New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben
4 hours ago, syiona said:

Just found this thread after I started having this issue 2 days ago. My computer would just start being incredibly slow and unresponsive at a random time even though I could still move my mouse around, forcing me to shut it down with the power button. Guess I'm just going to uninstall CAM for now... even though it means my lights will go back to just being white. 😞

Yes, that is exactly the behavior of the problem we are having here because of CAM.

Still waiting for a fix.

I legitimately thought it was another issue and was worried something was wrong with my PC lol... Hope they can fix it soon.

Came across this thread, my computer does something similar but I don't know if it's exactly the same.

I have the similar symptoms of being able to move the mouse but cannot open any programs or close any existing ones. Also cannot do anything in the currently open programs. Start menu works, but pressing shut down/restart does nothing. Have to do a hard reset. Any programs that were open and settings have changed, they will be rolled back to older settings. Also my system clock freezes!

4 hours ago, apexcrisis said:

Came across this thread, my computer does something similar but I don't know if it's exactly the same.

I have the similar symptoms of being able to move the mouse but cannot open any programs or close any existing ones. Also cannot do anything in the currently open programs. Start menu works, but pressing shut down/restart does nothing. Have to do a hard reset. Any programs that were open and settings have changed, they will be rolled back to older settings. Also my system clock freezes!

Something like this, right?

13 hours ago, Arnau said:

nice, so 8 month later, the bug is confirmed LOL. This is also not happening only in Ryzen PCs... i have an INTEL and I'm havig same issues we all have...

Same here , i have intell I9 10900 and i have same issue as all .

I hope they will fix this very soon or at least to get a version of CAM that removes some CPU monitoring aspects

Similar to others in this thread I made an account specifically to comment on this issue. I had my PC running in an NZXT case w/ NZXT CAM (AMD 3600, RTX 480 8g) and things were going great, no freezes like this for close to 6 months. Fast forward to January I managed to find a RTX 2080 for an awesome price on Facebook Marketplace. I pulled the trigger and installed the EVGA RTX 2080 with the fan speed/temp monitoring software Precision X1. After a few days my PC started freezing (just like described here, mouse moved, some programs opened, nothing really worked, required hard reset).

At first I thought it was a power supply issue (was only using a 500w EVGA PS) so I went out and bought a brand new BeQuite 750w PS. After installing it my PC froze a day or two later. I then searched all throughout the internet on what it could be. Found forums telling me it might be an SSD issue, so I then proceeded to buy a brand new 1tb SSD. Luckily before reinstalling Windows on it I found this thread. Really excited that I have seemed to find the issue but disappointed that so many like myself have spent money buying new parts. I was even a moment away from returning a perfectly good RTX 2080 I bought for $550 all because I couldn't solve what was going on. I really hope NZXT can put out a more public statement to prevent people from making the same mistakes as some of us in this thread. My solution is not running NZXT cam from windows and only opening it if I want to switch RGB or fan profiles.

TLDR: Computer was working fine with NZXT CAM until installing Precision X1 to monitor my new RTX 2080, freezes occurred ect. Going on 2 days + with no freezes with NZXT CAM no longer running in the background.

4 hours ago, Dark-vash said:

Yeah thats the exact issue.

7 hours ago, Dark-vash said:

This is what it's like for me, very similar.

12 hours ago, Dark-vash said:

Exactly the same problem !!!! Intel I9 10900K CPU!

Hi all, sorry for the delay - We have a build that may help us investigate this issue:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cam-columbus-dev/NZXT%20CAM%20Setup%204.22.0-dev-feature-disable-gc-cleanup.2.exe

If you've encountered this issue, please install the build above and leave it running. It won't function correctly as CAM, but it will help us pinpoint the cause(s) of this bug.

Thanks
Jeff

4 hours ago, nzxt_jeff said:

Hi all, sorry for the delay - We have a build that may help us investigate this issue:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cam-columbus-dev/NZXT%20CAM%20Setup%204.22.0-dev-feature-disable-gc-cleanup.2.exe

If you've encountered this issue, please install the build above and leave it running. It won't function correctly as CAM, but it will help us pinpoint the cause(s) of this bug.

Thanks
Jeff

I think in the meantime you could release a firmware update that will allow users to control the pump speed via BIOS (I don't know if it was intentional to prevent this or is this another bug)

6 hours ago, nzxt_jeff said:

Thanks
Jeff

I can't even login. Is it normal? should I test it with the "guest account"? Or should I just leave it open? What evidences should we collect? 

6 hours ago, nzxt_jeff said:

Thanks
Jeff

How will it do that?  How do you know the results after I install and run it?  Is there some instruction you forgot to give us?

23 hours ago, Yakob18 said:

TLDR: Computer was working fine with NZXT CAM until installing Precision X1 to monitor my new RTX 2080, freezes occurred ect. Going on 2 days + with no freezes with NZXT CAM no longer running in the background.

