Apple online store now live in India with greedy and out of touch prices

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
1 hour ago, Kisai said:

The more popular a company, or a person is, the more haters they have, for seemingly strange and arbitrary reasons. Even on this forum.

If you look at the big picture, Apple does not need to subsidize their devices. They make high margin luxury devices, not low-margin rubbish like Samsung that can't even run software the high end devices can.

People often forget that higher profit margins don't just mean fatter salaries for executives. They serve as a cushion so that the company doesn't have to panic if there's a quarter or two where sales are less than ideal. The company doesn't have to choose between profit and a healthy R&D budget. And it means not having to sacrifice build quality or load up on ads/bloatware to subsidize costs.

This isn't to excuse any and all profit margins. But it is perpetually amusing to see people complain about Apple's profit margins, yet wonder why the mobile divisions of Samsung, LG, Sony and others bleed cash if they so much as sneeze. For that matter, companies like HTC and Motorola became shadows of their former selves in part because they competed aggressively on price.

20 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I am merely posting a news article, i'm sorry facts hurt your feelings. 

How is this news to you? From your name I know you're an Indian. How in the world are you not informed about these things? The ridiculous import taxes. This is not news to anybody

Try buying something from LTTStore.com. You'll have to pay almost 50% of cart value as custom duties after, once they bring it to your doorstep. WIll Linus take a hit on his profits for Indian consumers? No, he isnt. Same with every company. All products are very expensive in places with high import taxes. Two weeks ago, he Xbox Series S pricing released in India, which is almost as costly as the Series X in US. Yet I didn not see an article from you hating Microsoft for "greedy and out of touch prices". I'm quoting you, what are you smoking to remain oblivious to such obvious facts?

20 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well Tesla is an interesting comparison, because Tesla has so many biased fans that will defend everything they do as well, such as bad quality paint,scratches from the factory, uneven panel fitment,Telsa being anti-right to repair forcing you to find a dealer or certified repair shop, or charging $2,000 for a software upgrade to make the vehicle slightly faster.

Don’t forget when they charged Rebuilt title Tesla owners some large amount of money to have the car inspected and recertified for supercharging. Only to reverse the policy shortly after, disabling supercharging for all of those customers again and not issue any refunds for the service they paid for. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Oh it gets better, $5 will get you a week of food in India, the price of that 64GB upgrade could possibly sustain you indefinitely.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:40 AM, Bad5ector said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Apple tax...

Aftermarket stuff like RAM has always been cheaper going third party when talking about Apple products.

Oh, I'm sure someone at Apple will be fired for not making the modules proprietary; with a patented design.

On 9/24/2020 at 2:46 AM, germgoatz said:

if people like apple so much why isnt there an apple 2

It’s called Huawei

18 hours ago, StDragon said:

Oh, I'm sure someone at Apple will be fired for not making the modules proprietary; with a patented design.

Iirc they sort of tried that once briefly many many many years ago.  They had a vid o card connector that PC didn’t use.  Not sure it was proprietary.  The video card connector was better than what was available for pc and almost made sense. It didn’t stay that way though.  It may have actually caused agp.  Not sure. Memory is fuzzy there.  I would think Apple might be willing to make a proprietary ram connector if it was, say, ddr6x right now.  Apple only used to do proprietary stuff if they had a pretty compelling case that the system they were using was provably better than the current standard.  They always have been. Apple SCSI beat serial cables stupid, the variable speed floppies held 4 times as much data. Etc...  Apple tended to hold onto tech too long though.  Lightning cables still work better than UsbC.  They don’t collect dirt.   You don’t see a lot of people having to clean out their lightning port carefully with a wooden toothpick.  The scsi cables got not much better, the variable speed floppies were eventually slower.  I got the impression Apple had ditched the majority of the proprietary stuff except where it made lots of sense.
I thought that’s the way they still did it till I found out apparently Apple wireless chargers are all Qi but they simply lock out anything but their own. That’s some BS. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Lightning cables still work better than UsbC.  They don’t collect dirt.   You don’t see a lot of people having to clean out their lightning port carefully with a wooden toothpick.

The Lightning connector IMHO is superior to USB-C as a form of data connectivity. But USB-C is great for docking solutions and laptop charging as it can deliver between 60 to 100 watts of power whereas Lightning is limited to 9.

That said, Apple is a 2 TRILLION dollar company. They could throw us all a bone here and just open up the Lightning standard. But because it's not, it can't be an open standard.

