The PS4 gets a price increase in Canada

TopWargamer

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-4-price-increased-in-canada-271980.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Sony has confirmed to the Toronto Sun that the prices of the PlayStation 4 will be going up effective March 15. The consoles were $399.99, but will be $449.99 going forward. The camera and Dual Shock 4 controller will also see a price hike, from $59.99 to $64.99.

The reason? Sony stated that it's "to respond to changes in the market environment.” The PlayStation 4 has been hard to find across Canada, and this really doesn't help matters at all. These price hikes also follow the increase of prices for PS4 and Xbox One games back in January, from $59.99 to $64.99.

Well that's...extremely disappointing... Really sucks for anybody who was going to buy a PS4 in Canada. Not only is the console going up in price, but so is the PS4's controller. I dunno if there's a way around to get around this, so have fun paying more. 

COMIC SANS

My guess is due to a crazy amount of people buying it, also f u im not gonna save you.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Oh please PS4 here is 700$

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Cheer up canada, The guys who buy consoles over here enjoy paying that 1$=1€ conversion rate that only exists when people decide screw europeans we can squeeze more from them

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

What currency?

Indonesian Rupiah

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

At least it will bring more people to the PC life, I hope.

That's the only positive thing i can come up with. :D

The pricing isn't really changing. It's only due to the Canadian dollar depreciating @ $1 CAD = ~$0.90 USD. Exchange rates are usually lower than that with credit cards/banks.

Let's take PayPal's horrible currency exchange rate (that includes +2.9% exchange rate fee + $0.30) where $1 CAD = $0.876121  USD. Prices as of March 15, @9AM

$449.99CAD -> $394.24USD

$64.99CAD -> $56.93USD

Google's Exchange rate, where $1 CAD = $0.90 USD:

$449.99CAD -> $405.47USD

$64.99CAD -> $58.56USD

Well within the fluctuation of currency exchange rates + import taxes.

Rashy, on 15 Mar 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Indonesian Rupiah

700 rupiah? :o

700 rupiah? :o

No i meant it was 700 in USD and 7,999,000 ON INDONESIAN Rupiah >.>

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Dude, check out Lazada. It is far from $700

http://www.lazada.co.id/sony-playstation-4-original-hitam-97434.html

Its on discount, plus that 700$ is the cost when it was released here.. im not a news guy i dont stay up to date much.

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Rashy, on 16 Mar 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

Its on discount, plus that 700$ is the cost when it was released here.. im not a news guy i dont stay up to date much.

Ok. Here it is about rm1670. Definitely much cheaper than the launch price at rm1800

Ok. Here it is about rm1670. Definitely much cheaper than the launch price at rm1800

price degrade so quickly.. plus i dont like the monthly paying

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Meanwhile,it costs around $550 here,and the xbone costs $750.

EUROPE!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Sony is trying to increase their profits. They know that Canadians have no problem to pay more for their goods and services. And the majority of people complain, but not really, and continues to buy it at a higher price.

You can see this by having stores now charging bags, and people are content. Stuff even made in Canada, from a Canadian company, such as Halls, cost a lot more in Canada than in the U.S

And Canadians are starting to be like U.s.. filling up credit cards after credit cards, because they want to maintain a life style they can't afford with driving upward pricing.

The only thing that is the same price or every similar as in U.S are computer parts, and computers (however you may need to shop around).

Meanwhile,it costs around $550 here,and the xbone costs $750.

EUROPE!

If I am not mistaken you have your taxes inside the price of the product. So the actual price of the product is much cheaper.

On the mention price. For example: a 100$ item, I'll pay where I am 114.97$, where 5% is Federal Tax (Canada), and once you do the total, you do 9.975% tax on that, which is the provincial (Quebec).

So the PS4 cost here after taxes: 517.38$, which is not far off from your price. You must also understand market value. For example: what 1 Euro can get you. And that depends on what the consumer wants to pay. If everyone goes and say: 1$ Coke 591ml/600ml Coke bottle is too pricey, than it would be cheaper in that market. If people are willing to spend 80 000$ for it, and that it will be cost, regardless of the actual price of manufacture.

