Stupid things manufacturers did pre-2010

mao91

A thread.

I’ll start: Forgoing SATA connectors and just directly soldering a mini USB 2.0 header to a hard drive.

D6372FE9-FC57-4A56-BAFC-9A1967FA81B3.jpeg.b8f4d9e263c7d42f4cf0eb4e5b555152.jpeg

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

everything about the Danamics LMX Superleggera cooler 

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cooling/danamics-lmx-superleggera-review/1/

danamicslmx6s.jpg.89435cdf1e17d1d0fe7c05603f2c90de.jpg

3.5in bay power supply for the pump, weighs over a kG with plastic brackets to secure it, heat pipes filled with liquid metal instead of phase changing vapor using an electromagnetic pump to cycle the fluid. 

everything about it was bad.  

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

There were a lot of stupid things but also a lot of smart things. Like amd creating x64 with x86 compatibility. 

I guess the only stupid thing I can think of would be micro USB. Fragile connectors. 

I would also go with micro usb

5 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

I would also go with micro usb

its better than mini b or proprietary connection

mine is cf cards

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

21 minutes ago, fpo said:

I guess the only stupid thing I can think of would be micro USB. Fragile connectors

haven't broken a connector but a couple of cables have broke which is easy to replace

also another dumb connector apple 30pin and lighting

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Full copper heatsinks like Zalman CNPS7000C - Y U make no heatpipe?

Spoiler

cnps7000c-cu-large.jpg

Or Zalman Copper CNPS 3100

Spoiler

zalman_trio.jpg

I edit my posts more often than not

Sony with the PS3, weird architecture, patchy PS2 compatibility, stupid price tag, cutting off Linux support.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 minutes ago, sub68 said:

haven't broken a connector but a couple of cables have broke which is easy to replace

Odk why but they wouldn’t make connections. Like my phone wouldn’t charge, or my computer wouldn’t detect them. I didn’t want to buy replacement cables. 

10 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I agree. Lighting is okay but I broke a few. Apple 30 pin was okay but it came off finicky.

i have no experience with USB C, but I hope it’s the cable we are looking for & they stop changing the damn shape of the connector. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I didn’t want to buy replacement cables. 

I have like a crap ton of micro b in a drawer somewhere

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

Lighting is okay but I broke a few.

apple cable they give you is trash as per usually I have broken to many pairs of wired airpods do to the connector failing 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

Apple 30 pin was okay but it came off finicky.

true

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I have like a crap ton of micro b in a drawer somewhere

And now it’s useless cuz broken or outdated. 

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

apple cable they give you is trash as per usually I have broken to many pairs of wired airpods do to the connector failing 

I’m not buying AirPods. Too proprietary. 

Just now, fpo said:

I’m not buying AirPods. Too proprietary. 

the 3.5 mm version earpods

Just now, fpo said:

And now it’s useless cuz broken or outdated. 

I have non broken right now

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

the 3.5 mm version earpods

Oh, those were good.

Just now, sub68 said:

I have non broken right now

But don't work with new phones & devices.

7 minutes ago, fpo said:

But don't work with new phones & devices.

true

8 minutes ago, fpo said:

Oh, those were good.

but the build quialty was bad I went though a pair a year  they arnt that bad but I prefer the sony mdr ex14 or moondrop shuri yuki

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

My favourite is still the SanDisk SlotRadio player.

416j1qPzBCL._AC_SX425_.jpg.247e1c12a056a0b96c5f05a8503c3630.jpg

Imagine if the '00s-era RIAA designed its dream music player. Not only did it revolve around microSD cards preloaded with music you couldn't move elsewhere (lose the card and you lose a large chunk of your collection), but there wasn't even a "back" button or specific track selection. If you missed a song, you had to skip through the entire playlist (no mean feat when there were about 1,000 songs per card) before you could listen to it.