None of that really surprises me as companies of that size are never altruistic. Small mom and pop stores? Can be, sure. Mega corporations? Hell no.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

The Lightning connector IMHO is superior to USB-C as a form of data connectivity. But USB-C is great for docking solutions and laptop charging as it can deliver between 60 to 100 watts of power whereas Lightning is limited to 9.

That said, Apple is a 2 TRILLION dollar company. They could throw us all a bone here and just open up the Lightning standard. But because it's not, it can't be an open standard.

None of that really surprises me as companies of that size are never altruistic. Small mom and pop stores? Can be, sure. Mega corporations? Hell no.

The advantage of lightning is the shape of the connector rather than its actual capacity which was much better than microUSB2 with which it was contemporary.  More keeping stuff too long. I don’t know what the limitations on the licensing of lightning are.  Generally half the standard is open which allows people to make peripherals for Apple devices but not make devices that can use those peripherals.  Or something.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:32 PM, Kisai said:

The more popular a company, or a person is, the more haters they have, for seemingly strange and arbitrary reasons. Even on this forum.

If you look at the big picture, Apple does not need to subsidize their devices. They make high margin luxury devices, not low-margin rubbish like Samsung that can't even run software the high end devices can.

Apple also has a massive R&D budget and develops software for the hardware and supports hardware for longer than other manufacterers.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

42 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The advantage of lightning is the shape of the connector rather than its actual capacity which was much better than microUSB2 with which it was contemporary.  More keeping stuff too long. I don’t know what the limitations on the licensing of lightning are.  Generally half the standard is open which allows people to make peripherals for Apple devices but not make devices that can use those peripherals.  Or something.

The lightning connector isn't superior at all. I know what Apple was trying to do with it, but it's mostly pointless since the idea is to put the connection circuitry in the cable rather than the device. So you end up with some really expensive, broken, "dongle tech" rather than any benefit. For example, I bought the HDMI dongle so I could do some screen capture stuff, the HDMI dongle drops frames when it gets warm... absolutely useless. So I then tried Newtek NDI (over wifi), nope, software drops audio sync with it, absolutely useless, along with some software just randomly changing resolutions. So the on-device screen capture (which saves to the NAND flash) ends up working better than both of these options, despite all three solutions effectively being the same "compress a h264 stream"

Where as I could have had a HDMI output from a USB-C connector that didn't do any of that. And that's just the frustration with the lightning connector. Had the USB-C connector been used (eg on the iPad), then either I could have captured the raw HDMI, or the device could have used NDI over wired ethernet.

Ultimately, if you want to screen grab a mobile app/game, you're better off with an iPad that has USB-C if you need an iOS version, because the lighting connector doesn't output the raw HDMI signal, otherwise just emulate the android version of the software on memu.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

The lightning connector isn't superior at all. I know what Apple was trying to do with it, but it's mostly pointless since the idea is to put the connection circuitry in the cable rather than the device. So you end up with some really expensive, broken, "dongle tech" rather than any benefit. For example, I bought the HDMI dongle so I could do some screen capture stuff, the HDMI dongle drops frames when it gets warm... absolutely useless. So I then tried Newtek NDI (over wifi), nope, software drops audio sync with it, absolutely useless, along with some software just randomly changing resolutions. So the on-device screen capture (which saves to the NAND flash) ends up working better than both of these options, despite all three solutions effectively being the same "compress a h264 stream"

Where as I could have had a HDMI output from a USB-C connector that didn't do any of that. And that's just the frustration with the lightning connector. Had the USB-C connector been used (eg on the iPad), then either I could have captured the raw HDMI, or the device could have used NDI over wired ethernet.

Ultimately, if you want to screen grab a mobile app/game, you're better off with an iPad that has USB-C if you need an iOS version, because the lighting connector doesn't output the raw HDMI signal, otherwise just emulate the android version of the software on memu.

It isn’t any more.  It used to be.  Lightning kicked ass all over MicroUSB2. It kicked even more ass over microUSB3.  I had a microUSB3 phone.  It was so bad I moved to Qi.  they kept it too long though.  MicroUSB2 is long gone as a major phone connector.  Now lightning is just a slower connector who’s only good point is it’s reversed nature which keeps it cleaner of lint. A minor and somewhat random thing that is overwhelmed by it’s slower connection.  Apple needs to switch to USBc

I did find out why Apple did it’s propietory thing with Qi though. It turns out Qi as a standard is dangerously loose.  It’s not the high Nd of Qi that is the problem.  It’s the low end.  Not a great argument.  What they should have done is make an open standard called Qi+ or something that tightened the low end of the standard, and allow other makers to use it.  Apparently Apple isn’t the only phone maker that does this.