And yes, They are some countries which have government red tape and taxes and other things which raises the cost the product can be sold at. But Canada is not really like this. While there is no doubt it's not as cheap to do business in Canada than the U.S, the difference is not as much to cause major price increase over U.S. I am happy that more and more Canadians does the U.S to buy their things and comes back, I hope it continues to increase at an exponential rate. Maybe things will change for the best.

If I am not mistaken you have your taxes inside the price of the product. So the actual price of the product is much cheaper.

On the mention price. For example: a 100$ item, I'll pay where I am 114.97$, where 5% is Federal Tax (Canada), and once you do the total, you do 9.975% tax on that, which is the provincial (Quebec).

So the PS4 cost here after taxes: 517.38$, which is not far off from your price.

I know,the PS4 is at a decent price.However,the xbox is just...wtf?I'm not sure how 20% tax leads to double the price(almost)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

What baffles me is how popular the PS4 is vs How many good games are available for it.

Hype. What I like about Sony PlayStation (which is a HUGE problem with Nintendo), is the ability to built up hype, built-up excitement, and advertisement that really targets very closely it's market (Nintendo is lost in space in comparison).

Another thing is Sony ability to define a mind set. Again Nintendo huge failure.

Imagine for a moment applying all the Sony's marketing power of the PlayStation, and put it on the Nintendo latest console (obviously the name would be different). I personally think that Nintendo's console would be a huge hit. And it doesn't help, that at every Nintendo marketing video, you see 0 excitement about their product (since the GameCube area). It's like "here is our product.. it plays games and stuff... you might like it, maybe, somewhat... well you know the drill. k thx bye". I have a WiiU, and and every time I power it up I just can't decide which game to play, they are all crazy fun. But trying to convince people about that fact... is near impossible. However, mention PS4 and even XBox One to some extent, and they get exited.

Remember back in the old days, of Nintendo? Getting a Nintendo console was truly exiting, it had a lot of hype, which their competitor (Sega) could not compete. People associated Nintendo with gaming. it was so big, that even if you had a Sega console or Sony one, parents would call it a Nintendo. Now, that, is power. It's like Nintendo just lost all of that (or maybe Sony hired Nintendo entire marketing team, and anyone that knows anything about marketing, and Nintendo tries to market their product themselves). Shame.

wow damn I don't even have time to get one before that.

Sony is trying to increase their profits. They know that Canadians have no problem to pay more for their goods and services. And the majority of people complain, but not really, and continues to buy it at a higher price.

You can see this by having stores now charging bags, and people are content. Stuff even made in Canada, from a Canadian company, such as Halls, cost a lot more in Canada than in the U.S

And Canadians are starting to be like U.s.. filling up credit cards after credit cards, because they want to maintain a life style they can't afford with driving upward pricing.

The only thing that is the same price or every similar as in U.S are computer parts, and computers (however you may need to shop around).

No, this has nothing to do with Sony wanting to make more profit. In all likelyhood Sony isn't making any more on PS4 hardware or games. This is due to the value of the Canadian dollar tanking. Stores pay Sony in USD so when the value of the their currency drops it equals less profits. Eletronics already have very low profit margins so this is going to make stores want to charge more. So it is likely that stores asked for the MSRP increase due to all of this while they continue to pay Sony the same amount of USD.

No, this has nothing to do with Sony wanting to make more profit. In all likelyhood Sony isn't making any more on PS4 hardware or games. This is due to the value of the Canadian dollar tanking. Stores pay Sony in USD so when the value of the their currency drops it equals less profits. Eletronics already have very low profit margins so this is going to make stores want to charge more. So it is likely that stores asked for the MSRP increase due to all of this while they continue to pay Sony the same amount of USD.

B.S.

Why? Because we still pay as much as when our dollar was ~0.60$ U.S.

For a number of year it was on par with U.S, and retailers and manufactures found a billion and one excuse onto why the prices aren't dropping, including that it takes a long time for price to adjust. The day the Canadian currency goes down a bit, you see price increase immediately. This is nothing new, and Canadian really know this. We are being screwed big time.

This is nothing new. You can found countless reports, articles, and TV news talking about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2013-2014/price-wars