Okay Mark… the Quest 2 is a GREAT value…

RILEYISMYNAME

I though "wtf" when I saw you needed a facebook account to use a product you already paid $400 for

And then my jaw literally dropped when, a minute later, I see that they will take away your digital content and your access to use the headset if your account isn't in "good standing", which means literally whatever the f*ck facebook wants it to mean.

This headset is borderline predatory; Some non-tech savvy people are going to buy this without realizing they need a facebook account, and their headset is held ransom until they pay facebook with all of their personal information.

Linus really took a bad sponsorship here.

Oculus products are no longer selling in Germany and a lot of the lager retailers in EU do not sell Oculus anymore since more countries are on it way to block sales. EU making a "Speedily investigation" meaning come back in 20-40 month... (You know politicians are never doing anything speedily)   My guess is that the whole FaceBook account requirement will be removed soon, at east for EU citizens.

10 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

64 GB should be plenty of space for the average user. Most games don't take up more than 1-2 GB max. Beat saber only takes 700 MB, while Superhot is on the higher end at 1.91 GB. And of course if you eventually get into PC VR those games won't take up any space on the headset at all.

Thank you, that's really good to know! :) Guess I'm going for the 64Gb version...

A few tech questions...

1) What's the size difference between 65gb and 128gb?

2) I currently have the Samsung Odyssey + so use it with windows vr and steam VR (and games)... can this be used with those?

3) Is that what using the "oculus link" cable is for?

4) How long can a "oculus link" cable be? (Video said that any usb c <-> usb c cable works.

5) If you have a game on Steam (Beat Saber) do you need to buy it again thru the oculus store?

and a question not for this product, but VR in general, but hopefully someone might help with it.  I have two eyeglass perscritpions....one for distance, and one for monitor use (and one for reading glasses, but that's not relevant)....which perscription is better to use for VR, the regualr distance or the mid range monitor?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

18 hours ago, samcool55 said:

You can get away with your little trick until 2023 for current users. After that you are screwed.

It's the only reason why I bought the Rift S, I'm hoping that come 2023 I'll be able to buy Steams VR equipment or something else better than what FB offers. However even if FBs offerings are better than the rest, I like my privacy. I don't need FB watching what I play when I play it and for how long I play it. I permit steam because steam is a gaming platform first (as mentioned).

There is also this fact that has made many more even more irritated:

Now no one knows if they have the power to reverse FBs actions (via terms of sale) but the fact they haven't means either they don't care or they don't have the ability.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

VR pr0n for just 299! 😯

Have a phone? Go to walmart/best buy and buy one of those stupid phone holders for $20. 🤣 I wouldn't waste $300 on that kind of stuff.

5 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

5) If you have a game on Steam (Beat Saber) do you need to buy it again thru the oculus store?

and a question not for this product, but VR in general, but hopefully someone might help with it.  I have two eyeglass perscritpions....one for distance, and one for monitor use (and one for reading glasses, but that's not relevant)....which perscription is better to use for VR, the regualr distance or the mid range monitor?

Yes it should, but game library might be limited. BS Should work however assuming that is the title you want to play on steam.

I would try the ones for monitor since that is all VR really is.

Ill never be recommending Oculus VR sets since the forced Facebook requirement came into affect. Theres enough data tracking as it is let alone with a full on camera, location, and physical movement sensor tracking ur literal every move. it was an absolutly terrible move, and certainly not for the benefit for the consumer thats for damn sure.

Not to mention if u get arbitrarily banned on facebook, which happens a lot nowadays, u've just lost access to ur hardware it just straight up daft.

Thankfully, some people do listen when they find this stuff out, as anecdotal as it is, i've had a handful of people i know in person that in recent times have decided to not by an Oculus after i've informed them on the facebook issue.

Now away from Oculus, im still of the mind that wider FoV models need to be become normal as is the necessity for self emmisive high resolution high refresh screens.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I wonder how much Facebook paid Linus for this video. 

I guess poor Linus really needed the money so he could buy and give away a Tesla to some friends or whatever. 

Whenever Linus talks about how they need to make more money, that they are willing to sell out their own integrity to make some more money, I think of the luxury cars his employees have and the car Linus decided to give away, or how he has said he has enough money to never have to work again if he didn't want to. 

