Apple online store now live in India with greedy and out of touch prices

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

The wait is over. The much-awaited Apple India online store is here and it will go live in the country on September 23.

The Apple online store for India, which will be available on Apple.com/in, will now join similar e-commerce platforms that Apple has in 37 other countries, including the US and UK. The online store will be Apple’s first direct retail presence in the country.

The Apple online store for India will sell the company’s complete range of products, which includes the Apple iPhone line-up, the Mac computing device line-up, the iPad series’, Apple AirPods family, HomePod smart speaker and more.

I have 1 question, what is Apple smoking? 

A 64 GB upgrade costs 1359.22$ you could buy a 3090 for that cost, just shows how out of touch apple is with its customers in India. 

g6fasojlduo51.jpg?width=574&auto=webp&s=

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/the-most-expensive-mac-pro-device-on-apples-online-store-in-india-costs-over-53-lakh/article32677504.ece

https://www.news18.com/news/tech/rs-5302800-the-most-expensive-thing-on-the-apple-india-online-store-is-a-super-configured-mac-pro-2901283.html

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Also, I think that is for the Mac Pro thingie costing $50k USD?  

If so, lot of videos about it saying it's really not a bad purchase for production houses etc.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Get a micron DDR4 modules, slap an apple stickers, instant 300% profit.

Now that would make the investors smile.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1st of all everyone knows ram form apple is insanely priced. 

did you check if ram pricing is just all around higher in India? did you check for any import taxes there? 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Also, I think that is for the Mac Pro thingie costing $50k USD?  

If so, lot of videos about it saying it's really not a bad purchase for production houses etc.

This looks like it's for the iMac. The RAM speed is a bit low, but that's not the main factor driving the cost — it's the capacity.

And yes, the Mac Pro can make a lot of sense for a media editing house, especially if it relies on well-optimized tools like Final Cut Pro.

57 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

A 64 GB upgrade costs 1359.22$ you could buy a 3090 for that cost, just shows how out of touch apple is with its customers in India. 

In the US this same upgrade - on the 27" iMac - costs $1000. In the UK, it costs £1000 = $1275. Idk if that price in india includes tax or not, the UK one does, the US one does not.

But either way, such outrageous pricing isn't an India only thing. It's just Apple being Apple.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Memory for macs has for a very long time been famously messed up everywhere.  India is in no way special in this situation.  It’s messed up like that in exactly the same way everywhere and has been for many years. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

In the US this same upgrade - on the 27" iMac - costs $1000. In the UK, it costs £1000 = $1275. Idk if that price in india includes tax or not, the UK one does, the US one does not.

But either way, such outrageous pricing isn't an India only thing. It's just Apple being Apple.

its worse for india since they make less. apparently the average person makes 433 dollars per month 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

its worse for india since they make less

More noticeable perhaps.  Even More reason to get 3rd party memory sticks instead of buying the Apple branded memory, which is what I assume most people do anyway.  The impression I’ve always had was they mark the memory way up because companies that just order stuff blind will pay the extra cash.  It’s standard memory though and can be bought separately.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

its worse for india since they make less. apparently the average person makes 433 dollars per month 

Mind you, a person making $433 per month shouldn't be looking at any high-end computer, and might not have any computing device besides the phone in their pocket.

I love apple stuff but I cant really afford most of their products except iPads. 😄

Really though didn't they kind of build their empire from the beginning with crazy high prices.  😜😄

I wish apple sold a cheap laptop to compete with windows for people.

I've been wishing for that for years. 😇

😁

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Mind you, a person making $433 per month shouldn't be looking at any high-end computer, and might not have any computing device besides the phone in their pocket.

Remembering a discussion of this subject from over 20 years ago (Apple has been pricing their memory upgrades very high for that long) the way it went was while the memory is over priced, IF the cost of having a worker at the buying company do a memory upgrade instead (parts, labor, etc..) is taken into account it is often more in line, depending on the total cost of the upgrade for a particular business.  It may be that in India that math is off because labor costs are lower  and they're going to sell even fewer factory memory upgrades there than they normally do. 

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Remembering a discussion of this subject from over 20 years ago (Apple has been pricing their memory upgrades very high for that long) the way it went was while the memory is over priced, IF the cost of having a worker at the buying company do a memory upgrade instead (parts, labor, etc..) is taken into account it is often more in line, depending on the total cost of the upgrade for a particular business.  It may be that in India that math is off because labor costs are lower  and they're going to sell even fewer factory memory upgrades there than they normally do. 

That could play a role. I've looked at those upgrades like you would paying a mechanic to fix your car. The extra money you pay might be worthwhile if it saves you time that would be better spent elsewhere. If you're buying an individual computer and have the knowhow to shop for third-party RAM and install it, you'll save money... but if you're buying 20 computers for  a content team and want them ready to go the moment you open the box, that premium could easily be worthwhile.

13 minutes ago, Commodus said:

That could play a role. I've looked at those upgrades like you would paying a mechanic to fix your car. The extra money you pay might be worthwhile if it saves you time that would be better spent elsewhere. If you're buying an individual computer and have the knowhow to shop for third-party RAM and install it, you'll save money... but if you're buying 20 computers for  a content team and want them ready to go the moment you open the box, that premium could easily be worthwhile.

What it has long meant though is that if the device is bought by an individual for home use, unless they are for whatever reason unable to do the upgrade themselves, the memory upgrade should basically most often never be purchased  from Apple.  This can even apply to some business environments depending on costs.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

that was the point i was trying to make

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Apple's reason not to open stores in India is because no one was buying as it was expensive, now they've moved to india for their phone manufacturing and such apple got permissions to open shop here, one would expect they'd price it accordingly not price it as if it were US of fucking A.   

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Seems like OP doesn’t really know how exporting products to different countries work.

It’s Indian government’s ridiculous import tax that inflates the price so much. Apple still makes the same profit for an iPhone sold in US and India. All that extra money they’re charging you is directly going into the government. This is why all products in India are expensive, including the Xbox Series S which cost as much as Series X in the US

Isn't that a common problem in India? Like this isn't just an Apple thing, it happens to cars imported to India as well. A base model Porsche Macan starts at $57,800 CAD in Canada, the same car starts at 6,998,000 Indian Rupees in India. Converted back to CAD with the current exchange rate that's $127,150.51 CAD, more than double. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I have 1 question, what is Apple smoking? 

A 64 GB upgrade costs 1359.22$

It's not that different elsewhere... are we seriously acting surprised here?

image.png.702cceb1ebf21f0a0dfe4476c4508c02.png

image.png.306ee76bf33b56a6d057af03e32f726f.png

By the way wtf is up with EU prices holy shit

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple still makes the same profit for an iPhone sold in US and India. All that extra money they’re charging you is directly going into the government.

Yeah, God forbid Apple take the hit and lower their profit margin from 80% to something more reasonable to meet the needs of the market...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Yeah, God forbid Apple take the hit and lower their profit margin from 80% to something more reasonable to meet the needs of the market...

Their Government has been putting insane tariffs on practically everything coming into the country. Isn't it their own fault that even with protectionist policies that their own manufacturers can't meet the needs of their own people? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They have in the past. They sold machines at a loss for a while in the 90’s.  I remember a guy in the halls of my school trying to get other students to buy a share of apple stock for a dollar to keep them from going under.