what is your favorite linux distro ?

distros  

275 members have voted

1. 1. distros

I don't particularly like Manjaro or modern Ubuntu. They feel a little bloated and commericalised for my liking.

Arch seems pretty cool; the idea of insane customisability etc. But I'd have to get used to Pacman (not really as user-friendly as Apt because the commands are letter flags so it's not immediately clear what it does, unlike apt install where it's obvious it's installing something), and have the time to set it up. That's unfortunately time I don't have at the moment.

Currently I use Mint, and I love it. On Mint I stay a version behind current, that way driver support is a little more mature and it's better documented.

Mint is optimised for desktop use and has a focus on long term support and stability, which is exactly what I need. I also happen to find Cinnamon and Mate very intuitive.

As for Pop, Zorin, Elementary etc. - I feel like these are too abstracted, and really get in the way of truly learning Linux by trying to mimic a different experience. If the GUI holds your hand for everything, then you never really get to experience the command line, so as soon as you have to use it for something, it's confusing and horrible.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Right now, I'm using ArcoLinux (fork of Arch)

But my heart sets with Debian. I started with Squeeze ~10 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, yoge67855 said:

Arch is the best!

ahem

are you trying to refer to that famous arch meme?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

19 hours ago, mahyar said:

ahem

You're not an Arch user if you don't say "BTW I use Arch!"

I love using Arch for its rolling releases and its complete customisation it offers you. The new Arch Based distro im using now is Garuda Linux (Bests of Endeavour OS and Manjaro combined) 

1 hour ago, ElderKarr said:

You're not an Arch user if you don't say "BTW I use Arch!"

I love using Arch for its rolling releases and its complete customisation it offers you. The new Arch Based distro im using now is Garuda Linux (Bests of Endeavour OS and Manjaro combined) 

BTW i use manjaro

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

My newest favorite (there have been a few over the years) is AVL-MXE, based on MX Linux 19.3 --

Specifically, AVL-MXE-2020.12.03-openbox-i386 on a BIOS laptop with 4GB RAM (because I like performance).  Debian-based.

Runner-up is enchantmentos, which is available through SourceForge, running the ZFS file system.  It is xubuntu 20.04.1 'made easy.'  It is, IMO, the most usable and simplest 'buntu out there at this time.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, mahyar said:

ahem

no

• 1 month later...

I love Pop!_OS

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

I use Debian as a main system because that's what I learned to use but the GPU driver support isn't very good as well as repository packages are really old so I can say that I'd prefer Fedora or Pop!_OS because of newer repo packages and popular support (RPM and DEB files)

I plan on Fedora and/or Pop!_OS for my next PC, which isn't going to be for a while and seeing how many issues (small and big) Debian has caused me in the past year of having my current PC
My favorite from this list is Fedora.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:32 PM, mahyar said:

sorry if your favorite distro isnt in list you can type yours here 

My favorite linux based on looks is the pearOS. It is a Distro based on kubuntu. It has currently 2 versions at development - Thiccsur and SnowMojave. It has the Looks and feels of a Mac with Stability of the Linux. The Window Movement looks kinda cute. trying to use as my daily driver. I recently met the creator of this OS, Alexandru balan who took up this project after Mr. David Taraves quit creating pearOS long back ago. This is a UI good enough to give it a try

If you have anymore doubts about this - you can let me know : ).. Recently I have frequently contacted Alexandru balan - a young Man who loves linux

pear screenshot.png

Swithced from antiX to Miyo, so now it's Devuan

I have abandoned Debian after many years;  the only 'buntus used now are

enchantmentOS 20.04.1 and

Puppy LInux spins based on Tahr, Bionic or Xenial (but I intent to try the new Fossapup, soon).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late here, but probably my top favorites are Pop, Manjaro, Fedora and Solus. Also not surprised to see no one using Slackware.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they all get the job done. I personally like Gentoo because of portage and I am anal-retentive about what goes on under the hood.

---

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Linux mint is one of the best, since it looks really nice and is also ubuntu-based

It's also my personal favorite

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2020 at 3:02 AM, mahyar said:

sorry if your favorite distro isnt in list you can type yours here 

Solus

I'm a little biased here (I'm the lead dev for this distro). But I prefer Drauger OS.

To elaborate with more legit reasons why:

• Lightweight
  • Minimalist
  • Dark mode by default
  • Xfce desktop
  • Optimized for performance

17 hours ago, Batcastle said:

I'm a little biased here (I'm the lead dev for this distro). But I prefer Drauger OS.

To elaborate with more legit reasons why:

• Lightweight
  • Minimalist
  • Dark mode by default
  • Xfce desktop
  • Optimized for performance

Never heard of this distro but Id like to try it out. I have one important question however:

Does Parsec remote desktop access program work on it (so far there's only an ubuntu version)? Can I just easily install it from a .deb file?

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

5 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Never heard of this distro but Id like to try it out. I have one important question however:

Does Parsec remote desktop access program work on it (so far there's only an ubuntu version)? Can I just easily install it from a .deb file?

Yeah it should work just fine since Drauger OS is Ubuntu based.

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2020 at 10:15 PM, Bearpaddocks said:

Gonna' seem like an unusual one, but the easiest I've found so far for a newbie: Zorin.

I haven't "needed" to touch the command line ONCE (Have done to experiment though) and works straight out of the "box". If I wanted to, I think I could run the whole OS FULLY off a USB but not tried yet (Need better USB and ports). Brilliant for the old computers that I needed to put it on. Could be used as a daily driver, but I'm not at that stage yet.

Also, VERY easy to get online and install anywhere you want.

If anyone has suggestions for any other system that would be worth a try, tell me. I wanna know! I wanna learn! And I'm open to trying out new OS's.

Good, I hope Zorin keeps improving (I also use Zorin OS)