The grammar in the title just annoys me lol sorry.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

some friends or whatever

they were his in-laws.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

and the car Linus decided to give away

Not 100% correct at least based on his words:

He was basically repaying them. Equally he'll buy people close to family Teslas but won't buy one himself 🤪 Even tho the X is technically as good if not better than any Minivan out there, that shit aint flipping for nothing:

However I can't disagree with your other words. Linus claims FB had no issues with no holding back yet he clearly didn't go into the specifics/basics of the negative issues of actually owning one requiring a FB login only including the loss of all games if you lose your account for any reason, or the obvious privacy issues. Instead he much rather tell users to do their own research just to talk about the abilities, which are great just the company is complete and utter 💩 and that was never addressed like it would have been if it was for anyone else.

It was just this week Mark was back in video chats trying to defend himself against privacy issues or monopoly (I forget which), no one should be promoting a companies product who is like that. The VR scene they may not have a monopoly in but that doesn't make them consumer friendly, I have my Rift S unplugged when not in use and their software shutdown just in case.

Linus spends 3 WAN shows being pissed at Facebook/Oculus for the forced accounts, the account bans and the privacy concerns only to say "yeah, I don't care about my privacy" in a Facebook-sponsored video a month later

Absolutely gorgeous 

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

Regarding your hacking the Quest 2 video that's coming. If you can, could you investigate if getting the 802.11AY wifi working on the quest 2 (would need a hack from my understanding) and see if it is backwards compatible with an 802.11AD router? I'm wondering if that can be the golden bullet to get sub 25ms latency.

Spyware spreading to every phone, computer, TV, fridge, car and VR headset is a disease. Stay safe, people.

To buy it you are required to give away your soul.

At least Zark Muckerberg is happy (and laughs maniacally in hell)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 11/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, Video Beagle said:

A few tech questions...

1) What's the size difference between 65gb and 128gb?

2) I currently have the Samsung Odyssey + so use it with windows vr and steam VR (and games)... can this be used with those?

3) Is that what using the "oculus link" cable is for?

4) How long can a "oculus link" cable be? (Video said that any usb c <-> usb c cable works.

2, 3 and 5) Yes, you can use Quest 2 as a PCVR headset with cable and you can use Steam games mostly without problems (give it the few times in year when Facebook updates something just to get grey hairs for Valve to keep supporting Facebook HMDs. Although I would be skeptical how long this will continue since Facebook has kind of confirmed that they will be ending the support for Oculus Dash (software for Rift headsets) that is used to link Quest HMDs to SteamVR and, at least what I know, there isn't anything similar in the Quest except the Virtual Desktop which is kind of bypass of a bypass, so it's kind of good question what happens when Dash is cancelled (it has been confirmed the Rift S is the last Rift Facebook is going to make) and will there be something to replace it.

4) For good grade passive 3 meters, for poor grade less, to get longer go for active cable (up to 10 meters). Basicly any cable works, it's just that while the 20-50$€£ cable can get you to the 3 meters or even 4 the 1$€£ cable most likely will get you to 0.5 meters because signal errors.

For glasses) Far distance prescription. While the displays are close to your eyes, the lenses make your eyes to focus for far distance and with reading glasses you are on your way to a lot of headaches. I don't remember how well Quests and glasses go but you might enjoy VR better if you bought prescription lenses for your HMD (VR Optician at least sells add-on lenses which don't require you to take your HMD apart for installation).

22 hours ago, n0stalghia said:

Linus spends 3 WAN shows being pissed at Facebook/Oculus for the forced accounts, the account bans and the privacy concerns only to say "yeah, I don't care about my privacy" in a Facebook-sponsored video a month later

Absolutely gorgeous 

I was not reacting much over the fact that is is a sponsored review, it happens.  But I'm REALLY disjointed in how Linus last night on WAN show contentiously claimed that this is not a review.

The sole definition of a product review:

a report in a newspaper, magazine, or programme in which an expert gives an opinion about a product or compares various similar products.

Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/product-review

So per definition this is a review, the title it self "Quest 2 is a GREAT value" is a review.  So why this defensive behaviour from Linus?  There is no question, there is no way Linus don't know this is a review.  And again I'm not that concern over that the fact that is a sponsored review but Linus straight out lying about it just makes me sad and part of the trust he have built up over the years are gone. 

