"60,000 miles up: Space elevator could be built by 2035"

TopWargamer

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/176625-60000-miles-up-geostationary-space-elevator-could-be-built-by-2035-says-new-study

Imagine a ribbon roughly one hundred million times as long as it is wide. If it were a meter long, it would be 10 nanometers wide, or just a few times thicker than a DNA double helix. Scaled up to the length of a football field, it would still be less than a micrometer across — smaller than a red blood cell. Would you trust your life to that thread? What about a tether 100,000 kilometers long, one stretching from the surface of the Earth to well past geostationary orbit (GEO, 22,236 miles up), but which was still somehow narrower than your own wingspan?

The idea of climbing such a ribbon with just your body weight sounds precarious enough, but the ribbon predicted by a new report from the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) will be able to carry up to seven 20-ton payloads at once. It will serve as a tether stretching far beyond geostationary (aka geosynchronous) orbit and held taught by an anchor of roughly two million kilograms. Sending payloads up this backbone could fundamentally change the human relationship with space — every climber sent up the tether could match the space shuttle in capacity, allowing up to a “launch” every couple of days.

It may be possible to do by 2035, but that doesn't mean that it will be done by 2035. I mean, do I want this to happen? Yes, of course. It's such a cool concept. This article gives me some kind kind of hope that the first space elevator will be completed within our lifetime, but who knows. I really hope that it comes to fruition. 

But anyways, here's how the space elevator would work.

elevator-diagram.jpg

COMIC SANS

That imagine is so far out of scale it's not even funny :D

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

is that to scale because if it is that is rather large

It could be near about that because to have a geo-stationary orbit you have to be very far out from what I've heard.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Why would you want something like that?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'm dreaming of space elevators for years now, I hope it will be possible in my lifetime

144Hz goodness

Interesting. Perfect terrorist target.

I think it'd have to be a multi nation venture. It'd be cool if it happened, though.

Also...last time I checked, people don't have wings. How would we have a wingspan?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It's gonna get shot down by the bible thumpers and everyone who thinks it pointless, just you wait lol....

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

you just KNOW there will be this one guy on that elevator that will say

"OMG this is sooo slow COME ON "

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's gonna get shot down by the bible thumpers and everyone who thinks it pointless, just you wait lol....

How would "Bible thumpers" shot it down?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

It's not out of scale.That isn't funny anymore.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It's not out of scale.That isn't funny anymore.

The height might be in scale, but no way the actual width of the elevator is. Would the Climber be the size of a country?

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

The height might be in scale, but no way the actual width of the elevator is. Would the Climber be the size of a country?

Oh yeah,I wasn't even thinking about the width.

How would "Bible thumpers" shot it down?

They'll start protests and what not and hinder the development.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

About damn time..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

is that to scale because if it is that is rather large

Well, the earth is only ~8000 miles in diameter, so It's actually quite close in height.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

They'll start protests and what not and hinder the development.

How is going to space against the bible??

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

oh come on man you know how those bible thumpers are, anything that seems way out there to them is wrong. 

A scientific development on this scale is gonna a big deal to bible thumpers, their gonna start up theories like it'll collapse in mid construction and destroy earth because it can lol.... 

Well, the earth is only ~8000 miles in diameter, so It's actually quite close in height.

Yes, based on the given numbers no doubt the height is plausible, but I'm talking about the width and general size. Are we gonna have Germany as a counterweight? :D

Because then we might find out that earth is round and goes around the sun...

oh come on man you know how those bible thumpers are, anything that seems way out there to them is wrong. 

A scientific development on this scale is gonna a big deal to bible thumpers, their gonna start up theories like it'll collapse in mid construction and destroy earth because it can lol.... 

No.  I'm around these so called "Bible thumpers" on a constant basis, because of where I go to school and because of my religion. None of them are like that, and I know many of them. They're all very cool people and they wouldn't mind this kind of project. You're making Christians sound like crazy conspiracy theorists, when they clearly are not, at least the large majority of them are not. (No matter what religion, there's always those few radical groups, like Westboro.) 

You're grouping all of Christians into this group, and I hate it, and you need reevaluate your stance on Christians and science, because right now you're thinking in the completely wrong set of mind. 

COMIC SANS