertising and kids get a free ride simply doing what they would be doing after school (or during school for those of you homeschooling in this pandemic) anyways.

If I ever decide to have children, I promise not to go easy on them when they get into gaming. Now that I know their future is on the line, they'll have to get through me in order to be ready for a shot at the real world. Only then will they be able to pay off my house after they hit it big.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Man, I am glad to see this. Here in Ohio, one of our largest universities (Ohio State) launched an Esports program, essentially teaching about Esports, but didn't offer any scholarships which seemed pretty ironic, lol.

I feel like this would be a pretty significant compromise for schools and kids. Schools would get a nice revenue stream from advertising and kids get a free ride simply doing what they would be doing after school (or during school for those of you homeschooling in this pandemic) anyways.

To be honest, as someone form outside the US, I used to be between perplexed and doubtful about sports scholarships. However, as I learnt how lucrative a business college sports were over there, it started to make more sense. It's some kind of positive spillover of the business. A similar youth sports business detached from universities could end up using and discarding young athletes even more, with no side benefit for their future.

Still, it's strange to think that some kid somewhere is telling himself: "I better get my three-point percentage up or I'll never be a doctor"...

19 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

I'm sorry this is terrible. Kids that young need to be in school and doing something that will help them in the future.

Did I miss something in the article that said the kid would be dropping out of school because of this?

You know it's possible to manage an eSports career and an education, even at 12. Millions of American teenagers do it every day - they have 8 hours of school, then go to work for 4 more hours. How is this any different? This could be good! If his parent's manage his money well, hopefully they invest it into his college fund so they don't have to worry about student loans.

But obviously, he worked to get to this point. That shows that at this age the kid already has drive and determination, something a lot of kids at this age probably don't have. Shit, I don't even have that...

Why are people against this?

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

To be honest, as someone form outside the US, I used to be between perplexed and doubtful about sports scholarships. However, as I learnt how lucrative a business college sports were over there, it started to make more sense. It's some kind of positive spillover of the business. A similar youth sports business detached from universities could end up using and discarding young athletes even more, with no side benefit for their future.

Still, it's strange to think that some kid somewhere is telling himself: "I better get my three-point percentage up or I'll never be a doctor"...

Yeah, I imagine it's a far more foreign concept outside of the states depending on how your educational systems work. Ours can be a little backwards at times, and extremely expensive. I myself didn't go to college (or University, depending on what you may call it). I much prefer trade schools here in the states, as they work directly to employ those they educate or partner with companies to land them a job while training or shortly thereafter. I sort of lucked into the computer engineering industry without a degree and I imagine it would be difficult to replicate my path without a piece of paper proving you know what you are talking about.

Until recently, college football players (American Football) could be suspended or terminated for accepting anything of financial value for their services as a player. Here in Ohio, we had several players get suspended for getting tattoos and dinners for autographs. The reason behind this is that the NCAA believed that the scholarships themselves were enough of an incentive for these kids to put their bodies on the line for entertainment while they raked in millions in revenue. The state of California challenged this and other states followed shortly after. Now college players can actually make a living while studying and playing. 

I am hoping that this esports craze doesn't go to kids heads and that they still consider their studies. As someone pointed out in this thread, the competition is going to be extremely fierce and this won't be for everyone. The fact that schools are offering scholarships is a step in the right direction as this gives kids something to fall back on should it not pan out.

I can't even imagine the legal loopholes both the team and the kids parents must have jumped through to make this happen.

He's not old enough to sign a contract, he's not old enough to earn a proper wage and he's not old enough to travel without a responsible guardian present.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

I can't even imagine the legal loopholes both the team and the kids parents must have jumped through to make this happen.

He's not old enough to sign a contract, he's not old enough to earn a proper wage and he's not old enough to travel without a responsible guardian present.

I imagine it's no different than child actors. He is essentially a performer after all. Play time might be extremely limited and I would have to imagine a parent is on-site at all times, or someone they've designated as a legal guardian.

As for not being old enough to earn a "proper wage", I am not entirely certain what this means. I've been working since the age of 12 myself and if given the opportunity to earn more, I would have jumped at the chance. Age should not be a restriction on what one should be capable of earning. That being said, there is absolutely a responsibility on the parents to advise the child on how to handle his finances and to ensure it's not wasted on frivolous things without first securing ones livelihood. Hopefully his parents do better than most parents of child actors and don't immediately blow through his income for themselves. 

If done right, this is a net win for the kid. He gets exposure to the industry early on and the opportunity to earn some good money. One is never too early to start on a solid work ethic either. If he decides it's not for him, he has plenty of time left to find what he wants to do in this life, and hopefully plenty of funding to make whatever he endeavors to accomplish, happen.

7 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I imagine it's no different than child actors. He is essentially a performer after all. Play time might be extremely limited and I would have to imagine a parent is on-site at all times, or someone they've designated as a legal guardian.

As for not being old enough to earn a "proper wage", I am not entirely certain what this means. I've been working since the age of 12 myself and if given the opportunity to earn more, I would have jumped at the chance. Age should not be a restriction on what one should be capable of earning. That being said, there is absolutely a responsibility on the parents to advise the child on how to handle his finances and to ensure it's not wasted on frivolous things without first securing ones livelihood. Hopefully his parents do better than most parents of child actors and don't immediately blow through his income for themselves. 

If done right, this is a net win for the kid. He gets exposure to the industry early on and the opportunity to earn some good money. One is never too early to start on a solid work ethic either. If he decides it's not for him, he has plenty of time left to find what he wants to do in this life, and hopefully plenty of funding to make whatever he endeavors to accomplish, happen.

Maybe its not a thing in the US but in most of Europe there are pretty strong restrictions on how much money kids can earn and how many hours they're allowed to work in a week.

That being said your first point is probably the answer because yes, I'm 99% sure there are exceptions in place for child entertainers like actors, singers etc. As long as the contract says he is an entertainer then I suppose technically its not a job.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)