3 hours ago, Kroon said:

I was not reacting much over the fact that is is a sponsored review, it happens.  But I'm REALLY disjointed in how Linus last night on WAN show contentiously claimed that this is not a review.

The sole definition of a product review:

a report in a newspaper, magazine, or programme in which an expert gives an opinion about a product or compares various similar products.

Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/product-review

So per definition this is a review, the title it self "Quest 2 is a GREAT value" is a review.  So why this defensive behaviour from Linus?  There is no question, there is no way Linus don't know this is a review.  And again I'm not that concern over that the fact that is a sponsored review but Linus straight out lying about it just makes me sad and part of the trust he have built up over the years are gone. 

Why are we so harped on on whether this is a review or not, bring out the definition even, is this some English test? Linus is not using this definition for his definition of a 'review'. Linus gave lots of personal opinion (honest ones I believe) about every product that was sponsored (not showcased), just that in the case the company behind it is sketchy, and thus people were not happy. I think more importantly, judge for yourself, it is already stated that the video is a sponsored one, thus it is more of Linus experiencing the product and giving his impressions, rather that a real review where the product is assessed and compared to competitors and given it's pros and cons. 

8 hours ago, crazzp said:

You're shredding some very fine lines.

Now, myself, I've been on facebook a very long time and continue to use it, so I walked past the line of Facebook knowing my secrets a loooooong time ago, so I'm interested in this from the tech specs, can it do what I want, and for a price I'll pay...but these privacy concerns have been a big thing with his community (se the PIA hubabloo) and, while I haven't seen the new wan show yet, it sounds like he spends another ammount of time being defensive when called out, with luke I'm sure telling him he's good and pretty, and likely whining again about how Apple won't give him the time of day (as he did in the short circuit about iPhones)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

4 hours ago, Miracle Nachos said:

Linus then choosing to bitch about integrity for half an hour after publically pissing his up the wall is just icing on the cake.

Kinda like my prior comment said, "All I'm saying is, this content does not feel like the norm from LTT.", and Linus's reaction is further indication on this. I do hope he's okay, with taking so much flak when it comes to questioning his wording. It's still ultimately an integrity issue of the video itself. He also has to understand that questioning these videos does not turn me into a "hater". He's treating it like a black & white situation and become overtly defensive as a result. And his reaction is making things so much worse.

For example, his reaction to these agitated tweets of mine (along with that @crazzp fellow opting to comment wildly about slapping VPNs on things, which is ironic because like I said in my last post, LTT stopped partnering with TunnelBear because of PRIVACY ISSUES with being acquired by McAfee lmao): (Text continues after image)

spacer.png

(Note: I also linked to my forum comment on this here which more fully explained my thoughts, because Twitter is a bad mode for complete thoughts)

No Linus, I didn't mishear you. Being defensive is understandable and human. Being downright dismissive of complaint is not reasonable.

And this constant defensive language on WAN was downright dismissive, and didn't even tackle the bulk of the issues. I care not if the video was labeled review or showcase. The content speaks for itself, and I do quite honestly feel it's "fine". The videos were appropriately disclosed, as they always have been. The issue is how downright lopsided it is to not stick to their guns about privacy issues or how bad the Facebook account requirement truly is. Instead of accurately covering the controversy and poor practices of Facebook/Oculus, we instead were, again, having our concerns and opinions dismissed. This isn't your run of the mill drama - this is direct criticism over these particular videos.

And no, I'm not going to suddenly stop watching LTT because of two agitating videos and a WAN show. I've been watching LTT content for many many years. At the time of those videos, I still had yet another order of LTT merch (because the merch is actually pretty good). I received the other day, a second stealth hoodie, and have the dbrand skin and grip case on the way (Anthony edition though, sorry Linus edition). I have a LTT water bottle within reach, my T-shirt collection continues to grow, recently adding the keyboard shirt (in blue, because blue looked sweet). I'm perfectly okay supporting LTT by purchasing merch I'm happy to wear because it's decent merch made by decent people who believe in what they're producing. I'm Floatplane Beta still, LTT forum premium (or whatever it was called back then), and YouTube Premium, to best support content creators I enjoy and say thank you for the content I consume.

