Me three.

Manjaro with i3.

21 hours ago, fuzz0r said:

Me three.

Manjaro with i3.

i ran manjaro on a e5200 !

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

1 hour ago, AndrzejL said:

I used to use Arch, nowadays my fav is ElementaryOS mostly because its stable, pretty and easy to maintain which was a big factor as I am stupidly busy at work - but I also appreciate system76 PopOS!

Cheers.

Andrzej

thanks for your opinion i personally like debian and manjaro debian because of availability on something like a raspberry pi  zero with very little power

and manjaro because of being based on arch and customizable gui.

cheers.

mahyar :) 

I like Ubuntu cause it's easy to use "out-of-the-box" and has extensive support/is well maintained. I'm currently looking into getting into cyber security field. I have an A+ cert and working on my Network+ and Security+. So I might be looking into Kali soon.

4 minutes ago, tonyfweb said:

I like Ubuntu cause it's easy to use "out-of-the-box" and has extensive support/is well maintained. I'm currently looking into getting into cyber security field. I have an A+ cert and working on my Network+ and Security+. So I might be looking into Kali soon.

my goal form my last two topics were to find out is it true that ubuntu is most popular distro and do the others think like me about old hardware

How do so many peole like Arch more than Ubuntu and Debian? I think Arch is too finnicky, I never use it, I use mainly Debian, Ubuntu, and occasionally openSuse. The reason I like Ubuntu is that it's easier to learn how to use certain commands in the terminal, especially since most of the installing commands are as simple as just 

sudo apt-get install

or 

sudo install

and such, and it isn't really complicated. I also really love Debian because you can just download a .deb application, and just double click it to install it instantly, kind of like a normal Windows .exe file. Along with that, universal installers (.jar files) are the best thing ever created. On Ubuntu. all you need to do is just use the command 

java -jar [filename.jar]

and it's installed... it doesn't get much easier than that! But for normal internet browsing, and just watching YouTube videos and Netflix, I use the stock Chromium OS developer software since I use Linux on my Chromebook. The one thing I don't like about Chromium OS, however, is that despite it being semi-open source, it is very scrict when it comes to security. You can't even install anything on it that doesn't come from the Chrome Web Store, and who even uses the Chrome Web Store? Maybe little kids who want to get slither.io "hacks" or a Cookie Clicker mod, but not many other reasons than that.

TL:DR - Ubuntu and Debian are the best, there's no arguing with that. But I think we can all agree that fedora is the absolute worst.

33 minutes ago, Splash3579 said:

How do so many peole like Arch more than Ubuntu and Debian? I think Arch is too finnicky, I never use it, I use mainly Debian, Ubuntu, and occasionally openSuse. The reason I like Ubuntu is that it's easier to learn how to use certain commands in the terminal, especially since most of the installing commands are as simple as just 

sudo apt-get install

On Arch most packages are as simple as

pacman -Sy package_name

Need to search for a package?

pacman -Ss keywords

want to use the AUR, just install a AUR helper such as yay. Yay use the same commands as pacman.

universal installers (.jar files) are the best thing ever created. On Ubuntu. all you need to do is just use the command 

java -jar [filename.jar]

jar files are not universal installers, they are just java applications. You can execute it the same way across any distribution, if your system is configured for it, you can also just click on it.

I also really love Debian because you can just download a .deb application.

Appimages, flatpaks, etc.. are becoming more common universal package formats across distributions that can just be downloaded and run or installed. A lot of applications have started transitioning to this.

How do so many peole like Arch more than Ubuntu and Debian? I think Arch is too finnicky, I never use it, I use mainly Debian, Ubuntu, and occasionally openSuse.

Arch has up to date packages and a very active community. It is very well documented, which is why you will see most people reference the Arch Wiki regardless of distribution. Has a central user repository, AUR, though also supports community repositories and you can find a list on the Arch Wiki. Has several community maintained packages that only target Arch, including drivers. The ability to pick and choose individual packages and dependencies. I personally don't find it finicky at all and have a lot less issues compared to Ubuntu, I personally run Arch as my only OS for work, gaming, and development.

Ubuntu's documentation is usually fairly outdated and lacking. Most of Ubuntu's community isn't very active. It's severely outdated compared to Arch. No Central repository, relies on individually maintained repositories, which you need to hunt for and hope its maintained. Granted PPA's are pre-compiled vs the AUR that needs compiled. Packages are tied to groups giving little option to pick and choose without rebuilding the package.

Can't speak for the rest.

Artix Linux  Its basicly arch without all the Systemd nonsence

CentOS is my distro of choice. 

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

Arch for my desktop, CentOS for my servers, Alpine (if it's something simple) or Debian (if it gets more complicated) for my Docker images, OpenWRT for anything really constrained without a MMU.

On 7/31/2020 at 5:51 PM, Splash3579 said:

sudo apt-get install

or 

sudo install

and such, and it isn't really complicated. I also really love Debian because you can just download a .deb application, and just double click it to install it instantly, kind of like a normal Windows .exe file. Along with that, universal installers (.jar files) are the best thing ever created. On Ubuntu. all you need to do is just use the command 

java -jar [filename.jar]

and it's installed... it doesn't get much easier than that! But for normal internet browsing, and just watching YouTube videos and Netflix, I use the stock Chromium OS developer software since I use Linux on my Chromebook. The one thing I don't like about Chromium OS, however, is that despite it being semi-open source, it is very scrict when it comes to security. You can't even install anything on it that doesn't come from the Chrome Web Store, and who even uses the Chrome Web Store? Maybe little kids who want to get slither.io "hacks" or a Cookie Clicker mod, but not many other reasons than that.

