ROG Phone 3 Announced

zeusthemoose

Summary

Today, ASUS announced the ROG Phone 3. Its improvements from the ROG Phone 2 include a newer processor (Snapdragon 865 Plus), 5g support, up to 16gb of lpddr5 ram, up to 512gb of storage, improvements to the airtriggers, and a new feature that allows you to map in-game commands to a shake of the phone. Some nice features it shares with its predecessor are a 6,000mah battery and a charging port on the side. No offical price has been give, but it is estimated to be between $900-1,000.

Quotes

Asus’ new ROG Phone 3 aims to be the pinnacle of smartphones if you’re serious about gaming and having the fastest specs. The device features a 6.59-inch OLED HDR color-calibrated screen that has a fast 144Hz refresh rate with a 1ms response time. It’s powered by the Snapdragon 865 Plus chipset with 5G support, and it can be configured with up to 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 512GB of UFS 3.1 ROM storage. Both of those specs push the boundaries of what we’ve seen so far in a phone. Lastly, the ROG Phone 3 features a big 6,000mAh battery, as did last year’s model.

The ROG Phone 3 will almost certainly be great at normal phone stuff, like browsing the web, texting, and calls. But where it really stands out, aside from specs, is with its gaming-specific design features, which I’m happy to report are still a little weird but very cool. There’s still a side-mounted USB-C port, so the charging cable can stay out of the way while you game in landscape mode. It’ll even be compatible with Google Stadia when it launches.

(The Verge)

My thoughts

I do not follow gaming phones, so I do not have much experience with this section of phones. However, I think this is the expected next step for the ROG Phone. Unless there is something I missed about it, I do not see this being a device that much more popular than its predecessors.

Sources

The Verge

Digital Trends

ASUS Product Page

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

It's cool but there isn't really a point in separate "gaming phones."

I also lack post processing when I post so please refresh before replying as I probably edited my response!

Quote me if you want a reply! :)

Eh, it's the natural progression, bigger battery, faster screen, marginally faster processing power and a mediocre-at-best camera setup. Is the performance difference in games even perceptible compared to ROG phone II?

You've forgot the most important link of all:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

You've forgot the most important link of all

Please forgive. I didn’t see until after I made the post

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

I would have gotten it for the battery life alone if it had water resistance. I think I'm gonna look for a used 4 XL then

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

Tablet: iPad Pro 11” M1

I’d say an interesting thing to buy if most mobile games weren’t trash ( loot boxes , aggressive pay to win , advertisements and more )

the problem for me would not be the device but the games

theoretically it has the potential to be a somewhat own small product class : phone and mobile game console hybrid: has the mobility of a switch and can still do everything a normal smartphone can do 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

headphone jacks?

anyway, whats really worth playing o. a phone? any good 3d graphics?

37 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

headphone jacks?

Unfortunately not

34 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

No IP rating then?

Yeah, no IP rating on this one. I dont think any of the ROG Phones have had it though

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

I’d say an interesting thing to buy if most mobile games weren’t trash ( loot boxes , aggressive pay to win , advertisements and more )

theoretically it has the potential to be a somewhat own small product class : phone and mobile game console hybrid: has the mobility of a switch and can still do everything a normal smartphone can do 

Totally agree, I really enjoy a good RTS and I'd love to find one on my phone that isn't feature poor, P2W, a micro-transaction farm, etc.

Someone please just give me Red Alert or Sim City for $89.99.

This phone's an absolute beast. The best of the best, and the price they're asking for the hardware is actually pretty reasonable all things considered.

That said, I'd never buy it as the footprint is bigger than I'd want.

I have high hopes for the Note20, but we'll see.

I also can't wait to see what they've done with the Zenphone 7, and if they'll finally give it an AMOLED panel.

6 hours ago, Cat101 said:

It's cool but there isn't really a point in separate "gaming phones."

To you maybe. There's millions upon millions of people that play mobile games. They'd disagree.

6 hours ago, KingCobra484 said:

Eh, it's the natural progression, bigger battery, faster screen, marginally faster processing power and a mediocre-at-best camera setup. Is the performance difference in games even perceptible compared to ROG phone II?

It gets significantly better battery life with the same sized battery. There's also loads of other improvements, including thermal handling.

The camera actually isn't terrible. Most reviewers said it was more than serviceable. But really, you're probably not buying it for it's camera performance.

2 hours ago, Xaiux said:

I would have gotten it for the battery life alone if it had water resistance. I think I'm gonna look for a used 4 XL then

You're worried about battery life....and you're going to get a Pixel, which is known for having some of the worst?

2 hours ago, Escanor said:

I would not trust asus ever with updates they cant even fix armoury crate issue rgb breaks out of no where after broken updates 1 after another gets rolled out with many users reporting same problems, where even a clone of old install that worked for a month suddenly has same issues after updating, how they gonna manage to even keep phone updated that relies heavily on updates for security etc

Asus phones are actually really good with updates. Not only do they come frequently, but they also add features the community requests over time.

Updates was one of the better things I experienced when I had an Asus phone.

2 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

No IP rating then?

They can't because of the design.

46 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Totally agree, I really enjoy a good RTS and I'd love to find one on my phone that isn't feature poor, P2W, a micro-transaction farm, etc.

Someone please just give me Red Alert or Sim City for $89.99.

RTS and city building games would be absolutely horrible on a phone...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

This phone's an absolute beast. The best of the best, and the price they're asking for the hardware is actually pretty reasonable all things considered.

That said, I'd never buy it as the footprint is bigger than I'd want.

I have high hopes for the Note20, but we'll see.

I also can't wait to see what they've done with the Zenphone 7, and if they'll finally give it an AMOLED panel.

To you maybe. There's millions upon millions of people that play mobile games. They'd disagree.

It gets significantly better battery life with the same sized battery. There's also loads of other improvements, including thermal handling.

The camera actually isn't terrible. Most reviewers said it was more than serviceable. But really, you're probably not buying it for it's camera performance.

You're worried about battery life....and you're going to get a Pixel, which is known for having some of the worst?

Asus phones are actually really good with updates. Not only do they come frequently, but they also add features the community requests over time.

Updates was one of the better things I experienced when I had an Asus phone.

They can't because of the design.

RTS and city building games would be absolutely horrible on a phone...

I can't bear to leave the Pixel software for anything else unless it's got some killer hardware. By that I mean something like the Fold or the Rog phone with a massive battery. I'm not sure where Pixel phones get a bad battery rap from

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

Tablet: iPad Pro 11” M1

And my coworker just bought the ROG Phone 2 lol. At least that one has a headphone jack?

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

51 minutes ago, Xaiux said:

I can't bear to leave the Pixel software for anything else unless it's got some killer hardware. By that I mean something like the Fold or the Rog phone with a massive battery. I'm not sure where Pixel phones get a bad battery rap from

From pretty much every review, ever.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Beast of a phone, really specs are great, huge battery, it looks very good and not in your face, really to me lools better that most other phones that look all alike and have disgusting notch/hole in their displays. That alone is an instant no. Even if I wouldn't game on it it's a great option. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

It would be great for emulation however.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 less option to choose from.

No sd card, no headphone jack

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

would be great for emulation however.

most demanding stuff is psp that runs exellent already, other citra / ps2 are just programing issue

• 3 weeks later...

What's the point of "gaming phones", who buys phones for gaming, that's so stupid.

23 minutes ago, vortextech77 said:

What's the point of "gaming phones", who buys phones for gaming, that's so stupid.

Filthy casuals