So do try to believe me when I say with relative experience that, "All I'm saying is, this content does not feel like the norm from LTT.".

There is no spoon.

I think the problem Linus has is that he thinks that all the different kinds of videos he does is clear cut because he is deep and well into the creative process. He understands that "showcase" means "I am getting paid to say these things, this is an ad" while review means "this is not an ad, this is my honest opinion", and in the case of the Quest 2 video he knew "Facebook paid us to make the video but we got X amount of creative control over it". On the WAN show he event went on about how some videos were not "structured" as a review because of X and Y or whatever. 

The problem is that viewers have no understanding of the subtle nuances he might think are obvious. Things like naming a certain type of video "showcase" might be obvious to him that it means a certain thing, but to viewers it might not be.

I think that when he started making "showcase" videos he even defended them by saying people should have noticed that it was an additional video and that they uploaded two videos that day, so therefore viewers should have understood that it was essentially an ad. Sorry Linus but people do not keep track of such minute details like "on the same day he uploads videos titled showcase he also uploads another video". That might be obvious details to you who make the videos, but not to viewers who just see a video show up on their Youtube recommendations.

Likewise, viewers do not know how much or little freedom you get from a specific contract when you make a sponsored video. Even if you say "Facebook gave us a lot of freedom to make this video", we still don't know how much. Hell, we don't even know if that is true. That might be a thing Facebook made you say, contractually.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I think the problem Linus has is that he thinks that all the different kinds of videos he does is clear cut because he is deep and well into the creative process. He understands that "showcase" means "I am getting paid to say these things, this is an ad" while review means "this is not an ad, this is my honest opinion", and in the case of the Quest 2 video he knew "Facebook paid us to make the video but we got X amount of creative control over it". On the WAN show he event went on about how some videos were not "structured" as a review because of X and Y or whatever. 

The problem is that viewers have no understanding of the subtle nuances he might think are obvious. Things like naming a certain type of video "showcase" might be obvious to him that it means a certain thing, but to viewers it might not be.

I think that when he started making "showcase" videos he even defended them by saying people should have noticed that it was an additional video and that they uploaded two videos that day, so therefore viewers should have understood that it was essentially an ad. Sorry Linus but people do not keep track of such minute details like "on the same day he uploads videos titled showcase he also uploads another video". That might be obvious details to you who make the videos, but not to viewers who just see a video show up on their Youtube recommendations.

Likewise, viewers do not know how much or little freedom you get from a specific contract when you make a sponsored video. Even if you say "Facebook gave us a lot of freedom to make this video", we still don't know how much. Hell, we don't even know if that is true. That might be a thing Facebook made you say, contractually.

While all of that is true, there's also the question that should have been asked of "Should I accept this sponsored video deal?". There's obviously going to be monetary benefit that has to make it worth them, but like my prior replies, this is out of the norm. LTT has accepted not one, but two video sponsorships (Short Circuit + LTT) from Facebook for this, and they should have been able to read the room that people are going to be incredibly agitated with this fact. And honestly, that would typically be "fine". The issue is simply glossing over and dismissing the Facebook controversy with little more than a mention. They should have known to tread carefully.

And really, it probably broke down to them missing out on covering Quest 2 content until they could purchase one, since I doubt they would have been sent one without agreeing to the full #OculusPartner nonsense that gets stipulated in these agreement. But when the reaction to people disliking these videos is to go on the defensive and be simply dismissive, it makes the whole sponsorship that much worse. It's just a major misstep, followed by another.

There is no spoon.

T...thanks... for letting me know...? 

though unnecessary because I don't have fb account and didn't plan to... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I have no problem with this video being a showcase sponsored by Facebook it's fine Linus can do whatever with this.
My problem is the little fact that Facebook is requiring a Facebook login to even use the quest 2 and that Linus Claimed nothing will be pushed under the rug and at the same time rush past the Facebook login controversy so fast that  you would think he is supporting Facebook on this matter.
The video and the content was great. the fact it was a sponsored content is also fine and it was even very clearly marked as such.

but such an important privacy issue thing is not fair to be rushed past.