The PS4 gets a price increase in Canada

TopWargamer

B.S.

Why? Because we still pay as much as when our dollar was ~0.60$ U.S.

For a number of year it was on par with U.S, and retailers and manufactures found a billion and one excuse onto why the prices aren't dropping, including that it takes a long time for price to adjust. The day the Canadian currency goes down a bit, you see price increase immediately. This is nothing new, and Canadian really know this. We are being screwed big time.

This is nothing new. You can found countless reports, articles, and TV news talking about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2013-2014/price-wars

Of course they're not going to drop prices when it means more profit.  When something negetively effects store's profit they are quick to act.

There is: "Oh well our profits are down, now it's like it was initially", and "Oh here is an excuse to make more profit."

If our Canadian dollar dropped significantly, I would understand. But it's still par or near par (depending on the day). The difference is not 50$ either.

I hope their sales goes down, and people pick another console or PC gaming.

Microsoft and Nintendo are keeping their prices. Same for their accessories.

There is: "Oh well our profits are down, now it's like it was initially", and "Oh here is an excuse to make more profit."

If our Canadian dollar dropped significantly, I would understand. But it's still par or near par (depending on the day). The difference is not 50$ either.

I hope their sales goes down, and people pick another console or PC gaming.

Microsoft and Nintendo are keeping their prices. Same for their accessories.

Like I said the MSRP increase is likely due to retailers and not Sony. Sony isn't making $499.99 CAD on each unit sold, their wholesale price is likely unchanged. The low stock and hype of the PS4 gives stores idea about making more money and the currency drop gives an excuse. That is sadly the way of the world.

I wouldn't be surprised if the XB1 gives price hike though I wouldn't be susprised if it didn't either.

Not really. This is Sony announcement, not retail store increase. Recall with the Wii retail stores in Canada and U.S (can't comment anywhere else) did increase their price due to the very high demand. MSRP was still listed the same on Nintendo official website. In this case, it's Sony increase the MSRP, and that is what I am complaining about.

Else, I would be just like: well consumer will shop around and find the corner store trying to make a living and selling it at normal MSRP price.

Not really. This is Sony announcement, not retail store increase. Recall with the Wii retail stores in Canada and U.S (can't comment anywhere else) did increase their price due to the very high demand. MSRP was still listed the same on Nintendo official website. In this case, it's Sony increase the MSRP, and that is what I am complaining about.

Else, I would be just like: well consumer will shop around and find the corner store trying to make a living and selling it at normal MSRP price.

Perhaps Sony just wanted to jump the gun and increase price themselves before it gets out of hand like ATI cards and miners? Is not without precedent, remember when Sony announced the outrageous price of the PS4 in Brasil? At first I thought it was baffling that they willingly jumped the gun and got all the bad PR for it and even had to break it down to explain import taxes and all. But then I thought the same: perhaps they just wanted to jump ahead of distributors' speculation to keep it from skyrocketing the price

-------

Current Rig

-------

I would agree with you. But sadly red tape is little here in Canada. The great majority of rules and regulations on products, are on par with the U.S, especially in electronics.

The only thing they need are: Bilingual packaging (which is already done due to French speaking country in Europe. The French isn't that far off, I mean it's manuals, not game translations), maybe the warranty they need to hire 1-2 translators to have that done, which is a 1 time fee. And lastly, support. They need support in English and French with a certain percentage in Canada. That is fine, but minimum wage has not increased here (beside support is not paid minimum wage), and the initial price was 400$.

I would agree with you. But sadly red tape is little here in Canada. The great majority of rules and regulations on products, are on par with the U.S, especially in electronics.

The only thing they need are: Bilingual packaging (which is already done due to French speaking country in Europe. The French isn't that far off, I mean it's manuals, not game translations), maybe the warranty they need to hire 1-2 translators to have that done, which is a 1 time fee. And lastly, support. They need support in English and French with a certain percentage in Canada. That is fine, but minimum wage has not increased here (beside support is not paid minimum wage), and the initial price was 400$.

Not exactly what I meant, let me try to explain: In Brazil there was a significant risk of price speculation due to the importing taxes and regulations. In Canada there's like you said not as many risks, however the mere fact that Sony at this point might be falling behind in their production levels vs demand not letting up means that scarcity due to lack of sufficient production could still affect the Canadian market.

So if they are just not able to meet the demand for Canada that is going over their projections they might decide to increase MSRP themselves by 50 to avoid falling behind themselves and have retailers charge extra 100 or 150 or worst like it happens with ATI cards but to a lesser degree (since it was only an extra 50 Canadian right?) I was merely pointing out that Sony seems to want to keep ahead of price speculation whenever the factors affecting demand are on them (not enough production due to underestimation on their part) or on other factors (like Brazil behaving like a thieves paradise for criminal retailer speculation, this is actually common in Latin America retailers = scum)

EDIT: Here's an example here in Mexico, the increased demand for the PS4 means that is now more expensive than the xbox one which is something Sony is probably actively trying to avoid

http://pcel.com/electronica/videojuegos/consolas-xbox-360-ps3-wii-psp-ps-vita

-------

Current Rig

-------

If I am not mistaken you have your taxes inside the price of the product. So the actual price of the product is much cheaper.

On the mention price. For example: a 100$ item, I'll pay where I am 114.97$, where 5% is Federal Tax (Canada), and once you do the total, you do 9.975% tax on that, which is the provincial (Quebec).