It had a possible appeal for people who were afraid of managing their own music, but it really felt like it was designed to please music rights owners rather than... you know, listeners. If anyone ever moans to you about how Apple was supposedly restrictive with the iPod, just show them the SlotRadio and they'll apologize right away.

28 minutes ago, sub68 said:

but the build quialty was bad I went though a pair a year  they arnt that bad but I prefer the sony mdr ex14 or moondrop shuri yuki

I had some experience with apple earphones dying pretty quickly, but I think that's just most of the 3.5mm earbuds.

I've had the same pair of sennheisser over hear studio headphones for 5 years now & they are still perfect.

Maybe the small earbud sizes are just too small for the materials. I have a pretty thich cable for my headphones compared to what I've seen on every other pair of headphones.

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

've had the same pair of sennheisser over hear studio headphones for 5 years now & they are still perfect.

my brother had a pair of sennhisers for 5 years

and mine are going 3 years now

one of the churches I help has a pair of sennhiser hd 280pros for about 10years I believe

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, sub68 said:

my brother had a pair of sennhisers for 5 years

and mine are going 3 years now

one of the churches I help has a pair of sennhiser hd 280pros for about 10years I believe

Sennheisers must be made like a tank, HD 280 pros you can replace the headband pad so those seem made to last, I wish more companies did that with headphones.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Sennheisers must be made like a tank

those are built crazy good

even the wire is replaceable

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994896-REG/sennheiser_082328_replacement_connection_cable_for.html/reviews

I see in amazon reviews "left side is broken worst product ever" I  go well sennhiser has replacement for most use parts including the dang cable 

end rant but the 280 pros are just awesome pair of phones and I will keep recamending them

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

30-pin was back when every manufacturer used their own proprietary connectors so can't say much about not using the "most common" as that didn't exist. Yes, mini-B was a thing but not all that many devices actually used it (especially MP3 players/phones). As for durability, from my limited experience and what I've seen/heard, it failed no more than any other existing connectors back then. 

Lightning wise, it's straight up better than micro USB. Yes, type C is a thing but given lightning came out 2 whole years before type C was even published (and almost 3 years before the first device with type C actually came out), you can't exactly call it "dumb" as it was designed to replace 30-pin and make the micro look horribly outdated, and it did do that pretty well. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

you can't exactly call it "dumb" as it was designed to replace 30-pin and make the micro look horribly outdated, and it did do that pretty well. 

ok fair point its just I don't have a ton of diveices with type c

and I just dont really like proprietary connectors

anyway a cable is cable and are preference of cables differ

and I don't care about it as long as I have said cable

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Those proprietary phone connectors were really dumb, but every manufacturer had patented their own connector, micro usb was an upgrade even though those were fragile and the cheap cables never stayed connected.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Those proprietary phone connectors were really dumb, but every manufacturer had patented their own connector, micro usb was an upgrade even though those were fragile and the cheap cables never stayed connected.

It feels like Apple's proprietary connector is at least tolerable as it's guaranteed to be ubiquitous. Ask a friend if they have a Lightning cable and there's a real chance they'll say yes. It's a much harder sell for other platforms as few of them have enough clout to guarantee wide availability (or the technical know-how to have an advantage over plain USB).

Zune.

I had one.

It was "ok" when thinking purely about a portable music player, but Microsoft's pooped the bed with it as far as integration and software, goes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It feels like Apple's proprietary connector is at least tolerable as it's guaranteed to be ubiquitous. Ask a friend if they have a Lightning cable and there's a real chance they'll say yes. It's a much harder sell for other platforms as few of them have enough clout to guarantee wide availability (or the technical know-how to have an advantage over plain USB).

I was thinking of all the proprietary phone charging cables before smartphones were popular.

And I guess a proprietary connector is tolerable enough as long as you have the cable and device, although after Apple ditched their 30 pin connector that left behind a lot of docks and accessories made to use the connector, even car radio units that had the Apple connector in the glove box.