Should i use windows server 2019 as my operating system?

Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,
Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Interesting. From just looking at it briefly, it seemed to function fine, but ill take your word for it.

Microsoft store? Gone. Windows subsystem for Linux? Gone. Syncing settings? Gone. Want to download something? Add the download server to your trusted sites first.

Windows Server is not a desktop OS.

I've heard that windows server is more secure etc than the normal consumer windows, but it is still useable as an normal everyday operating system.

I currently run win 10 pro, but i have a key for the windows server 2019.

So should i use that instead of the windows pro?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I wanna say you'll be able to control more aspects of the OS, but that's an assumption based off of folks using it as an OS to benchmark with.

@ShrimpBrime  Do you know the answer?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

No. Windows server is made for servers. It has a lot of stuff locked out or just missing that will cause you massive headaches if you try to use it like a normal desktop OS.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Windows server is not meant to be used as a normal PC

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

No. Windows server is made for servers. It has a lot of stuff locked out or just missing that will cause you massive headaches if you try to use it like a normal desktop OS.

Interesting. From just looking at it briefly, it seemed to function fine, but ill take your word for it.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Microsoft store? Gone. Windows subsystem for Linux? Gone. Syncing settings? Gone. Want to download something? Add the download server to your trusted sites first.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Ok, i don't care too much about the microsoft store and setting sync, but the downloading stuff part sounds kinda annoying.

I'll stick with win 10 pro for now i guess.

Win 10 workstation doesn't seem too different from pro, so i don't care much about it too.

1 hour ago, nick name said:

I wanna say you'll be able to control more aspects of the OS, but that's an assumption based off of folks using it as an OS to benchmark with.

@ShrimpBrime  Do you know the answer?  

Not usually ideal for a desktop.

Would be more head ache than worth for a gaming rig.

22 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Microsoft store? Gone. Windows subsystem for Linux? Gone. Syncing settings? Gone

So only up sides...

22 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Want to download something? Add the download server to your trusted sites first.

That doesn't sound too great but if it's not too complicated why not... Seems like a strange omission though, so servers can't receive any data from outside (like user generated files) because they'd obviously need to be *downloaded* first? 

Maybe I'm not understanding what a "server OS" is though and what's its general use case. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I set up a Windows Server 2003 install on an actual server. I had Dial Up internet at the time. I had left the machine plugged in to my modem, and was waiting for updates to finish, when I decided to run out and grab some Pizza. By the time I returned home, someone had broken into the machine via 26k dialup and had totally trashed the machine's OS.

I ended up formatting the drive and putting XP Pro on it lol

The server was an old, retired Dual PIII Xeon machine that my school got as a donation, and I got permission to bring it home to check the hardware. The school had a volume license for both Windows Server and XP Pro, so either one was legit. After I got Win XP Pro running on it, I set up a few programs for other students to play with, and took it back to school.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

• 3 years later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, BobVonBob said:

Want to download something? Add the download server to your trusted sites first.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, Origami Cactus said:

he downloading stuff part sounds kinda annoying.

At least with windows server 2019 Datacenter and 2022 Datacenter you no longer have to add download servers to trusted site first if you use a different browser like chrome or Firefox.