Does Intel WANT people to hate them??

Actually this post reminded me that Intel opened H and B chipsets on LGA1150 to overclocking CPU cores with the release of the G3258. I'm not sure if it can overclock memory after such BIOS update though

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

0:26

- "... resulting in a real world performance improvement."

Spoiler

photo.jpg

5 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

lol I wish, AMD's CEO is too much of a pacifist to take the fight to intel.

Not sure what you mean? AMD is taking the fight to Intel in just about every way possible other than swinging fists directly.

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I wish you had added the only reason intel didn't lose more market share in the early 2000s was so illegal dealings. Bribing OEMs to use intel CPUs over AMD

So what my teach said was truth?

Christ, did intel get punishment for bribery? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

13 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

lol I wish, AMD's CEO is too much of a pacifist to take the fight to intel.

At this rate there is no need to.
Why even bother to take a shot at them when they are too busy blowing themselves up?

I mean Wil-E-Coyote could be the company mascot and it would fit perfectly.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

At this rate there is no need to.
Why even bother to take a shot at them when they are too busy blowing themselves up?

I mean Wil-E-Coyote could be the company mascot and it would fit perfectly.

Who's wil-e-coyote? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

1 hour ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

intel vs new york. they did but too late

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

They got sentenced, they appeal, then new ruling, delays, appeal... Last time I checked it was 10+ years and Intel was still not paying due to the court case not being fully settled.

13 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

They got sentenced, they appeal, then new ruling, delays, appeal... Last time I checked it was 10+ years and Intel was still not paying due to the court case not being fully settled.

Well with the economy in the slump now it's the perfect time to squeeze intel for cash to fix America's financial crisis. 

3 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Well with the economy in the slump now it's the perfect time to squeeze intel for cash to fix America's financial crisis. 

Really totally completely OT, but:

1) it'll take (considerably) more then Intel's money and

2) it needs a totally different political system as well as mindset of the people to fix "America" (USA in this case) and it'll have repercussions in Canada as well.

In all: desperately necessary, yet totally unrealistic.

(and that's all I'll be saying about it, as politics, specifically US, are not the topic in this thread. If you really want my opinion on how to fix that stuff, start a dedicated thread, but there's no guarantee I'll post there :P )

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

11 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Really totally completely OT, but:

1) it'll take (considerably) more then Intel's money and

2) it needs a totally different political system as well as mindset of the people to fix "America" (USA in this case) and it'll have repercussions in Canada as well.

In all: desperately necessary, yet totally unrealistic.

(and that's all I'll be saying about it, as politics, specifically US, are not the topic in this thread. If you really want my opinion on how to fix that stuff, start a dedicated thread, but there's no guarantee I'll post there :P )

I'm joy saying intel can fix America's financial crisis, but at least with the fines you can use the money to pay those you unpaid wages. What's a 1 billion dollar fine to intel any ways muahahaha

Edited by StrawberryShortCakes

I just made an account to open the debate on this topic, as I'm very confused after watching the video. I'm by no means an Intel expert, so I may be missing something, but I have developed motherboards for the telecom industry for several years. Why does Linus act like the motherboard has no role to play in the memory speed, and claims that the differentiation is 'entirely artificial'? It's not because the memory controller is on the CPU, that the motherboard will not play a limiting role on the maximum reachable memory speed. 

I have designed, simulated, drawn and validated layouts for memory in the past, and the higher the speed, the more tricky it becomes to do correct trace length matching, impedance matching, reflection optimization etc. to get proper signal integrity and eye openings. This creates an additional cost for the motherboard manufacturer, such as more layers on the PCB, more expensive connectors, lower tolerances, longer design and validation efforts, the need for blind via's, backdrilling and more. For me it kind of makes sense that the memory speed is more limited on the lower end motherboards.

What am I missing guys?

12 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Who's wil-e-coyote? 

I can't believe you don't know!

BTW I did missspell the name - It's Wile-E-Coyote and here he is. 

Wile-E-Coyote.jpg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

21 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I can't believe you don't know!

BTW I did missspell the name - It's Wile-E-Coyote and here he is. 

Wile-E-Coyote.jpg

Ah old cartoon, sorry 14 years old. 

I only watch anime, and kamen riders

17 hours ago, gloop said:

I doubt Intel are going to change anything, considering this has been going on for 5+ years.

Except AMD Zen didn't exist 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, Furyaan said:

I just made an account to open the debate on this topic, as I'm very confused after watching the video. I'm by no means an Intel expert, so I may be missing something, but I have developed motherboards for the telecom industry for several years. Why does Linus act like the motherboard has no role to play in the memory speed, and claims that the differentiation is 'entirely artificial'? It's not because the memory controller is on the CPU, that the motherboard will not play a limiting role on the maximum reachable memory speed. 

I have designed, simulated, drawn and validated layouts for memory in the past, and the higher the speed, the more tricky it becomes to do correct trace length matching, impedance matching, reflection optimization etc. to get proper signal integrity and eye openings. This creates an additional cost for the motherboard manufacturer, such as more layers on the PCB, more expensive connectors, lower tolerances, longer design and validation efforts, the need for blind via's, backdrilling and more. For me it kind of makes sense that the memory speed is more limited on the lower end motherboards.

