Stupid things manufacturers did pre-2010

mao91

TBH, probably the f*cking memory stick duo

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It feels like Apple's proprietary connector is at least tolerable as it's guaranteed to be ubiquitous. Ask a friend if they have a Lightning cable and there's a real chance they'll say yes. It's a much harder sell for other platforms as few of them have enough clout to guarantee wide availability (or the technical know-how to have an advantage over plain USB).

As a university student, my experience funnily enough is that most people have lightning and micro but not type-C. With close to a 50/50 split for IOS vs non-IOS market share in the UK and the student population leaning quite heavily towards IOS, it probably comes to no surprise that lightning is more plentiful when compared to type-C as you also have to remember that the non-IOS section also includes devices without type-C. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

TBH, probably the f*cking memory stick duo

I know a camera that has a PCMCIA slot

pcmcia2.jpeg.cab5708ad1b8223b3fb152b09966f71e.jpeg

it came with a memory stick card but you could adapt it to sd

455.jpg.c7b559adbbc6de46ea1e1ded46630759.jpg

what it came with

87496.jpg.cc1bc6c8a31bd976d5895ff2db364010.jpg

just a adapter I had

I don't think this is dumb you can adapt this camera to any media type and I like how the camera takes sony npf batters

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

43 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I was thinking of all the proprietary phone charging cables before smartphones were popular.

And I guess a proprietary connector is tolerable enough as long as you have the cable and device, although after Apple ditched their 30 pin connector that left behind a lot of docks and accessories made to use the connector, even car radio units that had the Apple connector in the glove box.

Yeah, those were particularly painful. And I'm definitely familiar with what happened when the 30-pin connector faded away... my alarm clock became much less useful!

These stupid HP Media Drives that HP stuck bays for at the front of their Pavilion Media Center systems.

Personal media drive | Article about personal media drive by The Free  Dictionary

It made working on these systems a pain with how far in the bay intruded inside of the case. 

Hardware review: HP Pavilion m7480n desktop | Raoul Pop

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, fpo said:

I’m not buying AirPods. Too proprietary. 

How?

It's just bluetooth.  AirPods can be used on other devices, yes, even Android.  There's a little button on the case to connect it to any other device like any other bluetooth accessory.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

9 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

How?

It's just bluetooth.  AirPods can be used on other devices, yes, even Android.  There's a little button on the case to connect it to any other device like any other bluetooth accessory.

Charger, charger connector. 

I didn’t know they were Bluetooth. I thought they were only working with iPhones. 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

Charger, charger connector. 

I didn’t know they were Bluetooth. I thought they were only working with iPhones. 

Literally just lightning connector, lmao.  Who doesn't have one of those.  I could understand if it was another made up connector for it, but for something as ubiquitous as lightning?  Plus it comes with a lightning cable in the box.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Literally just lightning connector, lmao.  Who doesn't have one of those.  I could understand if it was another made up connector for it, but for something as ubiquitous as lightning?  Plus it comes with a lightning cable in the box.

Yeah but I don’t want adapters sticking out of things and a different cable for every device. Just 1 cable for everything. Like the EU is requiring by law. 

21 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Zune.

I had one.

It was "ok" when thinking purely about a portable music player, but Microsoft's pooped the bed with it as far as integration and software, goes.

The Zune line definitely had its bright spots, but it felt like the first sign of a key way the Ballmer-era Microsoft would miss the boat: it was chasing after Apple without really trying to take the lead or understand why Apple was successful. The lack of truly tight integration was a problem, like you said, but Microsoft was also perpetually behind in key areas (flash-based players, touchscreens, and the like) and clearly hoping that "more indie than thou" marketing would make up for things.

Apple succeeded with the iPod not just because it made digital music easy to use, but because it was willing to take some aggressive steps to corner the market. Hell, I still remember the audacity of Apple replacing the iPod mini with the nano even though it was a step back in capacity. The company had a vision where Microsoft was reactionary and thinking purely in business terms.

On 10/11/2020 at 4:49 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

Superleggera

Which is funny if you think about, as that means "SuperLightweight" in Italian...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Microsoft Zune.

But, to be honest, I loved Mini Disk. I had a really nice Mini Disk player, and I literally used it until it wore out. I had 9 disks for it, and... I think someone actually stole it, but I can't remember exactly what happened to it. I do know I don't have it anymore.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022