TL:DR - Ubuntu and Debian are the best, there's no arguing with that. But I think we can all agree that fedora is the absolute worst.

Installing stuff is as easy in any distro, be it an apt install, pacman -S or yum install.

Java files will run with the same commands you mentioned under any distro, since they are actually run under the JVM.

I like Arch mainly because it's rolling release (which means no dated software and libraries like in ubuntu or debian), and specially the AUR, where I can find pretty much anything I need. Way easier to use than messing with PPAs IMO.

I also have Arch installed under Crostini in my ChromeOS.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

• 2 months later...

I used to use Lubuntu

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

Gonna' seem like an unusual one, but the easiest I've found so far for a newbie: Zorin.

I haven't "needed" to touch the command line ONCE (Have done to experiment though) and works straight out of the "box". If I wanted to, I think I could run the whole OS FULLY off a USB but not tried yet (Need better USB and ports). Brilliant for the old computers that I needed to put it on. Could be used as a daily driver, but I'm not at that stage yet.

Also, VERY easy to get online and install anywhere you want.

If anyone has suggestions for any other system that would be worth a try, tell me. I wanna know! I wanna learn! And I'm open to trying out new OS's.

Ubuntu was the first distro I ever used and it's what I keep coming back to. Anything with a monitor attached just gets the latest LTS desktop, and anything without gets the latest LTS Server image. And anytime I need to spin up a Linux VM on my primary computer, it's always Ubuntu. Easy to use and I'm very used the core components like apt, systemctl, etc. And I love how easy it is to get proprietary drivers for any odd hardware bits I might need.

I used to distro hop all the time, but then when Ubuntu 12.04 came out I loved Unity and stuck with it.

i voted debian since I use it the most. 

my favourite *desktop* distro so far is manjaro+kde, though I need to find an alternative whose terminal app (konsole) doesn't tear with display scaling != 0 to really be satisfied

my favourite container OS is alpine, like basically everyone else

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

On 7/31/2020 at 1:51 PM, Splash3579 said:

--Snip--

it doesn't get much easier than that! But for normal internet browsing, and just watching YouTube videos and Netflix, I use the stock Chromium OS developer software since I use Linux on my Chromebook. The one thing I don't like about Chromium OS, however, is that despite it being semi-open source, it is very scrict when it comes to security. You can't even install anything on it that doesn't come from the Chrome Web Store, and who even uses the Chrome Web Store? Maybe little kids who want to get slither.io "hacks" or a Cookie Clicker mod, but not many other reasons than that.

if you want to "empower" your chrome OS, there's a few things I have tried and recommend for various uses:
1) chromebrew, a package manager that'll give you access to a lot of useful stuff

2) the "linux apps" feature, which is basically a VM with debian in it (though it's a pretty lightweight one, and allows you to run docker, I think gui apps as well but i never tried cause I don't gui much)

3) crouton, a collection of convenient scripts that I believe are basically a very fancy chroot that allow you to run multiple distros off of the same chromeos kernel. worked pretty well for me on my old chromebook which i used before the linux apps beta came out. I also can confirm I used x11 in there because I did it for a class in university. I abandoned it for the VM so I could gain systemd and docker support, but it did work well (and very fast)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

3 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

i voted debian since I use it the most. 

my favourite *desktop* distro so far is manjaro+kde, though I need to find an alternative whose terminal app (konsole) doesn't tear with display scaling != 0 to really be satisfied

my favourite container OS is alpine, like basically everyone else

well im pretty much like except i use debian for containers 

Just now, mahyar said:

well im pretty much like except i use debian for containers 

I hope you have a good reason for such heavy containers. I occasionally do use debian/9.x-slim or 10.x-slim when I need a base image that can't use musl c, or needs some other thing alpine can't easily provide, but that's not too common for me

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

I hope you have a good reason for such heavy containers. I occasionally do use debian/9.x-slim or 10.x-slim when I need a base image that can't use musl c, or needs some other thing alpine can't easily provide, but that's not too common for me

the thing is i dont use heavy containers so debian is sufficient 

Just now, mahyar said:

the thing is i dont use heavy containers so debian is sufficient 

You're missing the point. If your application is lightweight, alpine will allow you to drastically reduce your image size, which is usually something people try to do. One typically reserves heavier distros like debian for when they're the "last resort" due to an incompatibility like I mentioned with musl c.

So, as of now, 53% is for Debian-based, 30% is for Arch-based, and the rest is pretty much a nuisance (within Linux desktop space anyway). Interesting statistics :)

I keep using Kubuntu for years, as, for me, KDE is so much better than GNOME (GNOME would have been fine on a tablet or smartphone, but it is super inconvenient on a desktop), Ubuntu has quite a big community support, and my fingers are already used to typing "sudo apt install..." and "sudo dpkg -i ...", so I don't feel like switching :) I gave a shot to Clear Linux, it really feels much snappier than Ubuntu, thanks of its overuse of AVX instructions, but, for the same reason, it just kills the battery of your laptop and, apart from that, its swupd repository has too little software available (it also has weird problems with Youtube playback in Firefox due to licensing issues with ffmpeg).

9 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

You're missing the point. If your application is lightweight, alpine will allow you to drastically reduce your image size, which is usually something people try to do. One typically reserves heavier distros like debian for when they're the "last resort" due to an incompatibility like I mentioned with musl c.

Real devs static link their application and only leave that single binary in that container without any other userland bloat /s

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga