Custom WC loop outdone by AIO easily

Hey all,

Just wondering if I could have some advice. I have a feeling of what could be the issue (or one of them at least) which I’ll get into shortly.

So whilst playing games or even just a general heavy workload like encoding videos etc.. my CPU is getting to 75~+ even when room temp is around 18/19C.

i know the temp is fine, but I would expect a lot better considering Much cheaper AIOs on more powerful chips ie 3900/3950x pull in better numbers 10+C

My specs are as follows:

3700x

X570 Aorus pro

32GB DDR3200 Corsair rgb dominator

MSI trio 2080TI 

1x1TB NVMe, 1x 500GB sata ssd, 2x1TB HD, 1x8TB HD

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

EK velocity strike w/Cryonaught paste

EK O11D Distro plate

EK-Coolstream 360 (the thicc one)

Corsair LL-120 fans x5 (no fan header for 6th!)

I have 2 fans pulling into case from the bottom, 3 push exhausts on radiator (mounted at top) and the back fan mount an exhaust also.

I've double checked the manual for the EK block, it’s piped up as it should be, though, orientation,  does that matter?

My thoughts are that the LL120 probably don’t have enough oomph for the rad so heats just building up in the case and that having say Noctua F-120s on the rad would be better

Turn around the back exhaust into an intake just for some extra, cooler air. 

Any thoughts from you guys on what I could try or information you need (pics, tests etc..) I would be happy to answer 

thanks all,

Jimmy

P.s typed on mobile so I’m sorry if formatting gets messed around

13 minutes ago, oJIMoBOBo said:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

(Not an expert on water cooling, just tossing out an idea)

I see from a google image search, I see the case side if glass.

What if you run the case with the side open, and test under your normal heavy load, do you get radically better temps?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

OK, well first off forgive me if my "advice" is crap, as I don't do custom loops myself. But, I probably would have gone with a dual rad setup, having one rad at the bottom of the case pulling and pushing air into the case. I'd guess that you're not getting enough air into the case personally, so maybe adding more fans and a fanhub will help as a cheaper option.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1) As a general rule, your radiator fan direction should always cause cool external air to flow over the radiator. Not waste air from your GPU..

2) Check you removed the plastic peel from the bottom of the block

3) LL120s are not the best radiator fans, but should be within 5C of the NF-F12s.  

4) Check the speed of the pump. 

5) Get some fan splitters - you can power at least x2 LL120s from x1 fan header. (probably 3)

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

On 8/7/2020 at 2:32 PM, Radium_Angel said:

(Not an expert on water cooling, just tossing out an idea)

I see from a google image search, I see the case side if glass.

What if you run the case with the side open, and test under your normal heavy load, do you get radically better temps?

Tried the case side off a few times, only marginally better temps, a few degrees at best.

On 8/7/2020 at 2:34 PM, paddy-stone said:

OK, well first off forgive me if my "advice" is crap, as I don't do custom loops myself. But, I probably would have gone with a dual rad setup, having one rad at the bottom of the case pulling and pushing air into the case. I'd guess that you're not getting enough air into the case personally, so maybe adding more fans and a fanhub will help as a cheaper option.

The case has a total of 7 fan spots with the EK distro block (without it you can have another 3). I have 6 of those taken up currently so 1 more probably won't make a huge difference

On 8/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, WihGlah said:

1) As a general rule, your radiator fan direction should always cause cool external air to flow over the radiator. Not waste air from your GPU..

2) Check you removed the plastic peel from the bottom of the block

3) LL120s are not the best radiator fans, but should be within 5C of the NF-F12s.  

4) Check the speed of the pump. 

5) Get some fan splitters - you can power at least x2 LL120s from x1 fan header. (probably 3)

1) Will try that, have the bottom + back fan as exhaust instead

2) Yes, removed when I first got it.

3) 5 degrees is quite substantial but for £100~ more ill have to play around more before justifying that

4) Running at full speed

5) I've seen a couple you can control through internal USB which seems fairly handy as I'll have more control. Gigabytes fan control is pretty poor

On 8/7/2020 at 2:40 PM, For Science! said:

Bad mount and/or issues with auto-voltage or OC

I'll try a remount and see if that does anything - No OC but auto voltages

I thought about messing with the LLC, but I've not messed with it on an AMD chip and the opttions are text settings rather than +V like my old Intel board (If i remember correctly at least)

Thanks all so far,

Just to add some extra info, I had the side off of the case yesterday, had all cores between 20~25% load, and temp high after a couple of minutes was 62% ambient was around 25C. GPU was 34C

You should post your hwinfo of the core voltage (not pid). I am going to second that this is more than likely a voltage issue.

I have a lowly 3600 and it instantly jumps to 72C under load. 

I've tried 3 different cpu blocks on it and every time it's the same thing. My water temp is around 30C and the cpu still will jump immediately to 72C when I apply load.

This is VERY different from my old intel chips that would slowly creep up in temps.

I've read some people say because the 7nm chips are so dense they just cannot get the heat away fast enough no matter how much cooling you put on them. (except ln2 maybe?)

So I give up, apparently 70'ish is just the new normal for now.

It can be one of the following. 

Air not properly bleed from loop. 

Improper CPU block mount.

Motherboard overvolting CPU.

I have a 3900X under a custom loop with a 140x3 60MM thick rad and my temps like yours was close to 70. The cause was the motherboard was hitting the CPU with 1.45V. I did an override to the V-Core and put it at 1.3v which fixed it. Now I sit around low 50's and my CPU is boosting anywhere from 4.2Ghz-4.5Ghz or higher. If I was a betting man I'd say that's most likely your issue. Those temps are in summer with my system in the upstairs room so it gets quite hot just for some context.