That all looks like circus of jerks))))) And jerks - we are. Circus name is - NZXT CAM

Cause at one time we begin to guess problem in AMD, then we found anothers who have Intel but issue is same. My friend, I have Precision X1 on autorun (but I installed it to try change color on 2060 lights only)))) - and I don't have this bug on my Intel, but my wife has no Precision X1 on her AMD - and she have issue)))))

You see - it's a vicious circle!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 We guess we found decision - but next day we have another one guy who talking that he has freeze with our "decision"))))) and so it repeats again and again))))) It's just gonna go on and on...... I don't know what NZXT CAM's team doing in they're updates 4........ 4.22, no fixing 8-month-old bug (8 month it's only topic on this forum..... I gues problem is older & many people begin to change their hardware thinking it's not working correctly, but problem in CAM software in truth)

@nzxt_jeff I've also been dealing with the CAM windows crash issue 2-3 times a day or so.  I have a 5800x paired to a Asus X570 Prime Pro, EVGA 2080 FTW3, Only ICUE and CAM are running when the crashes happen.

I have noticed I've been getting a few errors here and there in the event viewer.  Not sure if this is related at all, the timing is also not lining up with my crash times, although I'm almost curious if it can't catch the error in time and so it is not recorded.  Event viewer error: request thread encountered an error: Failed to send result: Io(Os { code: 232, kind: BrokenPipe, message: "The pipe is being closed." })

I submitted a ticket and logs on the dev build you provided (Subject: Cam Crashes #927823).  I'll submit another ticket with the updated logs in a day hopefully it can help you guys track it down.  

Update: experienced a crash submitted the logs under Cam Crashes Log 2 #928660.  System soft locked and I wasn't able to close out cam in time.  Chrome and all open applications seized up.

image.png

**** EDIT: FREEZES STARTED AGAIN SO THIS DOESN'T FIX IT !!! ****

____

I think I found something important..

I did "How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands" and guess what...

I have keep computer running 24/7 last 3 days and freezes are gone for now.

Windows 10 PRO 20H2 / Intel I9-10900K / CAM 4.21.0

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

I have a strong feeling that CAM software installation corrupts or replaces some critical Windows files/components. Correct me if I'm wrong..

3 hours ago, Monkas said:

I think I found something important..

I did "How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands" and guess what...

I have keep computer running 24/7 last 3 days and freezes are gone for now.

Windows 10 PRO 20H2 / Intel I9-10900K / CAM 4.21.0

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

I have a strong feeling that CAM software installation corrupts or replaces some critical Windows files/components. Correct me if I'm wrong..

I'll give that a shot and see if it keeps my system stable.

Edit: Still crashing.

I am sad to acknowledge, that I was right month and a half ago, when I stated that this nonsense won't get any proper solution any time soon. It is defeating to see that such a trivial and simple application is capable of causing such critical issues, still. I did, exactly what I've said I would do; sold every single piece of equipment with the NZXT logo on it. Lost a bunch of money by doing so in the process, but peace of mind has no price, really. 

Good luck you guys.

This is unacceptable. I own my new PC since January, lost 3 months to find that CAM was causing issues. Now i m waiting for a fix everydays. I recieved this email :

"Hi!

We have a test build that will help us diagnose and correct this issue. This build will not function as expected as a CAM application. If you run the application (you can simply leave it in the background) and let me know if you still encounter slowdowns/freezes, it will help pinpoint the exact cause of the issue."

In short, i pay for a lot of money for a quality product and i m asked to become a tester, without knowing if this software will still cause the same problems i have already encountered ( fps drop , win instability ... ). Even with unistalling i had to format 2 times. So i fear to install a NZXT software now.

I'm thinking to ask a refund.

7 hours ago, Cheng09 said:

I am sad to acknowledge, that I was right month and a half ago, when I stated that this nonsense won't get any proper solution any time soon. It is defeating to see that such a trivial and simple application is capable of causing such critical issues, still. I did, exactly what I've said I would do; sold every single piece of equipment with the NZXT logo on it. Lost a bunch of money by doing so in the process, but peace of mind has no price, really. 

Good luck you guys.

I do the same. I am so sick of this mess. I will never buy or recommend anyone with products with the NZXT logo again. This company is no longer on the trusted list. Keep your shit CAM software and good luck for the future.

I wish they'd just give us a heavily cutdown service that just allows you to set rgb colour and a simple pump curve. It's almost certainly all the monitoring features that hook into low-level OS functions that cause these problems.

On 3/31/2021 at 1:04 PM, nzxt_jeff said:

Thanks
Jeff

Hello, Jeff. I'm sure we're all very pleased to see you here (myself included). I was wondering if I could get more clarification on this software you've posted here and perhaps a way for us to verify who you say you are. Should we remove all traces of our existing CAM software before installing your troubleshooting version? If so, what method would you prefer? How does it help either us or you pinpoint the cause exactly? I see your post history is contained entirely within this thread and your user status is simply "Member" like the rest of us. Is there any way we could get a moderator in here to confirm your identity? We wouldn't want some random unknown with a convincing story getting people to download nefarious software doing g-d knows what. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, who here has iCUE installed as well?  I had to reinstall the OS due to this issue, I haven't installed iCUE yet and so far I've had no crashes (fingers crossed).  I wonder if they will start here shortly, or if it is potentially just a bad interaction with iCUE.

@nzxt_jeffany updates?

icue & armourycrate here. got this problem on 2 computers, both had iclue and asus Armourycrate.