FINALLY... a Ryzen Mini PC

jakkuh_t

Intel has long reigned supreme in the low power mini PC market with their NUC lineup, but with MinisForum's new Ryzen based mini PC's on the market, this might just change..

Check out the DeskMini Indiegogo: https://lmg.gg/EPDZZ

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

if this is mini pc, what is asrock a300 ?

stop clickbaiting and defame yourself

2 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

This isn't clickbait and you clearly have no idea about the difference between an ITX system and a NUC-like PC

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

Please, do explain how this is clickbait?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I actually thought - not a clickbait title - its a Ryzen mini pc

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

34 minutes ago, The blaide said:

Why does Linus dislike this for a pfsense box?

Haven't watched the video yet, but if the mini-PC uses Realtek NIC, that'd be one reason to recommend something else, instead; Pfsense doesn't play that well with Realtek NICs. I have a mini-PC myself with dual Realtek NICs and one or the other crashes under heavy traffic, unless I use a custom driver, but that causes other issues.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

12 hours ago, Results45 said:

What's next? "ARMstations" running Steam on Linux?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15733/ampere-emag-system-a-32core-arm64-workstation

Does the Raspberry Pi count?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

15 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

the NUC's are mini pc's.

the NUC's are small but work as a pc.

the product show in the video is a mini pc.

it is small and it works as a pc.

please elaborate, 

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

Does the Raspberry Pi count?

Yes, but a multi-dozen core ARM "gaming PC" that can prove to match a Ryzen APU, 6700K or Ryzen 3 3100X/3300X with a mid-range graphics card in x86 emulation would have a higher novelty factor in a video.

I would love to see the same for a RISC-V equivalent in coming years.

6 hours ago, Results45 said:

Yes, but a multi-dozen core ARM "gaming PC" that can prove to match a Ryzen APU, 6700K or Ryzen 3 3100X/3300X with a mid-range graphics card in x86 emulation would have a higher novelty factor in a video.

I would love to see the same for a RISC-V equivalent in coming years.

People have been predicting that RISC would take over the world, in some form or fashion, since Blade Runner came out.  Now we are  past the year Blade Runner was set in and ... NOPE.  AMD or Intel will incorporate RISC V into their CPU's before that would happen. 

3 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

People have been predicting that RISC would take over the world, in some form or fashion, since Blade Runner came out.  Now we are  past the year Blade Runner was set in and ... NOPE.  AMD or Intel will incorporate RISC V into their CPU's before that would happen. 

ARM is RISC, just not RISC-V. I'll bet that at some point mainstream custom SoC design houses (Qualcomm, MediaTek, Marvell, Ampere, Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Nvidia, Tesla, etc.) will ditch ARM lisencing fees altogether and go 100% open-source. IBM recently made their own Power architecture open-source via OpenPower so I guess companies can also choose that if they're not going for maximum power efficiency.

The only option available to consumers right now are "design your own" SoCs and dev boards from Si-Five, but those are still much more expensive than picking up a Raspberry Pi 4 ($35-$60) .

Yes, AMD and Intel already have bits and pieces of lisenced ARM IP in x86/x64 products and will likely do the same with RISC-V within the next decade, but it will be interesting to see whether they stick to proprietary architectures or gradually transition to entirely to open-source.

My guess is that public adoption of RISC-V will go in the direction of Linux and other open-source software: become the developer and enthusiast's holy grail of grail of customizable hardware.

18 hours ago, Results45 said:

ARM is RISC, just not RISC-V. I'll bet that at some point mainstream custom SoC design houses (Qualcomm, MediaTek, Marvell, Ampere, Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Nvidia, Tesla, etc.) will ditch ARM lisencing fees altogether and go 100% open-source. IBM recently made their own Power architecture open-source via OpenPower so I guess companies can also choose that if they're not going for maximum power efficiency.

The only option available to consumers right now are "design your own" SoCs and dev boards from Si-Five, but those are still much more expensive than picking up a Raspberry Pi 4 ($35-$60) .

Yes, AMD and Intel already have bits and pieces of lisenced ARM IP in x86/x64 products and will likely do the same with RISC-V within the next decade, but it will be interesting to see whether they stick to proprietary architectures or gradually transition to entirely to open-source.

My guess is that public adoption of RISC-V will go in the direction of Linux and other open-source software: become the developer and enthusiast's holy grail of grail of customizable hardware.

ARM is RISC really I had no idea.    ARM is also devices are not open, in general they are closed.  Code that will run on one ARM device may be so "optimized" and specific that it won't work on another one.  

For ARM to take over would be a return to the pre IBM PC compatible era.  Where every manufacturer had their one arcitecture... often even completely different architectures for each computer.    For now most of the people writing code will be writing for the devices they use with other things like ARM being an afterthought.   We are a long LONG way still from most programs being hardware agnostic apps that run in browser etc.  (There's another thing that has been around the corner since the age of ...

Java chips.  

https://www.developer.com/tech/article.php/610041/A-Java-chip-available----now.htm

Anyone else remember these "revolutionary devices"?  LMBO. 

Now RISC V being built into the same CPU that runs X86 code that's different.  I can easily see Intel and AMD doing that.  Unlike ARM the price is right. 

• 3 months later...

So I see that Minisforum have a new Elite Mini UM700 that looks comparable but has the Ryzen 3750 and RX Vega 10.  Small upgrades.  Is this machine worth it?  I would be maybe doing some light gaming.  Tabletop Simulator on Steam.   I figure that would be fine but was maybe looking at buying an Oculus Quest 2.   I have no games in VR at this time but could this work with it for some VR titles?    

I guess I do not want to spend a ton of $ and the price point of the Elite Mini @$659 for 512GB of SSD and 16GB or RAM appears reasonable.