So the PS4 cost here after taxes: 517.38$, which is not far off from your price. You must also understand market value. For example: what 1 Euro can get you. And that depends on what the consumer wants to pay. If everyone goes and say: 1$ Coke 591ml/600ml Coke bottle is too pricey, than it would be cheaper in that market. If people are willing to spend 80 000$ for it, and that it will be cost, regardless of the actual price of manufacture.

And yes, They are some countries which have government red tape and taxes and other things which raises the cost the product can be sold at. But Canada is not really like this. While there is no doubt it's not as cheap to do business in Canada than the U.S, the difference is not as much to cause major price increase over U.S. I am happy that more and more Canadians does the U.S to buy their things and comes back, I hope it continues to increase at an exponential rate. Maybe things will change for the best.

But that's not why it's so high priced.

Even with 19% taxes the Ps4 would be still just $476.

But the actual price is $556.

It has nothing to do with taxes.

They just like to do a 1 to 1 change.

So if it's $400 it will be 400€.

And if a game costs $60 it will cost 60€.

RTX2070OC 

Wow, already unreasonably priced games not worth anything CLOSE to $60 is being increased by around 10%! Great!

Seriously, games suck nowadays. Drop "AAA" games to $40.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

But that's not why it's so high priced.

Even with 19% taxes the Ps4 would be still just $476.

But the actual price is $556.

It has nothing to do with taxes.

They just like to do a 1 to 1 change.

So if it's $400 it will be 400€.

And if a game costs $60 it will cost 60€.

No, but Europe have other taxes.. that Sony pays, which increase the price of the console for the consumers.

In Canada, no law was just passed increasing any taxes.

The price of the WiiU, XBox One, XBox 360, Wii, are all the same price as in the U.S

Even Dell computers, monitors  and accessories, etc. are all the same price, if not, then it's CHEAPER in Canada.

What baffles me is how popular the PS4 is vs How many good games are available for it.

Sony has a track record of making great exclusive titles, I don't think they'll slow down now, Naughty Dog's Last of Us was a system seller even at the very end of the last generation.

This is coupled with the fact that it's already shown to be the superior piece of hardware this generation so it's a safe buy.

Sony has a track record of making great exclusive titles, I don't think they'll slow down now, Naughty Dog's Last of Us was a system seller even at the very end of the last generation.

This is coupled with the fact that it's already shown to be the superior piece of hardware this generation so it's a safe buy.

Operative words being down the road: there's no reason to get it now when it would be cheaper to get in the future with more available games. Is not like there's nothing to play on the PS3 it's very much in active development still. Early adopters should have a system by now persistent high demand is based on nothing but the stupidity of console gamers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Operative words being down the road: there's no reason to get it now when it would be cheaper to get in the future with more available games. Is not like there's nothing to play on the PS3 it's very much in active development still. Early adopters should have a system by now persistent high demand is based on nothing but the stupidity of console gamers.

Maybe people just have the cash laying around for it, and are thirsty for some better graphics and insanely expensive games.

I will probably buy one when MGS V is launched because I'm a bit of a series diehard.

Well that sucks for my commonwealth bros in Canada.
PS4 is doing what the Wii did all those years ago. Sadly some people might not get theirs until Christmas this year(2014)
Sony needs to ramp up production. they already have the lead on MS on price. I havn't really played to much of my PS4, the HDCP kills it for me, needing to record for YT. so just playing more Xbone.

@Misanthrope great point. I have been a little disappointed on the games, but that goes for both sides. Knack does not interest much. Infamous should hold people for a little while. until some other games come out.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Increase in price? Wonder why that move was made. But it IS amazing to see how PS4's popularity sprung it forward. It doesn't have a huge amount of games at launch and yet many still buy it. But their poor PSVita also didn't start off with much games, but it isn't getting much support from anybody.

But back the the PS4, exclusive are a really strong sell point still apparently; so with all the upcoming AAA titles coming later, whoever didn't buy one yet and wants to play the exclusives gotta pay more for now. Which is a decent strategy. Don't think that's why they raised the price, but still a good strategy to make a quick buck. :P

You guys that are still planning on getting a PS4, just wait for good ol boxing week...unless you can't wait...thennn...yaaa...buy one i guess

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I will start the Console Mafia! I can smuggle some PS4s into Canada from the US!

*Get's region locked

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Well good thing they are already all over craigslist. Oh wait i wasn't gonna buy one anyway....

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

If you're in Vancouver you should probably drive to Seattle to buy one if you're desperate but don't want to pay 449$ lol

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

If you're in Vancouver you should probably drive to Seattle to buy one if you're desperate but don't want to pay 449$ lol

That's like an hour away right? Wouldn't you end up spending more than 50 on gas and stuff?

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's like an hour away right? Wouldn't you end up spending more than 50 on gas and stuff?

Gas is cheaper in the state you can refill there.

In addition, you can do your groceries and buy other things, which are much cheaper in U.S, making up for the gas.

Well... Sony is projected to die in the next 50 years or less...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Gas is cheaper in the state you can refill there.

In addition, you can do your groceries and buy other things, which are much cheaper in U.S, making up for the gas.

Looks like you can make a whole weekend out of it, carry on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

$449 CAN ~ $404 US, so probably not worth it to go cross border shopping.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Oh please PS4 here is 700$

It's 700 dollars where I live as well. I guess Sony's attitude towards pricing is if you don't live in an English speaking Western country you are going to pay up buddy.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.