what is your favorite linux distro ?

distros  

275 members have voted

1. 1. distros

15 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well android has a lot of changes to become android so technically it caant be called a linux distro

Has Linux kernel? so is a Linux distro. 😎

Isn't GNU/Linux because don't have GNU tools, but still Linux.

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

Just now, themrsbusta said:

Has Linux kernel? so is a Linux distro. 😎

Isn't GNU/Linux because don't have GNU tools, but still Linux.

well a lot of things is different in android like how apps are running 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

9 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well a lot of things is different in android like how apps are running 

Well, the userspace is different, such as the one found in Chrome OS. It's still running linux underneath nevertheless. 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 minutes ago, igormp said:

Well, the userspace is different, such as the one found in Chrome OS. It's still running linux underneath nevertheless. 

ah ok

Kubuntu for me.  As much as I'm enjoying KDE Neon Testing Edition on my gaming desktop, Kubuntu has saner defaults.  Only reason why I switched to Neon on my desktop because of the newer Qt that Neon's using as opposed to Kubuntu.  Kubuntu was on Qt 5.12 until 20.10 vs Neon, which was on Qt 5.14 since 18.04.  I needed the newer Qt because that worked better with NVIDIA GPUs, and fixed the sleep issue that causes the desktop to look weird when waking up.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Endeavour OS.

Arch but with an easy to use installer and a friendly communitu basically.

1 minute ago, SuppaMan said:

Endeavour OS.

Arch but with an easy to use installer and a friendly communitu basically.

so basically manjaro

6 hours ago, mahyar said:

so basically manjaro

No. Manjaro uses its own repos.

EndeavourOS uses the Arch repos directly

100 votes as if november 2 

7 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i have manjaro on all my systems and i love it

yeah i love manjaro too but for work reasons i have to daily drive ubuntu

20 minutes ago, mahyar said:

work reasons

Care to elaborate? If's it's not super secret.

3 minutes ago, nox_ said:

tensorflow, AI and other cuda accelerated stuff 

6 minutes ago, nox_ said:

well i didnt thinks others would care to know

2 hours ago, mahyar said:

tensorflow, AI and other cuda accelerated stuff 

But why does it have to be ubuntu? I do that exact kind of stuff on arch. In case I need a different version of tensorflow, I just do a docker pull on some older version.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

But why does it have to be ubuntu? I do that exact kind of stuff on arch. In case I need a different version of tensorflow, I just do a docker pull on some older version.

well in my experience nvidia's documentation is better for ubuntu and i only use ducker for servers

19 hours ago, igormp said:

Usually though the reason why a work place picks a specific distro is not because the workload is impossible on others, but so that every developer can be sure that if it works on their machine it should work on everyone's. Same reason people use docker.

14 minutes ago, maplepants said:

Usually though the reason why a work place picks a specific distro is not because the workload is impossible on others, but so that every developer can be sure that if it works on their machine it should work on everyone's. Same reason people use docker.

Well, in my experience companies usually ship a default distro, but allow you to change it if you so desire (as I did in more than 1 place). I found it weird because it sounded like they were forced to use Ubuntu.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

Well, in my experience companies usually ship a default distro, but allow you to change it if you so desire (as I did in more than 1 place). I found it weird because it sounded like they were forced to use Ubuntu.

you got it all wrong i dont work for any company

the reason i use ubuntu because im noob with cuda stuff and nvidia's documentation is more focused on ubuntu and cuda toolkit (from what i've found) doesnt have an arch version  

18 minutes ago, mahyar said:

you got it all wrong i dont work for any company

the reason i use ubuntu because im noob with cuda stuff and nvidia's documentation is more focused on ubuntu and cuda toolkit (from what i've found) doesnt have an arch version  

Oh, you said "work reasons" so I assumed that you were working somewhere.

Installing cuda on arch is as easy as doing a 

sudo pacman -S cuda

And that's it, also gives you the benefit of being on the latest cuda version almost always.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

9 minutes ago, igormp said:

Oh, you said "work reasons" so I assumed that you were working somewhere.

Installing cuda on arch is as easy as doing a 

sudo pacman -S cuda

And that's it, also gives you the benefit of being on the latest cuda version almost always.

well thanks 

and by work reason i meant the research im doing which technically can be counted as work

1 hour ago, igormp said:

I think that depends on the size of the company. At any large company you often just get what they give you. Especially if there's not a support person, but rather a support department. And if you maintain your own repos, nobody wants to maintain them for multiple package managers unless there's an excellent reason to do so.

3 hours ago, maplepants said:

I think that depends on the size of the company. At any large company you often just get what they give you. Especially if there's not a support person, but rather a support department. And if you maintain your own repos, nobody wants to maintain them for multiple package managers unless there's an excellent reason to do so.

I guess it's more of a matter of how much they value developer productivity x standardization across the company. I work in a 4000+ people tech company with its own support dept, and they do allow some devs to install whatever they want over the ubuntu that comes by default.

Our own repos are ones from pypi and npm, so the base distro isn't a problem for such interpreted langs.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

My experience with Linux is limited and was a long time ago, if memory serves me, I was using ubuntu 10.04. I only messed around with ubuntu, mint, Debian and arch, but ubuntu was my default distro.