No more approving messages Donald and Joe - Google to block political ads after election day

piratemonkey

Summary

Google will block all election related ads on all their platforms including youtube and Google ads after polls close on November 3rd in order to prevent misinformation

Quotes

Reuters

Google will block election-related ads on its platforms after polls close in the U.S. election on Nov. 3, the company told advertisers in an email on Friday.

. . .

The email said the company would ban election ads, including those that mention state or federal office-holders, candidates, or political parties, as well as ads running on election-related search queries.

The Verge

While the winner of the US presidential election is often announced on election night, this year the process is expected to take longer as more people are voting by mail due to the pandemic. That window could give the political campaigns of Donald Trump or Joe Biden a chance to run ads prematurely claiming victory and spreading confusion about the results. 

My thoughts

I think this is a good move. I think it'd be better if they stopped maybe a week before or something, but this is better than nothing. It's good that they noticed this concern, and have addressed it. I wish that google would ban all political ads tho, like twitter. oh well

Sources

reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-alphabet-election/google-to-block-u-s-election-ads-after-polls-close-idUSKCN26G2Q8

the verge: https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/25/21456323/google-election-ad-ban-donald-trump-early-victory

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

The radio where can only absorb one channel I work are just a bunch of old politician men lying and pointing fingers ads. + 80's music so that's a plus. Can't wait for this joke to be over.

So glad they are including YouTube in this. I have been getting non-stop election ads for weeks. It has been the same unskippable ad and it pains me everytime it comes back.

Also, reminder to keep politics out of the discussion, or mods might have to lock it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

So glad they are including YouTube in this. I have been getting non-stop election ads for weeks. It has been the same unskippable ad and it pains me everytime it comes back.

I saw one that was sorta like a gif. super annoying and bad

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Also, reminder to keep politics out of the discussion, or mods might have to lock it.

thank you :)

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

I'd rather they outright ban all political ads right now. Enough with that shit.

Who seriously watch a political ad and think "yeah I'm gonna blindly vote for them without informing myself any further past this one ad"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

I'd rather they outright ban all political ads right now. Enough with that shit.

Who seriously watch a political ad and think "yeah I'm gonna blindly vote for them without informing myself further past this one ad"

ya. Hopefully no one does. and a lot of the time they're attack ads, not at all about the person running the ad. smh

37 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

ya. Hopefully no one does. and a lot of the time they're attack ads, not at all about the person running the ad. smh

Pretty much.

And it's not rare to also be literal fake news, too. I think Twitter pulled/flagged at least 2 ads from the current administration, because they used doctored video footage to show their opponent in a bad way... As if nobody would catch that. Then claim it's all a "joke" when caught ... 🤦‍♂️

In any case, I fully expect this thread to get locked very soon. It's impossible to have this discussion about this subject matter, without going political.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Pretty much.

And it's not rare to also be literal fake news, too. I think Twitter pulled at least 2 ads from the current administrator, because they used doctored video footage to show their opponent in a bad way... As if nobody would catch that. Then claim it's all a "joke" when caught ... 🤦‍♂️

In any case, I fully expect this thread to get locked very soon. It's impossible to have this discussion about this subject matter, without going political.

I think we're doing good so far. We ain't naming names or explicitly saying nothing

besides outright fake and doctored stuff, there's also just as much ignorance as there is in real life. If you're going to attack half of america, at least be decent about it

19 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

A Provincial election was just announced earlier this week for BC (it was pushed forward a year) so I'm getting non stop political ads. But sometimes I watch them ironically as they're usually rather cringy. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

23 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

maybe just stop using this service then?

how can you say "it pains you" while you're actively supporting it?

it's not like you gonna die without youtube or that there aren't ad blockers. it always baffles me seeing these kind of reactions. no offense, just an idea!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

38 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

maybe just stop using this service then?

how can you say "it pains you" while you're actively supporting it?

By pains me I mean it’s extremely annoying. I do however acknowledge that i am doing nothing to prevent it. It’s kind of impossible to avoid YouTube though. But I don’t see how I am supporting it and not the creators they have to pay for the ad view.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

3 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

By pains me I mean it’s extremely annoying. I do however acknowledge that i am doing nothing to prevent it. It’s kind of impossible to avoid YouTube though. But I don’t see how I am supporting it and not the creators they have to pay for the ad view.

well google obviously gets a cut from it. and I understand you want to support the creators of content you like. just imo when something gets too annoying or obnoxious I'm not gonna support it...

For example I usually watch yt on my browser,and there are no ads... at least not those terrible yt ones...

I don't really mind ads how linus does them for example, they're really not that bad, and in my case not about ultra terrible german products which google thinks they need to show me which I'm already actively avoiding anyways lol, also can skip those obviously... and sometimes they're actually interesting, unlike yt ads.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I have a bit of a mixed bag on this. I for one am glad that there will be none of that in Google's slice of the internet, even if it is temporary and limited in scope.

My only concern is if the concept of banning ALL political ads becomes the norm throughout the internet. Not from a free speech scenario, since there are private companies.

Its more of a concern about voter engagement and outreach, especially as more and more people are abandoning radio and television in favor of the internet, where premium subscriptions and ad blockers eliminate ads mso

7 minutes ago, sora.sky said:

I have a bit of a mixed bag on this. I for one am glad that there will be none of that in Google's slice of the internet, even if it is temporary and limited in scope.

My only concern is if the concept of banning ALL political ads becomes the norm throughout the internet. Not from a free speech scenario, since there are private companies.

Its more of a concern about voter engagement and outreach, especially as more and more people are abandoning radio and television in favor of the internet, where premium subscriptions and ad blockers eliminate ads mso

I definitely get the concern for apathy and just not being in the know, but at the same time there's always going to be tweeting about politics. It's in Twitter's DNA. And tbh ads are just not the way to do things

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Who seriously watch a political ad and think "yeah I'm gonna blindly vote for them without informing myself any further past this one ad"

who seriously thinks that why politicians buy ad spots?

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

who seriously thinks that why politicians buy ad spots?

I believe the people who fall for it think that. 😅

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

This is why I have YouTube Premium and never looked back

22 minutes ago, AldiPrayogi said:

This is why I have YouTube Premium and never looked back

Same. Its same cost as netflix, and personally, I consume waaaaaaaaay more content on youtube than any other platform. The inclusion of google play music..... was.... a nice addition too.

If I was a company like google, I wouldn't go as far as banning all political ads like twitter, but I think it would be appropriate to ban political attack ads. so, "I'm joe biden and I support the ACA. find out more details on my website." would be fine, but "Trump opposes the ACA!" would be banned.

4 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Same. Its same cost as netflix, and personally, I consume waaaaaaaaay more content on youtube than any other platform. The inclusion of google play music..... was.... a nice addition too.

If I was a company like google, I wouldn't go as far as banning all political ads like twitter, but I think it would be appropriate to ban political attack ads. so, "I'm joe biden and I support the ACA. find out more details on my website." would be fine, but "Trump opposes the ACA!" would be banned.

That seems like a fair middle ground. Honestly everyone would get more out of it that way. I'd learn something new about a candidate, without receiving hate towards something I possibly believe in

29 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I got a discount using a student account too which is pretty sweet. Around 4$ for Youtube Music & Premium.

The only time I wished Google owned more so I can stop seeing 3 Mark Kelly ads every commercial break on TV. The only reason I'm excited for election is so those damn ads will go away.

I wish they would limit the Christmas music after Thanksgiving in the same way.

#Muricaparrotgang