What am I missing guys?

Sure, for cost cutting, in theory lower end cheaper boards should have less features. Except when the competitor does support those extra features in their lower end boards. Then you have a problem.

Playing Devil's advocate here, this isn't a case of Intel limiting memory speed on it's budget chipsets, it's a case of Intel limiting memory overclocking on their budget chipsets.  Which makes sense as they have been limiting CPU overclocking on those chipsets since Sandy Bridge in 2011.

To be clear I don't like either practice, but there is a difference between what Intel are actually doing and what many seem to be flaming them over.

so did LTT took the ROG Strix H470-I Gaming with a 10gen cpu and test it wen you put 3600mhz ram in there? 
pll say they still be able to get 3600mhz on it. im defending LTT at the moment but they just say linus is lying his ass off.

regards 

While it sucks that Intel do this, it has been like this for years.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, GabenJr said:

Intel’s lack of understanding of what its customers want has damaged its credibility in the industry. It’s not too late, though: Intel can still fix its 400-series budget chipsets.

I could write pages about how right Linus is on this one, but I suppose a simple personal anecdote will have do, since after all, that's what the internet does best.

I've never thought of myself as a fanboy of any particular product or company, although I do have a tendency, like many of us, to buy products from companies that have done a good job in the past at engineering a reliable and stable product. I've been buying Intel Products since my first Pentium, and I've in the past even been guilty of a bit of mockery in the past of the other team, like when my Dad bought an Athlon processor and MB from an SI against my advice (obviously a silly conceit in retrospect as the Athlon was a solid line of chips).

To make a long story short, when I began looking at starting my next PC build as I've made pretty much all reasonable upgrades I can make to my current spec, I began my journey looking at the Intel 9th gen K's last year, but found the number of PCI lanes limiting to my future growth. Based on a tip from a friend of mine before the start of the CoViD hardware shortage situation I checked out the new line of 10th gen X series HEDT processors, as they had "all the PCI lanes" according to him. And to be fair to my friend, he was right, the X299 and 109xxX series chips have the greatest number of potential of lanes Intel has to offer on their consumer desktop motherboards. Although there were only a few boards I could find that actually utilize this "upgrade" from 44-48 lanes that the 10th gen offers, but you must flash the bios to do so, because what Motherboard manufacturer would craft a fresh new motherboard for this farce of a line. Even if I decided to settle for this paltry offering, you can't really find the chips available in any event at any of the mainstream consumer retailers (without a hefty markup from 'marketplace' resellers), although I've been told that B2B suppliers can order them direct from the manufacturer. That doesn't help me, since I can't use the corporate account to order chips for my personal PC anyways. 

When Intel launched the LGA 1200 this year, I had hopes that they would finally be introducing PCIe 4.0 support, which would solve the problem of PCIe lane dearth that seems to plague late PCIe rev. 3 platforms, but rather than garner goodwill by advancing technology through excellence in engineering (for massive profit) as the Intel of decades past would, they've shown the current company is only interested in fleecing customers for yet another iteration of 4 year old tech, as they gate off more features, and offer very little difference for the socket and chipset change. I won't resort make arguments as pedestrian as "cash grab", if a company is giving a genuine benefit to consumers, I don't care how much effort they must expend to do it, I'll pay for the benefit, but this offers little. 

For the first time in quarter century, I am genuinely considering AMD, which I am still coming to grips with, but I think I'm at cusp of the bargaining/acceptance stage of grief. Sadly this is a fairly common tale of business school management at these publicly traded tech behemoths it's driven companies in the ground and out of their initial marketplace of dominance. Sometimes they survive by diversifying, other times they fail because their reliance on their core market couldn't survive the loss of goodwill. I'm inclined to think Intel will survive, but it seems like their decades of dominance in the consumer PC space is clearly on the wane. RIP Intel Desktops: she was a good machine, once.

FLAGSHIP: CPU: Intel I9-12900KS |CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i 360mm AIO | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero  | RAM: 32 GB (2*16) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 6200mhz | GPU:  ASUS ROG Strix OC RTX 3080 Ti  | Case: Fractal Design Define 7 | PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-1000 | Boot SSD: 2 TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 NVME SSD | Storage SSDs: 2 x 2 TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD  | Monitors: 3 x 32" Dell S3219D  | OS: Win 10 Pro

BLACKBOX: CPU: Intel I7-4790K |CPU Cooler: Noctua U12 Chromax.White | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 32 GB (4*8) G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia FE RTX 2060 SUPER | Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 | PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-550 | SSDs: 2 x 500 GB Crucial MX500 SSD | HDD: WD Black 6 TB HDD | OS: Win 10 Pro

Linus is flat-out, hands-down, no-other-way-to-put it wrong about this being a "new" thing that Intel is doing in any way. It's not. They haven't changed anything at all about how RAM works on B and H series boards.

Is is a shitty restriction? Yeah! Is it a shitty restriction that has existed for at least a decade? Also yeah!

Who wrote this video, seriously.

7 minutes ago, Akira13645 said:

They haven't changed anything at all about how RAM works on B and H series boards.

Right, I was thrown off by this as well.  Why try and introduce this as it's something new for Intel.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"